Snow Leopard and Win 10 networking issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro 2011 13inch
I'm trying to share a file in Win 10 so my Snow Leopard (SL) box can access it.

What is odd is, in the finder, SL can see the box, but when you try to interact with it, it won't connect. When you try to ping the windows box from the terminal, I'm getting unknown host.

My SL machine can see my other SL box as well as a NAS.

I temporarily disabled the firewall on windows to see if that would help - no dice.

I'm hoping this isn't an incompatibility between SL being too old and Widows 10. *I can see the Win box and almost make a successful connection from my Mojave machine (almost meaning I get a password prompt). So I don't think the Win 10 box is being blocked.

Thanks.

UPDATE: I should add I'm using SL as I understand it was one of the most reliable iterations of Mac OS X. Should I upgrade to Lion, then get the benefit of iCloud and maybe it'll connect? Or it won't.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro 2011 13inch
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I assume that the solution Is working well for you. Imagine finding the answer so close to home.

I can recall Apple having quite a few tutorials on filesharing, including with Windows Users and they seemed to have flogged it as a real advantage to using a Mac. Maybe they don't care as much these days.

But the macOS Finder Help Center certainly still seems to still have several useful topics when searching on "filesharing".

- Patrick
=======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I can recall Apple having quite a few tutorials on filesharing, including with Windows Users and they seemed to have flogged it as a real advantage to using a Mac.

Gosh Patrick, I wonder how many floggings Apple had to do? Avast you Windows users, or we will flog you again! :rofl

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gosh Patrick, I wonder how many floggings Apple had to do? Avast you Windows users, or we will flog you again! :rofl

LOL... :app
I think they just got any Windows users to just walk the plank until they went to the book and then discovered:
flogged...informal promote or talk about (something) repetitively or at excessive length:
2 Brit. informal sell or offer for sale:

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.