• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

So...How do i install os x on a p4?

Reaction score
menace3054 said:
what do you mean? he really did do the presentation on a p4 3.6 ghz, the same one hes shipping to developers

my bad, was thinking of something else... thought u meant a previous wwdc

OP
K

Kokopelli

menace3054 said:
what do you mean? he really did do the presentation on a p4 3.6 ghz, the same one hes shipping to developers

Yes, but the fact that OS X runs on a specific PIV platform does not mean that it will run on any x86 computer. Chances are there is a very limited set of chipsets and GPUs supported at this stage. Even then it is a developers release. If you had problems with the relatively few bugs that were in the initial release of Tiger don't even in your wildest dreams consider an Mintel system for at least six months.

OP
X

xthisisRomancex

yes he went to the "about thi mac" and the chip wasnt a powerPC was an intel.. it seems he does something for laiughs at every keynote... and any way..

People dont ask how to install the copy of OS X on ur intel.. a few things limit that
1) THE DISK YOU RECIVED DOSNT HAVE THE VERSION FOR INTEL. (yes he did say they had it but he didnt say it was on the disk)
2) as Shewb said you would nont be able to run OS X on any intel box.. just the apple boxes
---

OP
S

sigp6

Schweb,

Just trying to bring up pictures and then scroll through them as a slideshow is a task.

How do you get thumbnails of all the jpegs on the HD when I do a search - most of them just show a generic icon and I have to open them up one at a time.

How do you open 2 browser windows easily? In Windows I just click the browser icon twice. I know I can do Apple key-N from an open browser window but had to figure that out...

And I really cannot stand the Windows 3.11 type menu bar at the top of the screen for
all open windows. Why can't I just close the individual window itself instead of going to the menu bar at the top.

I realize that part of this is due to being a Windows user for years, but to me it is more intuitive that I can do almost any function 2,3 or 4 different ways. I don't have to modify my behavior to do it the computer's way.

I haven't really played with it for a while but my wife is constantly running into issues trying to figure out very simple tasks.

Avid6eek,

I agree as to OS X's sluggishness (perceived anyways). When my wife got the Powerbook I was still using an old Dell P4 1.6Ghz and the Powerbook felt like a dog in comparison. Now I'm using a Pentium -M 1.6 and now the Powerbook seems reeeeally slow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
sigp6 said:
agree as to OS X's sluggishness (perceived anyways). When my wife got the Powerbook I was still using an old Dell P4 1.6Ghz and the Powerbook felt like a dog in comparison. Now I'm using a Pentium -M 1.6 and now the Powerbook seems reeeeally slow.
go into the energy saver preference and set it to highest

OP
S

sigp6

"go into the energy saver preference and set it to highest"

Thanks! I'll try that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
menace3054 said:
prepare for 2nd degree burns lol
c'mon its not that hot u just gota have pants or shorts that cover your legs

OP
K

Kokopelli

I am not schweb, but I am bored....

sigp6 said:
Schweb,

Just trying to bring up pictures and then scroll through them as a slideshow is a task.

How do you get thumbnails of all the jpegs on the HD when I do a search - most of them just show a generic icon and I have to open them up one at a time.
Spotlight thumbnails everything automatically. I did a search for jpg and got 9,828 pictures. It took less than 15 seconds to complete. In the "Images" bar for the results there is an arrow. Click on it and it opens into a full page slideshow.

sigp6 said:
How do you open 2 browser windows easily? In Windows I just click the browser icon twice. I know I can do Apple key-N from an open browser window but had to figure that out...
<cmd>-n works for almost all apps in OS X. I do not think it can get more intuitive than that. You have to learn it, but this can be accomplished by clicking on the file menu of (again) almost any app. The option for new window will be there along with the default shortcut.

sigp6 said:
And I really cannot stand the Windows 3.11 type menu bar at the top of the screen for
all open windows. Why can't I just close the individual window itself instead of going to the menu bar at the top.

??? you can close the individual window itself. Either by clicking on the close button in the window frame or typing <cmd>-w. Again something common to all Apple apps.

sigp6 said:
I realize that part of this is due to being a Windows user for years, but to me it is more intuitive that I can do almost any function 2,3 or 4 different ways. I don't have to modify my behavior to do it the computer's way.

So consistency is a disadvantage. I must confess I have never heard that one before. But really you generally have a similar number of options on how to do things in windows and OS X. They just are not the same options.

sigp6 said:
I haven't really played with it for a while but my wife is constantly running into issues trying to figure out very simple tasks.

Like what? So she is not familiar with the OS and has to learn a new skill. It happens.

sigp6 said:
Avid6eek,

I agree as to OS X's sluggishness (perceived anyways). When my wife got the Powerbook I was still using an old Dell P4 1.6Ghz and the Powerbook felt like a dog in comparison. Now I'm using a Pentium -M 1.6 and now the Powerbook seems reeeeally slow.

OK. I have no basis for argument here since it is perception. It is a common complaint that has some validity but not to the extreme you seem to imply. How much memory is in the system? I have both a Pentium-M 1.6 GHz Thinkpad and a 1.33GHz PB and while I would say the Thinkpad is faster in some things I would not classify the difference as significant for most tasks.

OP
M

menace3054

Kokopelli said:
IBM (Lenovo) Thinkpads. They may not be as ascetically pleasing but they are every bit as well built. Better in my opinion. You pay out the nose for the quality though.

i cannot stand that little red thing they consider a mouse on those things. if it wasnt for that, id def get a thinkpad

edt: nm, they used to only have that red thing, now i see they have trackpads.

Reaction score
Kokopelli said:
OK. I have no basis for argument here since it is perception. It is a common complaint that has some validity but not to the extreme you seem to imply. How much memory is in the system? I have both a Pentium-M 1.6 GHz Thinkpad and a 1.33GHz PB and while I would say the Thinkpad is faster in some things I would not classify the difference as significant for most tasks.
Tasks that require processing power are not what I found to be sluggish on my PowerMac. It was the simple things like opening Safari to surf the net that really could be so much more responsive. Your everyday Mac user doesn't even notice it because they are used to the feel of the OS.

OP

360freak

sigp6 said:
I'd actually like to know how to do the opposite. I love the Mac hardware but would take Windows XP over OS X any day. Hopefully in the not too distant future...
i would love to run Mac OS X on an x86 i hate windows with a passion windows sucks plain and simple

Reaction score
If Apple went software only, I would cry :'(

I love everything about the Mac and am a recent switcher who uses it for EVERYTHING from programming, to video editing...(only my Ibook though, i still have a PC desktop)

OP
K

Kokopelli

Avid6eek said:
Tasks that require processing power are not what I found to be sluggish on my PowerMac. It was the simple things like opening Safari to surf the net that really could be so much more responsive. Your everyday Mac user doesn't even notice it because they are used to the feel of the OS.

Except I am used to a trimmed down Linux using FVWM, which is faster than Windows on comparable equipment as long as 3d graphics are not involved. I also use Windows occasionally though not that often anymore. Macs are a relatively new thing for me and I am pretty evenly split on time between my thinkpad and my PB (though I use my PB more). So your last sentence does not really apply to me. Safari in Panther left a lot to be desired for performance, so I used Camino. Performance of Safari improved a great deal in 10.3.9.

Window resizing in OS X has a lag to it that is noticable, even annoying, but in the end it does not effect my productivity. Also windows do not quite snap as they do in other OSes. Maybe I am just old but that does not bother me either, again overall it effects my productivity not one bit.

Reaction score
Avid6eek said:

As a user of a 1.8ghz Pentium 4 with 1gb of ram, and a user of a 1.2ghz Ibook with 768mb of ram...I find my IBook much faster in absolutely everything I do, including when I multitask...on a typical computer intensive day i've got: 2-3 browsers open, QuarkXPress, Photoshop CS, ITunes, and I can burn a CD all at the same time with little or no lag...

on my PC, I can't burn a CD surf the web and listen to ITunes without ITunes skipping my music...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
smeshy123 said:
If Apple went software only, I would cry :'(

I love everything about the Mac and am a recent switcher who uses it for EVERYTHING from programming, to video editing...(only my Ibook though, i still have a PC desktop)
if apple went software only i would do everything i can to get rid of Jobs so fast he wouldnt know what hit him

Reaction score
benjamindaines said:
if apple went software only i would do everything i can to get rid of Jobs so fast he wouldnt know what hit him

I agree...Mac isn't mac without the hardware to go with its wonderful operating system. If they went software only mac would just be another operating system thats better then windows, like Linux...only Linux is free.

Reaction score
smeshy123 said:
As a user of a 1.8ghz Pentium 4 with 1gb of ram, and a user of a 1.2ghz Ibook with 768mb of ram...I find my IBook much faster in absolutely everything I do, including when I multitask...on a typical computer intensive day i've got: 2-3 browsers open, QuarkXPress, Photoshop CS, ITunes, and I can burn a CD all at the same time with little or no lag...

on my PC, I can't burn a CD surf the web and listen to ITunes without ITunes skipping my music...
I don't discount what you are saying in the slightest. Is the PC a notebook, or a desktop? Chances are it is a Willamette cored Pentium 4. It really is a crappy processor. Similair performance to a higher end PIII. There is a good chance that your 1.2Ghz G4 is actually a faster processor. I don't really know how they compared....don't remember benchmarks from that long ago ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.