Snow Leopard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Im trying to fix my macbook pro and some help would be very much appreciated. I had to get a new HDD for it I formated it to NFS+ on my windows PC then put it in my macbook pro. When I hold the option key down on startup my USB stick with snow leopard installed on it comes up and when I click the arrow to start the installation I get an error.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Is this a retail copy of Snow Leopard? Why didn't you use the DVD for it?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I had to get a new HDD for it I formated it to NFS+ on my windows PC then put it in my macbook pro.

You should also format the HD with Disk Utility on your MacBook Pro.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Insert the Snow Leopard DVD, reboot and hold down 'C', go to Utilities > Disk Utility > Erase and format the drive Mac OS Extended (Journaled), back to the Installer and run, then update via Combo Updater to OS X.6.8.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Follow Harry's instructions above. You can not format the hard drive to NTFS and expect to install Snow Leopard to it. Your Mac can not write to a drive formatted as NTFS which is why you received the kernel panic.

OP
D
Reaction score
Is this a retail copy of Snow Leopard? Why didn't you use the DVD for it?

Im sure it is I've had it on my external hard-drive with all my other OS for a while so I cant tell you exactly where I got it from lol
Ive also used it on a PC and it installed just fine.
Also my main computer doesn't have a disc drive so burning it to a DVD will be kinda impossible. Me using a flashdrive wouldn't be a problem would it?

OP
D
Reaction score
Insert the Snow Leopard DVD, reboot and hold down 'C', go to Utilities > Disk Utility > Erase and format the drive Mac OS Extended (Journaled), back to the Installer and run, then update via Combo Updater to OS X.6.8.

Does it have to be the CD and not the flashdrive?

OP
D
Reaction score
Follow Harry's instructions above. You can not format the hard drive to NTFS and expect to install Snow Leopard to it. Your Mac can not write to a drive formatted as NTFS which is why you received the kernel panic.

What format should the harddrive be in?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
OP
D
Reaction score
Harry mentioned it in post #5:

Mac OS Extended (Journaled):)

- Nick

Oh he very so did, sorry, my mind is just racing at the moment xD
But yeah I currently dont have a DVD to burn my SnowLeopard.dmg, thats why im using a 8GB flashdrive. When I hold down C all I get is a folder with a question mark and the circle with the slash through it (Cant remember for the life of me what its called.)
Ive read that this could be caused by the cable that runs to the harddrive from the motherboard. So I did more research and came across a video of someone taking the harddrive and cable out, plugging in an external harddrive and it booting up just fine.
Any ideas my friend?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Snow Leopard is only sold and available on an Apple DVD. What you have is an illegal copy and therefore our assistance has ended. Please read thru our forum rules specifically about respecting copyright.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.