Songs missing from MBP but still on iPhone

Reaction score
Since upgrading to Yosemite several songs have disappeared from iTunes on my MBP. They are however still on my iPhone. If I sync, will the Mac retrieve the missing songs from the phone or will the phone's songs be lost as well? What should I do?

C

chas_m

If the songs were bought from iTunes, this is a non-issue, since you can just re-download them. If ripped from CD, simply re-rip them if the number of lost songs is small.

OP
O
Reaction score
I don't understand why if the songs are missing as opposed to deleted, iTunes would not simply import them from the device. Seems like a no brainer.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't understand why if the songs are missing as opposed to deleted, iTunes would not simply import them from the device. Seems like a no brainer.

Part of the reason it doesn't sync "backwards" is to prevent piracy or the illegal copying of music from unauthorized devices to iTunes. You can purchase third party software that overcomes this. Do a search with Google or another search engine if you're interested in reverse syncing your music.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.