Someone else's name shows up on other people's phones when i call them

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm trying to help out a friend who has two issues. One of which is tied in with logging in to youtube, the other is his name not showing up on other people's phones when he calls them. The thing linking these two issues together is that a former co-worker's name is the one showing up, both when he calls other people and when he tries to log into youtube.

Our work emails are through Gmail, which i feel might be part of the issue, but i wasn't really sure where to start when it comes to figuring this all out, so i thought fixing the name on the phone call would be a good place.

Does anyone have an ideas on what could be happening and/or how to fix these?

Thanks,

Steve

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
The former co-worker may not have disassociated his ownership of the iPhone from his/her Apple ID.

If that is the case, only that person can help by doing so now. If that individual has left the area and cannot be traced, then your colleague is in trouble.

If luck is on his side and the former owner is contactable, then that person can sign in to his/her Apple ID and remove ownership of the iPhone. They can do that from anywhere in the world.

That's my take on the problem. There may be other ideas from the Forum.

Ian

OP
T
Reaction score
Would that require them to have passed the phone from one to another? I believe they were using their own phones when they both worked for the company.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Is the Caller ID turned on for the phone? It is in Settings/Phone/Show My Caller ID. If he is not showing a caller ID then the receiver of the call has no way to know. Then, the name shown for the phone number is whatever is in the receiver's contact list. And if the phone is being used for YouTube, then YT thinks that number is associated with the other person's name for some reason. It sounds like somehow the two phones were swapped at some point.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Excellent point, Jake.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.