Songs in playlists

Reaction score
good morning.
If I have a song of 2mb in the iTunes Library and I drag it into a created playlist, does this means that my total HDD counts 4mb( 2+2)? Or all songs in playlists are like "ghosts" of iTunes Library.
I have more than 1500 pages of books but could not find this answer.
Thanks for your attention.
Rakham

Reaction score
Consider any title in an iTunes playlist as an alias/shortcut to the mp3 or whatever the file is. Copying a title from one list to the other creates another pathway to the mp3.

OP
R
Reaction score
Ok thanks for your prompt reply.Absolutely clear now.
By the way, I am amazed to see how many books and forums in many languages this little piece of hardware(iPod) and software(iTunes) can generate!
Bests regards
Rakham

Reaction score
But don't confuse this in the iTunes preferences, under the Advanced tab, where it offers to "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library." If that is checked, you will indeed duplicate the mp3.

Reaction score
But don't confuse this in the iTunes preferences, under the Advanced tab, where it offers to "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library." If that is checked, you will indeed duplicate the mp3.

In regards to this, if I have some songs in one folder that were "linked to iTunes) and I have checked that box, then I can delete the original songs, right?

Just want to make sure before I do so, but I don't need 2 copies of the songs...

BTW: I do see them in the appropriate fold under iTunes, but i'm just being extra careful before deleting them....

Reaction score
If you have two music files and one is in the iTunes music folder, its probably safe to delete the other. But I can't see your setup to be absolutely certain.

If you zip the song not in the iTunes folder, but iTunes can still play the song, you'd know for sure. If all the files not in the iTunes folder are in a single other folder, zip the entire other folder and see what happens with iTunes when you click songs in the playlist. You could also run a search for .mp3, for example, and see how many duplicates show up. I'm not sure, though, whether all the .mp3 suffixes must be set to visible in their Get Infos. (I'm working in OS 9 at the moment and can't check that.)

Reaction score
If you have two music files and one is in the iTunes music folder, its probably safe to delete the other. But I can't see your setup to be absolutely certain.

If you zip the song not in the iTunes folder, but iTunes can still play the song, you'd know for sure. If all the files not in the iTunes folder are in a single other folder, zip the entire other folder and see what happens with iTunes when you click songs in the playlist. You could also run a search for .mp3, for example, and see how many duplicates show up. I'm not sure, though, whether all the .mp3 suffixes must be set to visible in their Get Infos. (I'm working in OS 9 at the moment and can't check that.)

Thanks!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.