Speed issues and how to remove "IntegoStatusItemHelper" from Login items?

Reaction score
I have a mid 2010 15 inch macbook pro. Recently I have upgraded the software to OS X El Capitain and I also upgraded from 4GB of Ram to 8GB (Crucial). The Laptop is running ok but the the start uptime is slow about 90 seconds. from switching on to seeing the desktop. I was able to remove other items from the Login Items but I can't seem to get rid of "IntegoStatusItemHelper" (it has a yellow triangle next to it) I believe this is related to the antivirus I had on the machine Virus Barrier Traffic Monitor 10.6.12.(1) I removed this application by dragging it to the trash but IntegoStatusItemHelper still shows in login items and the minus option to remove it is grayed out. I am not that familier with macs so am unsure of any way to remove this item which might be slowing the boot up process down. If anyone has any advice on this I'd be very grateful.

Alternatively perhaps a 90 second start up time is normal for a mid 2010 macbook pro with OS X El Capitain installed even with 8GB of Ram. I understand that upgrading to a SSD would be useful however current funds don't stretch to that at the moment and I would appreciate any advice that might help me speed things up a bit.

Thank you in advance!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
When you dragged the Virus Barrier app to the Trash, it left behind its kext. (kernel extension) This is the same in Windows as deleting an application but leaving behind its driver which starts automatically. There are several ways to get rid of the kext but since you're unfamiliar with Macs, probably the best way is to reinstall the Virus Barrier software and then use its official uninstaller to remove it. Give that a try first.

OP
S
Reaction score
When you dragged the Virus Barrier app to the Trash, it left behind its kext. (kernel extension) This is the same in Windows as deleting an application but leaving behind its driver which starts automatically. There are several ways to get rid of the kext but since you're unfamiliar with Macs, probably the best way is to reinstall the Virus Barrier software and then use its official uninstaller to remove it. Give that a try first.

Thank you for your reply. I will try that and see if it helps. I might just try to rebuild the macbook from scratch and do a fresh install of El Capitain when I have time and then add only the software I need and see if that speeds it up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.