• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

So, is it gonna be iPadOS 1 or iPadOS 13?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
Apple seems to be a bit inconsistent with regard to software version numbering schemes; the next version of tvOS is 13, as it’s based on iOS 13, while the next version of watchOS is 6, despite being based on the same version of iOS...

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
watchOS is not based on iOS and the Apple Watch hasn't been around as long as the iPhone. The iPadOS will be version 1 since it's targeting the iPad ONLY.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
watchOS is not based on iOS and the Apple Watch hasn't been around as long as the iPhone. The iPadOS will be version 1 since it's targeting the iPad ONLY.

Thanks for that. I was also wondering what version number they would use. I am looking forward to it for my iPad Pro.

OP
Ctrl-Opt-Del
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)

Well, watchOS 1 was based on a cut-down version of iOS 8.2; it’s related in the same sense as the iPhone was originally marketed as running “OS X”, as iPhoneOS started as a cut-down, recompiled version of OS X.

tvOS uses the same version numbers as iOS, despite being far more dissimilar from “core” iOS than iPadOS is going to be; and needless to say, there haven’t been 12 versions of tvOS.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Technically, the versions are completely irrelevant by themselves and a bigger number just indicates it's newer than the previous one. So their value is just in their relativity to other numbers.

Case in point, iPhone 7 -> 8 -> X (ten).

I know 8 is newer than 7 and X is newer than both, but I could care less what happened to 9. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I believe, since iPadOS is based on iOS, it will be numbered accordingly.

What do we call Mojave, macOS 14 right?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
but I could care less what happened to 9

7 ate 9. Hence ten (X);D

Ian

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
7 ate 9. Hence ten (X);D

Ian

Hahahaha! :D Grin Funny Ian! :D

I have an iphone 7 and and love it. It does get quite hungry though so t did eat the 9!

On a more serious note, I am also a member of MicroJunks Insider program and been testing versions of Windows 10 for years now. I once asked someone from MS why they skipped over 9 and went from Windoes 8 to WindDOEZ 10 and was told it's because of Windows 98 and 98SE. They thought that would cause confusion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
On a more serious note, I am also a member of MicroJunks Insider program and been testing versions of Windows 10 for years now. I once asked someone from MS why they skipped over 9 and went from Windoes 8 to WindDOEZ 10 and was told it's because of Windows 98 and 98SE. They thought that would cause confusion.

Gee, and all this time I thought it was because their Windows OS just had problems counting correctly. :Confused:

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.