Some advice please :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD
I would recommend upgrading to 2GB RAM whether by Apple or by a third party provider. Here is the youtube link showing how to replace the RAM in MacBook.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8c6ckjy-gdY

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks again, Kash! Awesome, just what I wanted to hear.

^ I've decided to just buy a Macbook with 2gigs of RAM. Whereas I've lost my fear of upgrading it myself, someone pointed out that I'd have to replace all my RAM with 2X 1gig slots if I wanted to upgrade, as I'd have 512mb X2 in there and there's only 2 slots. I may as well just go for the 2gig.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, iPad, MacBook Pro.
I have only been into a MacBook for two months now and think there are great. I do use mine on my lap, it does get warm but if I am going to use it for a long time i but it on the table, I also like a mouse when on the table and do use a Microsoft Wireless Mouse left over from my last lappy. it all works great, even the right click. Its funny really if its on my lap then i find the Trackpad better, but on the table I like the mouse.
Hope you get on with it ok, good luck.

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've just spent quite a bit of time reading all the boards and threads relating to my own questions, but I feel that I've now taken onboard such a wealth of information that I feel a little lost. If anyone fancies taking the time to reply to this, I'd really appreciate it!

I'm 23 and I've been using a PC forever. I've decided to go Mac and the lovely, lovely white Macbook will be my choice. I've researched everything I can find because I want to buy a machine that I can use for as long as possible, I don't want to be left wishing I'd bought different (read: better) specs after just a month.

However, I'm torn between opting the extra cash for the 2gig RAM. As I said, I want this baby to last and it'll be a bit of self-loving too, to treat myself to a top of the range machine, however I don't want to spend a lot of money for the sake of it and find it doesn't make much difference? But I'm a bit of a lazy multitasker, with a lot of browser windows open, iTunes, documents, a game of Minesweeper etc. so would the 2gig RAM be better?

So, what will I be using the Macbook for? iTunes, archiving digital photographs (I'm a bigtime digicam fan but not excessively so. I'll just be using simple photoshop to resize, contrast, sharpen), internet mostly, some work with documents. I did sort of want to replace my Sims 2 games with MAC versions, I'm not sure yet though. I'm not a gamer at all but it's a game I like to waste a few hours here and there with. Don't know how well it would run on the Macbook as I've read about the integrated cards not displaying games well and I don't fancy paying for the MBP just so I can play Sims 2 :) I'd rather just sell my games and not play it again, it's not that precious to me!

I can't really wait until October for Leopard as my current computer is on it's last legs. I don't think it would cost much to upgrade later if I wanted to anyway, am I right? I don't think we're talking Vista prices here, lol. Still. I'd like a good spec Macbook that will last me a good few years and maybe even longer, with specs that won't deprecate too quickly. Which is why I'd quite like to get the 2.0ghz and 2 gigs of RAM.

I'm not really too keen on opening up my machine and buying RAM from other sites. I've read that it's cheaper to go low and upgrade later, but it's not for me. So the RAM and processor I choose, I'll be stuck with it foreveeeer.

I don't want to mess up my purchase and regret something later but I don't have oodles of cash either, so I don't want to buy equipment that is surplus to what would already be more than enough for my requirements. I'm going with the 80 gig hard drive because despite being an iTunes fan, I don't really have much more than about 15 gig on my iPod. I tend to delete music I'm not listening to at the time so my iPod isn't packed with 1,000's of songs I don't listen to anymore. I'm not really a hard-drive hungry sort of user. But does the 2ghz of RAM only really pay off with say, the 160gb hard drive? Do I need to upgrade in proportion with each feature or can I just do one or the other?

Is the 2gig RAM worth it? Any noticable improvement over the 1gig RAM that would shine through especially with any of the software I'll mainly be using? (what I mean is, if the 2gig RAM only really improves performance of say, Office software or video editting or graphic design, then I probably won't really need it as I won't be using any of those things).

Sorry this is long! Thanks in advance to anyone who replies!

when i got my mac, ppl asked 'why do you want one of those, you cant buy progs for it, or integrate with a PC'
hahahahhaa how WRONG they are and all jealous.
of my beautiful white ibook.

i brought mine purely as i find them so much more fun than PC or PC laptops.
and if you cant justify anything more than wanting one to use, itunes, p-shop or playing games, then my friend you have nothing to fret about.

go for it- youl have so much fun and there are so many options and settings tomake file browsing etc fun.
if sometimes on a PC it can be monotomous- but apple have brought the fun into files storing etc, and organizing etc.

and tyhere are so many cool things you can do to show it off...my party trick is making the windows cascade and move out either quick or slow.

hehe im sad?

:p

basically, id buy a mac even if all i used it for was to look at!
and ive had so many friends be drawn to it on my shelf!!!
and id like to erase this nonsense abt the 'switch'
its SO much easier and fun and enjoyabel experience using a mac!
PC
BORING
*tut tut*

its sheer ignorance...and the myths abt sharing files.
OH dear!! move on into the 2000's!!!!
macs are so clever nowadays, and make all this easy EASY PEASY!

i know they are expensive but ok, if you just never hardly use it- you own a mac! thats a good enoughj reason!
how cool

play games on it, do whatever.
i have a pc to!!!
but i use it rarely.

*and* upgrading ram, buy it from online stores. doesnt have to be apple.
i upgraded mine - well my boyfriend did it for me :)
that was so much cheaper and itsso faster now.
id say spend the money on the mac, but dont get suckied into spending money on apple branded stuff like cleaners, bags, mice etc.
you can buy these a lot cheaper and just as good elsewhere.
good luck and have fun with your new toy

c

OP
D
Reaction score
Wow, well since the Macbook refresh I'm glad I waited, and I just put my order into the online store right now! I'm so excited! See the info to the left for my chosen spec. :)

I also bought one of these at the same time as it's my favourite colour and looked adorable:

TJ652_lm.jpg

Reaction score
hi-
sounds cool dyinginavan

i like the cover to,.
i have one for my mac laptop to. its pink tho :p
doesnt QUITE fit the book tho!
mines 14.1 tft
and the cover is like 14!!
but its a tight squeeze and stiill protects it all the same.
c

OP
D
Reaction score
Hehe well this one, I think it said the screen of the Macbook is 13 inches and the case was 13.3 inches so sounds a bit roomy but I'm too worried, I'll never be able to make it bulletproof etc. but I love the colour so it sells it for me haha, I'm shallow.

Reaction score
cool. no probs buying that for the colour.!

my fav colour is blue SO.....(i brought a PINK case btw, lol) but its baby pink so - not so-in-your-face!

i brought a blue keyboard protector to
. ordered it from USA - it was cheaper than here and i couldnt find a blue one anywhere, only clear ones. *boring* :p
anyway they do a green one i think.
you can get pink, green?
blue,
clear

and i hope im right to assume you can buy them over here now?!?
check online for keyboard protectors (if you wanted one to match the case and make the laptop look even more fun and protect it at the same time)
theyre washable to.

well worth getting one. stops all the crumbs and dust and annoying particles from going into the keyboard which isnt the easiest of things to remove to dust!
and theyre not like the saggy ones you can buy for big keyboards.
its like a little bit of latex/rubber that covers JUST the main keyboard.

i love cleaning the ibook to.
oh DEAR am i odd! lol well i just take care of it.
and its nice to also buy little things for it like mice and stuff. so get excited!
:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.