Smart Folder In Dock Doesn't Update

Reaction score
So I have a smart folder that gets all docs and folders opened in the last 4 days. In finder, it stays up to date mostly. But I also put it in my dock, where it does not seem to update regularly.

My brute force solution is to create a "refresh app" using applescript that refreshes the finder window and kills the dock.

Any insight on this? I am running cDock to give me a transparent dock. And this is on an early 2014 13" Air running 10.10.2.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Because whatever is in the Dock is simply an alias, or shortcut, and not the original application, folder etc.

OP
Reaction score
Because whatever is in the Dock is simply an alias, or shortcut, and not the original application, folder etc.

Even if it is a shortcut, or alias or symlink, it should go to the search folder and its contents, should it not? And refreshing the folder/dock seems to do the trick. Even if it were to a static folder, you would expect it to show something added to that folder after creation of the link, no?

Further, it does "self update," but not regularly.

To be clear, I am not talking about changing the search criteria, I am speaking of the search results. Periodically, the folder in the dock shows the contents from a day or two "back."

That's a rather facile answer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
What happens to said folder, if you put it in the Finder Sidebar ??

OP
Reaction score
Thanks, but I think that problem must be solved because it does update after killing the doc. Also changing the sort criteria on the dock entry will force a refresh sometimes. And the finder window is up to date.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Well there seems to be a little bug somewhere in the system then. By the sounds, you have found the solution that works for now, but everything I looked into didn't bring up any results.
You should send a bug report to Apple to let them know about the Smart Folders issue, and see it might get fixed in coming updates.
Just for reference, have you tried to uninstall cDock, and see what happens there ?? It could be something in that, that is stopping the refresh happening when a new file/folder is added to the Smart Folder.

OP
Reaction score
I suspect you may be right on cDock, which is why I mentioned it. But no, I haven't been a very good detective there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.