Spark went off as I plugged in Macbook Pro plug. Should I be concerned?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 16 Inch 2019 MacOS Catalina 10.15.3 (19D76)
I was plugging the Macbook Pro's plug into a UPS while it was already plugged in. The plug sparked and an the alert sound went off from the Mac.

I'm wondering if I should be concerned.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I was plugging the Macbook Pro's plug into a UPS while it was already plugged in. The plug sparked and an the alert sound went off from the Mac.

Sparking or arcing when plugging in chargers, esp. if the prongs are not even, is a common 'complaint' when searching the web - for myself, I've had this happen many times without a problem - here's an interesting thread on MacRumors, if interested.

Now I've never had my laptops make a warning sign or beep so maybe others might 'jump in' with comments. Now if the AC socket is damaged or the charger seems to be 'hot', discolored, or malfunctioning, then those issues need to be addressed. Dave :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Was it a genuine Apple power supply or a third party? Sounds like a third party, as the Apple has very robust isolation of the MBP from the mains power as the conversion is done. Third-party chargers often take shortcuts that are not so robust.

Also, was the "alert" sound just the normal "bong" alert when the MBP detects power?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Why did you plug the MBP into a UPS? It's not needed for any portable device.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Why did you plug the MBP into a UPS? It's not needed for any portable device.
Good point Bob - I've always just plugged the lappie chargers into a decent surge protected strip (but remove the power cord when an electric storm is in the area) - my iMac is attached to an APC UPS, as are my electronics to cheaper ones. Dave

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Usually I plug the "brick" into a power board with the MBP disconnected at the MagSafe connection. We have switches on our wall outlets and most power boards in Australia so more often I'm plugging the transformer into a "dead" outlet but when I don't there is sometimes an audible "tick" indicating a brief arc.
The best practice in either case is to plug the charger in prior to connecting it to the device.
I've never heard a beep on connecting the power but as Jake mentioned there is always the characteristic "blonk" sound indicating AC power connected.

Reaction score

My experience is that when you take your Mac into an Apple brick and mortar store for them to have a look at it, and you tell them that it is doing something that might lead to a fire, they really perk up and do anything and everything to make sure that your device is safe. So that's what I would do.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.