• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Smart Bulb recommendations, tips, uses

krs

Reaction score
Slydude said:
That HomeKit automation idea to blink the lights in some kind of pattern is an excellent one. I had not thought of that. I wonder if that is possible.
MacinWin said:
Not possible, as far as I can see in a quick look. I'll do some research, though, it could be handy in ANY neighborhood.
Maybe that feature is coming.
Every high powered LED flashlight I have bought in the last few years now seems to have a SOS blink setting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
For my application. control using a MacBook is actually a "must"

Ideal would be a way to have an application on the Mac that controls the X-10 system since I have a bunch of X-10 modules in a drawer gathering dust.

Maybe this X10 WiFi unit, if you even need it, would complete the other part of your puzzle and allow you to use your existing X-10 modules, but I didn't bother reading what software might be required:

X10 WiFi HUB for Android and Apple devices - WM100
Price: $109.99 [was $149.99]

Still seems to be available for shipping.

It sounds like an interesting and maybe a bit of a challenging project but I have virtually no knowledge that I can help with regarding X-10 modules and their control, or even how they all work.

I was directly in charge of a Direct Digital control system where I worked for years many years ago but it was designed for basically commercial HVAC and Lighting applications and I think the X-10 modules were quite similar with many improvements but more suited for home use.

Good luck getting your setup all working as you wish.

- Patrick
=======

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Maybe that feature is coming.
Every high powered LED flashlight I have bought in the last few years now seems to have a SOS blink setting.
You're right, I hadn't thought of that. I bought a couple of flashlights with that feature about two years ago.

krs

Reaction score
It sounds like an interesting and maybe a bit of a challenging project but I have virtually no knowledge that I can help with regarding X-10 modules and their control, or even how they all work.
I had the X-10 system set up in my previous house about 20 years ago or so.
Worked well, but the controller I have needs to be plugged into an AC outlet which is not an option the way I need the control now.
The only downside of X-10 at the time is that with a thunderstorm, sometimes all the lights connected to X-10 would come on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
The only downside of X-10 at the time is that with a thunderstorm, sometimes all the lights connected to X-10 would come on.

That actually sounds like it was a pretty neat feature to have had. ;-)

Most people don't want to be left in the dark during a thunder and lightning storm, or their pets.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Well, if you really want to control the X-10, and if you have the computer/X-10 interface wall wart, look at Insteon, Insteon

Also check out Indigo Domotics for control software for X-10. The Indigo Smart Home System for Mac OS X

Might be cheaper to just get new stuff that's more modern, TBH.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
antique
I bought several of the Globe Suite lightbulbs from Costco and they've been quite good. They come with their own app, allowing for custom colors, dimming and you can even set up schedules if you like. I can't remember the cost but they were quite affordable.

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@talonracer Thanks for that tidbit. I don't remember seeing that brand in the group that I have read about so far.

@MacInWin Earlier in the Thread (post #7) you mentioned that the two competing protocols (Thread and Matter) were being used to extend the coverage of these types of devices. I read recently that some Apple TV models recognize thread-enabled devices and can act as the hub. This seems to be true for the two most recent Apple TV models. I assume it would be true for other devices such as the HomePod series of speakers but haven't run that down yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
@MacInWin Earlier in the Thread (post #7) you mentioned that the two competing protocols (Thread and Matter) were being used to extend the coverage of these types of devices. I read recently that some Apple TV models recognize thread-enabled devices and can act as the hub. This seems to be true for the two most recent Apple TV models. I assume it would be true for other devices such as the HomePod series of speakers but haven't run that down yet.
Yeah, Apple does say it will support Thread. But Apple isn't the driving force in HA. Lots of competing vendors and systems and no clear winner yet. I invested in Homekit because I had the AppleTV boxes already and it seemed to make sense for me. Sooner or later a winner will emerge or a true standard will be developed and then we'll see what Apple decides to do.

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think we are on the same page. HomeKit looks like the right idea for me for the same reason. I already have an Apple TV that can function as the "base" so to speak. I'm also thinking of replacing some of our speakers with either the HomePod or HomePod Mini.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.