Some of us have had no problems with Yosemite

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" i7 3.5GHz 24GB 3T Fusion HD - 10.10.2b MBP 13" 8GB, 240GB SSD - 10.10.2b iPad Air iOS 8.1.2
Before I get hate mail, I do understand the anger and frustration of failed installations. I had that happen with Mavericks and it took forever to get a stable version working for me. But Yosemite has been a whole different experience. I was one of a million beta testers and faithfully installed each of the 6 betas and the final gold master. At no time did Yosemite fail to install. Oh yea, it was slow because I chose to update on a release day. But it always worked. There were bugs in betas that got fixed, some that didn't but there is nothing wrong which prevents me from having a good computer experience. I still have a wish list too. But, I have had no crashes, no failed installations and no broken programs since installing the gold master. Other than Snow Leopard 10.6.8, this has been the best OS upgrade experience I have ever had.

It would be much worse on the dark side. I bought Parallels and Windows 8.1 and the Windows installation failed. When I finally got it installed, there were 68 "patches" waiting to download and install. In the last month, there have been over 150 "patches" for what the pundits call a good OS release. I know that problems are the focus of forums like this but I suspect that there are a million installations which had no problems. Hang in they though. We are here to help if we can.

M

MacInWin

I'm another relatively satisfied customer. Yosemite "broke" a printer driver for a specialized printer for labels that we use in my wife's business, but the driver for Mac had never been updated from version 1.0 8 years ago so I'm not stunned by that. TM is working kind of strangely, but it IS backing up, which is what it is supposed to do. Installation was easy, went well. What you tend to hear at websites like this are the cases where it went wrong, not where it went well.

C

chas_m

Count me as another one. I was a beta tester. The beta had some issues, but nothing that interfered with my workflow, so I would use it as often as possible (keeping the Mavericks partition on standby) as a way of stress-testing it.

During the early beta, some apps broke: most of my preferred FTP programs, and (notably) iMovie (WTH Apple??). This all got fixed in later betas and some updates from developers when contacted. There were some little (very minor) graphical glitches here and there. Nothing big.

Basically it's been smooth sailing since beta 4, and I've had no problems at all since the final came out (though it took a while to install it!). I haven't even gotten around to doing a clean install (but I will, even though everything is fine as-is, since it gives me an opportunity to zero out the boot drive and restore).

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Same here. The very first beta brok BT connectivity with a headset that I use regularly. Subsequent betas did not fix this but the final release did. As usual there were a few software updates needed here and there.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Before I get hate mail, I do understand the anger and frustration of failed installations. I had that happen with Mavericks and it took forever to get a stable version working for me. But Yosemite has been a whole different experience. I was one of a million beta testers and faithfully installed each of the 6 betas and the final gold master. At no time did Yosemite fail to install. Oh yea, it was slow because I chose to update on a release day. But it always worked. There were bugs in betas that got fixed, some that didn't but there is nothing wrong which prevents me from having a good computer experience. I still have a wish list too. But, I have had no crashes, no failed installations and no broken programs since installing the gold master. Other than Snow Leopard 10.6.8, this has been the best OS upgrade experience I have ever had.

It would be much worse on the dark side. I bought Parallels and Windows 8.1 and the Windows installation failed. When I finally got it installed, there were 68 "patches" waiting to download and install. In the last month, there have been over 150 "patches" for what the pundits call a good OS release. I know that problems are the focus of forums like this but I suspect that there are a million installations which had no problems. Hang in they though. We are here to help if we can.
I get the feeling that part of this is a mixture of sampling and confirmation bias (not a criticism - we all do it). There are a lot of people out there who have installed Windows without issue (including yours truly in a VM) and had terrible experiences with Yosemite (see the plethora of discussion topics here). I'm not discrediting your own experience but it works on both sides. ;)

There's also nothing wrong with patches. Say what you might about the litany of patches that get released by MS but at least they do release them in a timely fashion, unlike the glacier-esque speed that Apple releases patches (see here and here for example). That's not to discredit, again, your experience however.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
Another happy camper here. Other than a problem with iTunes not updating which was fixed after researching through Apple's forums, it has been a nice experience. Normally I like to do clean installs (I once had a nasty experience with upgrading Win95 to Win98) but since this is my first Apple update I wanted to see how it went and am pleased with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M3 iMac, 24 GB RAM, 10 core GPU
I love the new look, the flatness, translucency, the washed out gray logon screen, etc. Im not understanding the hate. I read, not sure if it was here, angst over the iTunes icon being "too bright" and the Trashcan "looks faded". Comical.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I had issues initially with mail but after adjusting my router firewall and what I can only attribute to self-healing with gmail, everything is working well. I have not had any slowdowns or glitches since. A few apps need updating like onyx but that will eventually happen.

As for the flatter look, I admit to liking the dock look better in Mavericks but I admit I can see what is open better with the black dots instead of the white luminous dots.

I am planning on updating my MB Pro soon. I will do a CCC backup and time machine backup then a nuke and pave. I already made a bootable copy of Yosemite on a USB.

One question - this will be my first clean install with a time machine restore. I am assuming when I do the time machine restore I will have all my software back too? I have Premiere Pro CS6 on this and Office 2011. If not I can re-install them as they are legit copies but I would like to avoid the updates if I can.

Lisa

M

MacInWin

For CS6 and any MicroSoft Office products it would be better to deactivate them before the nuke and pave. That way when you restore them you can reactivate them an should be ok. I have seen reports that TM restores of MS Office and CS6 have strange results, so you may also consider just reinstalling them and not depending on the TM restore. Again deactivate first.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For CS6 and any MicroSoft Office products it would be better to deactivate them before the nuke and pave. That way when you restore them you can reactivate them an should be ok. I have seen reports that TM restores of MS Office and CS6 have strange results, so you may also consider just reinstalling them and not depending on the TM restore. Again deactivate first.

Okay, excellent idea, I can do that - thanks, I always forget the deactivate part - and I know better.....sigh.

Lisa

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

I can't speak for CS6 Jake but I have never had a problem with restoring MS Office using Time Machine and I have done it numerous times both for the 2008 version and 2011 version. As long as the hardware remains the same the activation wizard should not kick in for Office 2011. (Office 2008 did not have activation.)

C

chas_m

I think the purpose of this thread is not to discredit anyone who has had legitimate issues, but to counterpoint the sometimes fairly mindless and groundless "hate posts" we've all seen with some counterbalancing data points. A little reality check that is probably reflective of the vast majority of users (given that its adoption is outpacing that of Mavericks) rather than the vocal but -- it seems to me -- fairly small group that are having genuine issues (there is a larger group that just hates change of any sort, and gets bent out of shape about stuff like the colour of the iTunes logo).

This is not to say that Yosemite needs no refinement. Of course it does. As did "Aqua" (and anybody want to correctly recall how long THAT took?). Do something bold, then polish it. That is (and has pretty much always been) Apple's M.O.

What I find fairly hilarious is how the "gold standard" that everybody wishes Apple had just stopped at keeps "moving up" every couple of years. It used to be Tiger, then Snow Leopard, now I think it's Mountain Lion -- "that one was perfect!" Naturally I recall when these various OS revisions came out, and oh the wailing and gnashing of teeth at the time! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can't speak for CS6 Jake but I have never had a problem with restoring MS Office using Time Machine and I have done it numerous times both for the 2008 version and 2011 version. As long as the hardware remains the same the activation wizard should not kick in for Office 2011. (Office 2008 did not have activation.)

My MB AIr has Office 2011 and the Adobe Design & Web Premium CS6 package. I kinda forgot about them. I was caught up in the email issues - which are all good now.

I upgraded my MB Air with no problems and it has been working flawlessly. I have only found three programs that don't work - Onyx, Maintenance (and I didn't really use it) and an old copy of Final Cut Pro 10.0.6 (which I have never used.)

I still plan to nuke and pave my MB Pro. It is a 2011 and It originally had Mountain Lion on it. I can't remember if I did a clean install for Mavericks. I was in my Apple infancy then so I probably did an upgrade. Plus I installed a lot of "paranoid" products to "protect" it from the evils of the internet so I suspect a good trash cleaning would be a good idea.

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.