So it's been a week with my Mini...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro, 16GB, 1TB, OS 12.6.9
Just figured i'd throw my user experience in for anyone interested...

I registered here a few months back when I was looking into buying a laptop. I decided on a 15" MBP, but after planning a vacation to the Bahamas with my girlfriend and buying a new car, that got thrown to the side for a while until I have the cash. I decided to get myself cheap mac to hold me off until then. I wound up snagging a G4 mini on ebay 1.42GHz/80GB/512MB/Airport/Bluetooth/Superdrive/ect. With a new apple keyboard and mouse, I got in under $400, which is pretty reasonable, IMO. Even seeing that this is an outdated machine by current standards (it's almost 2 years old). Nice little starter mac, exactly what I was looking for.

Anyways. After about a week's worth of acclimation, a few random opinions are below. Keep in mind that my machine is older, so some of the things I mention do not apply to the Intel Minis, for instance. Regardless, I figured i'd throw my 2 sense in for potential switchers looking to buy an older used machine and ease into the mac world at minimal cost.

Rants:
2 USB ports? I know the newer models have 4, but i'm not sure how Apple ever expected people to get away with essentially a single USB port on a computer (the keyboard/mouse take up at least one, if not 2, depending on your keyboard). I'm not sure what i'd do if my monitor didn't have a build in 4-port USB hub.

No audio in? Again, this has been taken care of in the new ones. But I like to do some music recording here and there and this is a problem.

Why is it that the default operation for OSX such that the "Home" and "end" keys on my keyboard are nonfunctional in text fields? I use these keys a LOT when i'm on my PC. Though i'm currently involved in a thread in hopes to rectify that (thanks 'mynameis', for the help so far).

And i've had a few compatibility issues with the machine that i'm still trying to work out. My Belkin router works flawlessly with my PC, yet constantly drops connection when the Mini is in use. Hopefully this will be rectified soon as well. Also, being a guitar player I have a PODxt (digital pre-amp device with a USB interface). OSX recognizes it and views it as functioning propery, but i get no sound whatsoever from the PODxt into my computer (again, working on it).

Generally, most everything I needed to do switching over did 'just work'. My external HD, internet connection/router, iPod, digital camera, ect. It took a good evening of 'setting up'. But was fun, and didn't feel like work.

Raves:

Despite a few small hangups, i'm really liking this little machine. When I was using my PC I felt like I was always walking on eggshells with it. I wouldn't run too many applications at once for fear of it locking up. When I installed new programs, i'd have to shut down everything I was doing, and go to the taskbar and shut down the programs that are always running without me asking them to. With the mac I don't need to worry about that stuff. I just use it, and it works right. I can install a program and not worry about having to go in and configure it so it's not running the taskbar for no reason, trying to override default applications, taking up resources. I can do what I need to do without stopping to wonder if i'm going to **** it off. With some extra RAM (going in soon), this should be even better.

OSX is just plain nicer to work with as well, after you get past the acclimation period, which took a few days. I feel like i'm just scratching the surface of what the OS is capable of. Everyday tasks are just plain easier (switching from applications, moving files around, finding things, ect.). Once you learn how to use the dock, expose, and spotlight efficiently you wonder how you ever did things differently. I love how it has features built into it that required 3rd party software on my PC. The OS will burn data CD's, for instance. It also has built-in file compressing.

iLife is amazing. A computer that comes with software for playing/organizing music, converting audio files, playing/organizing videos, uploading/organizing/editing photos, making slidehows...video editing, DVD making/burning/viewing, webpage making/editing, music and sound recording/mixing??? It's fantastic! On my PC i'd either have to deal with unstable freeware/shareware with annoying registration/"buy now!" popups and constant crashes, or i'd have to pay for 3rd party software to do most of these things. This software bundle is invaluable.

The computer is so small. My Dell, which has similar performance, is roughly *14* times the size of the mini. Granted I have 2 hard drives in it and 2 CD drives. But the mini has a decent amount of space, and for what it does...the thing has a footprint barely larger than a CD on my desk. I don't have a big tower sucking up dust from the floor next to my desk anymore.

All in all, (and I don't want this to be a PC's stink post) i'm definitely impressed. I feel like windows machines can be very capable for many things. But for an everyday home computer, you can't beat a mac. They do everything you'd want to do right out of the box. No worrying about downloading or buying software to perform simple tasks which are the entire reason you own a computer in the first place. It does what I want it to do, and with very little hassle.

Hopefully i'll be able to rectify the few little annoyances i've had with it thus far. Thanks to everyone who's helped out in recent threads so far.

-Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
1) doesn't the keyboard have 2 USB ports in it? I do agree though.

2) Odd, my Home and End keys work on my Apple Cordless BT Keyboard. Anyone else have this issue?

3) Glad you like it!

OP
fiveightandten
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro, 16GB, 1TB, OS 12.6.9
1) doesn't the keyboard have 2 USB ports in it? I do agree though.

2) Odd, my Home and End keys work on my Apple Cordless BT Keyboard. Anyone else have this issue?

3) Glad you like it!
1) The keyboard doesn't have USB 2.0 ports on it, which makes them useless for most things. Though i'm getting along ok. My Dell has 8 USB ports on it, so I was kind of spoiled. I think apples, in general, are a little port stingy.

2) I thought it was odd too...check out this thread/link:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58895

3) Thanks, with a 1GB RAM in it, it'll be an adequate little desktop to hold me over until I pick up a MBP. Every day I learn something new I can do with this thing. I have a Lacie 160GB external that I normally use for data backup. I don't leave it on all the time for fear of the drive aging quicker than it needs to and it failing on me. I just realized that the Mini automatically turns the drive off after it's been idle for a while. My PC would do this for the internal drives, but not the USB one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Oh, yeah, mine do do that now that I read it. I assumed yours were not doing anything at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Apple was pushing for people to buy the wireless keyboard and mouse with the Mini, so if you did get a Bluetooth keyboard/mouse, you still would have 2 USB ports. Though I'll agree that this is still a very small number even if you get the wireless combo.

I know that when we have to upgrade our desktops, they will definitely either be Mac Minis or iMacs. No way I'll be getting another PC after having used my Macbook :black:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
For an Audio input try the Griffin iMic. I got one for my G4 mini and it works great and does not cost much at all.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/imic/

Hope that helps.

I agree they could have used more USB ports and such, but when the g4 mini first came out, the small size got in the way with fitting too many ports on it. They did great with the new Core Duo minis but there would be no way to get 8 ports on that small system. I just bought a cheap USB 2 hub and it took care of my USB port issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
To be fair, because the Mini is so small, 4 USBs would be pushing it. Remember you have Firewire as well.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The Intel Minis have 4 USB ports. I was impressed they managed to fit 4 there with Firewire also. They did Axe the modem so maybe that gave them the room.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.
To be fair, because the Mini is so small, 4 USBs would be pushing it. Remember you have Firewire as well.

They redesigned the back for the Intel versions, so there are now 4 USBs.

I've had a Mac Mini for about a week as well, so I will post my thoughts. I've been a KDE/Linux user for the past few years.

One firewire is a bit poor. I have a firewire audio interface and I'd rather not share the firewire bus with that and an external hard disk. Yes, I should have got a bigger more powerful machine, I have a Macbook coming today which will also have a slow hard disk :)

Window button location, given the only location you can resize a window in Mac OSX is on the bottom right, why then put the window buttons top left. This means a lot of mouse movement. Almost all other desktops have settled on putting them top right. It's a good usability decision.

Launching multiple instances of browser isn't easy. Clicking the dock button just reveals an existing window. Why can't the Mac OS be like Windows or Linux? I'm not the only one who dislikes this, I found a script by someone else to work around this.

Mouse acceleration curve is horrid. I found a tool which let me configure it such that it is now usable, but the default acceleration is terrible. Compared to Windows and Linux it's too easy to miss buttons (like the window gadgets).

Mac Mini PSU, why did they make the Mac Mini so small and then have a big white lump of a PSU? they could have at least made it round or done something interesting with it :)

Applications staying open, I've noticed some applications remain open when you close the window, requiring you to quit them using the menu?! this reminds me of Windows Mobile where the close button doesn't actually close applications. It's annoying and means you have applications hogging memory.

But apart from that i'm enjoying the adventure of learning a new OS. I can't wait to try out my Macbook when it arrives today.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.0 GHz/1 GB/80
When you close a window you do just that. If you wan't to close the application you have the quit function in menu or with shortcut Apple+Q.
I think this is more natural. In Windows if you close a file (the only one open) to open another you discover you just quit the application and have to lauch it again. Do you feel like this being natural?
In mac you close a file (window) and if you want to open another the app is still open. Just quits when you tell it to.

Paman

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am waiting for Devilboy to reply to this. Till he arrives, If you treat OSX like Windows, you will never learn the OS. Treat it like a totally new OS. It makes things a LOT easier, trust me!

I would not want the Mac Mini any other way. I love it's small size. That is why it's called a Mini. I just tuck the power supply out of the way. There is no room for 2 Firewire ports in that small case. Are you using Safari as your browser? If so use Tabs. To me anyway much nicer than many instances of the same browser running. That is what I do/did on the PC with Firefox also.

Hope you like your Macbook!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When you close a window you do just that. If you wan't to close the application you have the quit function in menu or with shortcut Apple+Q.
I think this is more natural. In Windows if you close a file (the only one open) to open another you discover you just quit the application and have to lauch it again. Do you feel like this being natural?
In mac you close a file (window) and if you want to open another the app is still open. Just quits when you tell it to.

Paman

Yes and no, I don't mind it staying open. It is just that closing an application using the mouse is a lot easier than browsing a menu or using a keyboard shortcut. Keyboard shortcuts are for power users anyway.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes and no, I don't mind it staying open. It is just that closing an application using the mouse is a lot easier than browsing a menu or using a keyboard shortcut. Keyboard shortcuts are for power users anyway.

Right (Control) click on the open Application in the Dock and click quit. Pretty easy for me at least.

:spook:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am waiting for Devilboy to reply to this. Till he arrives, If you treat OSX like Windows, you will never learn the OS. Treat it like a totally new OS. It makes things a LOT easier, trust me!

I would not want the Mac Mini any other way. I love it's small size. That is why it's called a Mini. I just tuck the power supply out of the way. There is no room for 2 Firewire ports in that small case. Are you using Safari as your browser? If so use Tabs. To me anyway much nicer than many instances of the same browser running. That is what I do/did on the PC with Firefox also.

Hope you like your Macbook!!

Read my original post :) I stated I was a KDE user not a Windows user.

I'm slowly adapting to the OS, I'm not stuck in my ways. However many things Microsoft and others have developed are more usable. Software usability and ergonomics are interests of mine and there's a lot that can be debated in the OS.

I find having a taskbar which shows which windows are open to be a great aid to usability. Switching windows by tabbing isn't as nice, requires the keyboard.

Maybe I'm just not familiar with the OS properly yet, but I used to use Mac OS classic years ago and found switching applications was easier in that version. They all used to appear in the menu (top right?).

I don't want Mac OS to be exactly like Windows, but Apple do make things a little too simplistic, often at the cost of usability.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Read my original post :) I stated I was a KDE user not a Windows user.

I'm slowly adapting to the OS, I'm not stuck in my ways. However many things Microsoft and others have developed are more usable. Software usability and ergonomics are interests of mine and there's a lot that can be debated in the OS.

I find having a taskbar which shows which windows are open to be a great aid to usability. Switching windows by tabbing isn't as nice, requires the keyboard.

Maybe I'm just not familiar with the OS properly yet, but I used to use Mac OS classic years ago and found switching applications was easier in that version. They all used to appear in the menu (top right?).

I don't want Mac OS to be exactly like Windows, but Apple do make things a little too simplistic, often at the cost of usability.

Sorry about calling you a Windows user instead of Linux! That is almost blasphemy!! :spook:

One thing you might try, Hit F9, That is Expose. Every open application shows and you click the one you want. Also all open apps have a Greater Than under them in the Dock. I use the F9 Expose way myself. Very fast for me at least.

I know KDE well. After a week or so with OSX it's hard for me to go back to anything else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, I appreciate the help. I don't know why, but I expected a manual for OSX when I bought a Mac. They could have a quick start guide for Windows users :)

I have just unpacked my reconditioned Macbook, looks nice. Shame I'm at work and can't play with it until later.

Reaction score

I have two shareware apps that replace the dock with the old Apple menu and bring back the top-right app switcher.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.