Sound coming from my Macbook

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a problem with my Mac that I'm a bit concerned about that I just noticed today. About every 10 seconds, there is a noise coming from the front right part of my computer just below the arrow keys. It sounds like a click similar to what you might hear on a hard drive that is just turned on. Any ideas what this might be?

My computer is 7 months old, MacBook, 2.0 Core 2 Duo, 80 gb hdd, 1gb ram.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
Make sure you have the proper firmware updates. There are some updates related to fan/heating issues that may fix this. However, if it is definitely a clicking noise, I'm not sure. Is it coming from you CD drive? Is the drive working correctly?

OP
M
Reaction score
It's coming from the right front so I am worried that my hard drive is going up.:( A bit disappointing after only 7 months but at least it won't be outrageous to fix myself. So long as this doesn't occur 2 times a year...

OP
M
Reaction score
I'm backing it all up now to a network drive but it actually hasn't been making the noise anymore. I'm hoping maybe it was just overheated or something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 C2D Macbook
pretty sure I have the same problem.
Every once in a while I get a clicking sound
It goes away and has only happened 2-3 times since December

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
I've had this happen also. The last time was after a bad dvd (I don't know if it was scratched or what) got stuck in the superdrive. The noise stopped two days later.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
My MacBook regularly clicks the hard drive in general use, both it's original drive and the new one I've fitted. I just assume it's OSX doing things, but hard drives often click around on their own, doing heat calibration and stuff.

Reaction score
Yeah it happened to me too ....I can't believe it.
i thought it was just my macbook .
What could it be ?
Could it be the overheat ?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.