Snow Leopard VS. Lion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I'm pretty sure it's only used when your Time Machine drive is not available. So, if you're looking on your iMac where the drive is likely hooked up routinely, you may never actually dip into it.

As far as Apple fixing it, I'm not sure that it's really a bug. The idea is to backup revisions to your documents even when your Time Machine drive is unavailable - so it's pretty much working exactly as designed. Now, with that said, I'd rather that they just give me a toggle to turn the functionality off.

Yep, this is correct. I disabled it, and believe it or not it had more effect on improving battery life than saving disk space.

You mean a GUI toggle, rather than having to resort to a command line? :D

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Yep, this is correct. I disabled it, and believe it or not it had more effect on improving battery life than saving disk space.

You mean a GUI toggle, rather than having to resort to a command line? :D

Well, yeah - but I guess that wouldn't be the Apple way, would it? :D

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I do turn off the drive when not using it also, but like I said TM is kept off which some have says stops that file from being created.

I do like the backing up of revisions just in case something happens, but not all people will I guess. It's saved me a few times now due to issues with the original drive in my iMac and carelessness a few times! :D

A Toggle WOULD be nice though for those who could care less about it. Since Lion has so many other toggles, it would not be hard to do.

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it's only used when your Time Machine drive is not available. So, if you're looking on your iMac where the drive is likely hooked up routinely, you may never actually dip into it.
exactly it only does a local back up when the external drive you use for time machine is not connected and time machine is still turned on.

As far as Apple fixing it, I'm not sure that it's really a bug. The idea is to backup revisions to your documents even when your Time Machine drive is unavailable - so it's pretty much working exactly as designed. Now, with that said, I'd rather that they just give me a toggle to turn the functionality off.
well apple said that once you plug you external time machine HDD the local back ups would be transferred from your main HDD to the external one, well thats the issue.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
well apple said that once you plug you external time machine HDD the local back ups would be transferred from your main HDD to the external one, well thats the issue.

Ah, OK. So, you're saying that even though your normal TM backups are running, the localbackups cache stays at a consistent size (or grows, even?).

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Poor Mike and his battery issue! :D

I can see that running for sure draining more from the battery.

And CWA, did a lot of reading just now and they say when it does make that file and transfer it to the external, it's not deleting the backup on the main drive. I should leave TM on and see what happens when I turn off my backup drive.

Reaction score
Ah, OK. So, you're saying that even though your normal TM backups are running, the localbackups cache stays at a consistent size (or grows, even?).

yep thats exactly what happens but its varies a lot for example last time I checked I had a 2.5 gigs local back up that accumulated during a day of work so when I got back home I plugged my external drive and the 2.5 gigs didn't transfer to it, but in other cases it does copy the local back up but doesn't remove it from my drive thats where I think the bug is and just to point out "dtravis7" how am I laying if I showed the thread I made pointing out the issue? I never called you a liar so why call me one?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Andres87 sent you a PM.

Reaction score
I think its better not to complain about Lion's quirks in a Mac forum :s ......but anyway.....yeah besides that I love my MBP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I think its better not to complain about Lion's quirks in a Mac forum.

Nonsense, many of us gripe about it regularly (generally without issue).

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do remember this, I have been running OSX since 10.2.0. There have been MANY bugs with each and every release. That is a for sure fact.

What bugs me about the Lion comments is some of them are not bugs but a different way of doing things and some are upset. I did not like Mission Control either till I messed with it a while. For what I do with Expose and Spaces I find it better. Many do not.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey...nothing "shameless" about plugging a great/helpful post!:)

I usually don't like to mess around with terminal (for fear of really messing something up just in case something is typed in incorrectly)...but this looks pretty simple...so maybe I'll give it a try.:)

Thanks,

- Nick

Nick, iMemoryCleaner cost me 99 cents! :D I had tried another before it and it did not work as well. The Command line trick got old when I was in a hurry.

:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Hey...nothing "shameless" about plugging a great/helpful post!:)

I usually don't like to mess around with terminal (for fear of really messing something up just in case something is typed in incorrectly)...but this looks pretty simple...so maybe I'll give it a try.:)

Thanks,

- Nick

I'm glad you like it. :)

By the way, the "Snow Leopard only" method should work with Lion too. I made that post before Lion was released, though.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Nick, iMemoryCleaner cost me 99 cents! :D

Yeah...I saw that it was just $.99 cents...I'm just being cheap...ahem..."frugal"!;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.