Some Inet problems + wierd Finder...

RCh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 2GHz C2D 3Gb RAM 160 HDD; Macbook 2.2GHz; 4Gb RAM 160 HDD
Hello all,

Made the switch a week ago, so far so good :)
Overall, I'm quite happy with my new machine (17" iMac, 1Gb RAM) both in terms of hardware and the OS. Of course, new OS require certain amount of brain-rewire, however, I realize that being a Windows "power-user" for last 15 years has its impact, so I'm not complaining.

One feature(?) of the Finder drives me nuts, though. On Windows I'm used to launch a program or open a document by either double-clicking or hitting the 'Enter' key, which I find quite handy. However, when I browse files in Finder it seems that the only way to start a program or launch doc is to click the mouse. The Enter keys (both on the main and numeric keyboard) just let me rename the file which in 99% of cases is not what I am trying to do. Can I somehow remap either of the Enter keys to behave like double click?

Another (much more important to me ) issue relates to the Internet connection. I'm still forced to use dial-up connection due to regional restrictions. I use Apple's USB modem to connect to my ISP.
I can't find a way to set up the call-back feature. I can't find a trace of such setting in the network settings applet. I tried to run the network setup assistant, which kindly asked whether I'm planning to use call-back or not. I ticked the box but I was never asked for a callback number during the setup and when the setup was done and I tried to connect to my ISP the OS just starts to dial the number and tries to establish direct connection.
Can someone advise me what am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
There are some 3rd Party Apps. to "re-map" keys... a better solution may be to use APPLE+O (That's the letter "o" not Zero) to Open the Apps. without the use of the mouse.

Someone else will have to come along to help you with the dial-up settings... (my condolences to you :D)

It's funny.... reading your title, I thought you were having a problem with iNet (these forums) ;D;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
RIDE, I thought the same = iNet!

OP
R

RCh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 2GHz C2D 3Gb RAM 160 HDD; Macbook 2.2GHz; 4Gb RAM 160 HDD
Thanks, RIDE! I think apple+O will do. I always try to squeeze the most out of the existing features before I go for any 3rd-party solutions :)

Sorry for confusion, sometimes I'm just too lazy to type the whole word :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4
Hello all,

Another (much more important to me ) issue relates to the Internet connection. I'm still forced to use dial-up connection due to regional restrictions. I use Apple's USB modem to connect to my ISP.
I can't find a way to set up the call-back feature. I can't find a trace of such setting in the network settings applet. I tried to run the network setup assistant, which kindly asked whether I'm planning to use call-back or not. I ticked the box but I was never asked for a callback number during the setup and when the setup was done and I tried to connect to my ISP the OS just starts to dial the number and tries to establish direct connection.
Can someone advise me what am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Well, this wont help, but I searched apples kbase and I really couldn't find to much about the callback feature. There was a lot of articles for os9 and earlier. I haven't used a dial-up connection since 2003, but I'm no dummy. There seems to be a lack of info on apples side. Hopefully someone around here can help you.
You could try calling tech support. Honestly though, it might not do any good. There isn't much training for dial-up. But you never know. I just might be worth a shot and you have the service for 90 days. make um sweat!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
command-DownArrow also launhes items. If you're slamming through a list with the down arrow it's sometimes 385ms faster to use command-DA instead of Command-o.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB
I second Giulio!

Command-Down Arrow (or apple+down arrow) let's you start applications, open folders, etc. Once inside the folder, Command-Up Arrow takes you back to a previous level.

It's very nice indeed

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.