• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Smart Bulb recommendations, tips, uses

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Mrs. Slydude has finally decided that maybe we should try smart bulbs and tasked me with figuring everything out. I looked at this a bit a few years ago and we decided to hold off for a while. I've started doing some research but I thought I'd ask you guys for your thoughts/suggestions on the following questions/requirements:

1. Are their brands that should be avoided? If so, why?
2. We are both iPhone/iPad users and I noticed that some bulbs work with HomeKit and some don't. How well does this work?
3. Has anyone noticed any security/reliability issues?

I'm looking at this mainly as a means to turn off a few lights that can be difficult for me to access but I'm open to other creative suggestions for using these and similar gizmos.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
These may not apply as they may not be available in the USA, however I use Hive automation, as this is how our heating is controlled. The lamps work well, but one word of warning (not sure if this applies to other lamps) is when the lamp fails i.e. the light has failed, you need to disconnect the automation from your system, just changing the lamp does not do this, otherwise the dead lamp will remain visible on your system.

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for that info. I have seen Hive outlets here on Amazon and I think the bulbs may be available as well. I need to check again when I am a bit more functional. :)

If I understand you correctly the old/dead bulb is still "seen" by the software until you delete it even though the bulb has been physically replaced. Is that correct? If so, that probably wouldn't be a huge issue if the bulbs come close to achieving their projected longevity.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I'm looking at this mainly as a means to turn off a few lights that can be difficult for me to access but I'm open to other creative suggestions for using these and similar gizmos.

What's wrong with just using some of the remote Wireless activated switches that have been available for years. Nice and simple and just work, either wired into electrical switch boxes or plug ins for lamps Etc.???

Just call me an old-fashioned curmudgeon if you like. Even Radio Shack used to have their own brand that worked simply and reliably and was cheap as well.

- Patrick
=======

krs

Reaction score
What's wrong with just using some of the remote Wireless activated switches that have been available for years. Nice and simple and just work, either wired into electrical switch boxes or plug ins for lamps Etc.???
Can you be a bit more specific?

I have been looking, on and off, for a simple way to control an LED bedroom ceiling light using a 2017 MacBook Air.
Functions req'd are just on, off and dim.
Either a control wired into (or replace) the existing wall switch or a bulb with integrated electronics.

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For the love of all that's good in the world Patrick please don't say that to Mrs. Slydude. She already thinks (quite incorrectly I might add) that I tend to overcomplicate tech-related projects.

In all seriousness that is to be considered. Some of the places where switches are needed would require changing the existing switch, I'm not too keen on changing those yet as we are renting even though I don't think the landlord would object.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Sly, I can't speak to the smart bulbs because I don't use them. What I have are Homekit sockets (wall warts) that plug into the regular socket and are controlled via the iPhone/iPad Home app. I used to use the X10 protocol, where the signals use the wiring in your home to control devices at the sockets, but I moved to wireless a few years ago as I saw more and more vendors move to wireless.

Here are some things to consider that I have discovered in this process that maybe you won't hear from anybody else:

1. You need a good WiFi signal everywhere you want to put a device. I ended up getting an Eero system from Amazon to create a mesh network to cover my entire house. Not all mesh network providers work well with Homekit, so whatever you decide to use, make sure your router and any hotspots/repeaters are compatible.

2. Some units require a specific "bridge" or "hub" to control the actual devices. I have a dual-door garage, so I needed two garage door opener systems, for example. What I ended up with is from a company named Meross, and consists of a single bridge and three slaves (I have a spare). The bridge receives the signal and relays it to the two actual controllers that then activate the door openers to whatever is commanded. The bridge is wired to the controllers. Some brands of smart bulbs work the same way, so you need the bulb AND the bridge. In those cases I think the bridge connects wirelessly to the bulb, but I'm not sure because I don't have smart bulbs.

3. There are varieties of protocols for home automation. Homekit from Apple is one, Alexa has another, Ring, Google Assistant, all unique in some way. There is a movement to come up with a standard, and I think a lot of companies have signed onto a standard called "Thread," where each device becomes a relay to other Thread-compatible devices. The idea is to avoid dead spots in your WiFi cover by peer-to-peer Thread communications. I don't have Thread devices (yet) but will probably start a migration as I have to replace what I have now. There is another proposed standard called "Matter" that does the same thing. I am waiting to see who wins.

4. Some devices have their own controlling software. Most of them, if they say they are Homekit-compatible, allow you to use both Homekit and their own software. I have, for example an app from Wemo, eufy, and Leviton for those devices I have from them. But I use Homekit for all.

5. It's addictive. I started with a handful of X-10 wired switches and a push button pad so that my wife would not have to wander all over the house in the Christmas season turning off all the lights and electric candles in the windows. From bedside, she could just press buttons on the pad and turn them all off. That was 16 years ago, with about 6 units. Now, I have about 30 devices controlling indoor and outdoor lighting, cameras, doors. No locks yet, and no sensors for water leaks, or thermostats. Mostly lights and doors. I do have two in-wall switch setups. One controls my porch lights and another pair are at the top and bottom of the steps near my front door to control the lights in the entry foyer. They are both Homekit-compatible and can be manually operated as well.

6. It's both amazing and annoying. I have situation where devices drop out of Homekit even though they are in my network and I can "see" them through the eero app that they are connected and have a strong signal. To get them back, I unplug them for 10 seconds and then plug them back in to be rediscovered by Homekit. Apple has been unable to find a reason or offer any fix for it. I "lose" a device about once a week, which sounds terrible, but then I have 30 of them, so maybe it's not so bad? I'm used to it now. The amazing part is that it works, amazingly at times. I've had times when we have had visitors and the automation kicks in to set a scheduled scene. They are usually frozen as all of a sudded light just appear!

What I have are mostly wall warts that turn on/off, with a few that are dimmable. I leave the lamps plugged in and turned on, then use the iDevice to turn them on and off. Homekit also has "scenes" where a group of controllers can be defined and toggled with one press on the iPHone, or through Siri ("Hey Siri, turn on the kitchen corner light"). My automations turn on a light over my mantle to light a painting there, then at a few minutes before sunset turns on the internal house lighting I want, plus lights on my sidewalk and on a patio in the back. Then at sunset, automation turns on a spotlight on my flagpole to light the flag as required by law. At 11:30 pm, automaton sets a scene where one nightlight is turned on, the mantle is reduced to 30% as a nightlight and all but the flag are turned OFF. Another automation runs at sunrise to turn off the flag light and nightlight and to raise the mantle light back to 100%. When we travel, I have scenes for lighting to change during the evening to make it appear that someone is home as various lights go on and off over the house. The neat thing is that all of these are controllable over the internet, so I can make changes from anywhere in the world. One time my daughter needed to get in while we were in England, so I opened the garage door for her, turned on the interior lights and then talked to her through a security camera to tell here what she needed to do. When she left, I turned the lights off and closed the garage door again. Magic.

From a home automation perspective, I'm a rookie. There are controls for blinds, shades, alarms, cameras, sensors for water leaks, breaking glass, etc. Also locks and alarms. Outlets can be controlled by wall warts, or smart outlets where the outlet is directly controlled, or switches that control the outlet. Something new appears every month!

Getting back to you question, unless you want to be able to control the color of the lighting, and just want on/off/dimming, you can use the wall wart approach to get started.

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, Jake, your thoughts are very thorough as usual, and much appreciated. Your experiences match what I have been reading thus far and you raised a few points that I hadn't considered.

1. I think our wireless network will be sufficient with the need for repeaters/a mesh setup. Our current duplex is just under 1000 sq, ft. so coverage is good with our existing Netgear router although there is one area that I need to check.

2. I noticed that some of the devices seem to require a bridge. I wasn't aware of bulbs/devices dropping out until @Jimmysb mentioned that in an earlier post. When that happens, are you able to "fix" the issue from the software, or is some kind of a physical "reboot" necessary? Some things I might want to control, such as overhead lights would be impossible for me to reach.

3. The whole Thread v. Matter debate reminds me of VHS v. Betamax all over again. I'll let things sort out before I address that. right now we are only really looking at controlling a few things so it should be a while before that's an issue.

I'm thinking about using some bulbs where the color can be changed. If one were to fall in one room, for example, setting the color of that light to red might be a good way to alert emergency services where you are. On a more pleasant note, a green porch light lets the pizza guy know which unit is yours with other colors for different needs.

The initial setup will probably be simple until Mrs. Slydude isn't watching too closely and I can go overboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When that happens, are you able to "fix" the issue from the software, or is some kind of a physical "reboot" necessary? Some things I might want to control, such as overhead lights would be impossible for me to reach.
I can't speak for bulbs, as I said, but when a Homekit device "drops out" of Home, I have to unplug/wait 10 seconds/replug and let it reconnect to the network and to Home. And I have to do that EVEN IF, as is the case most of the time, it's already in the network. It's an Apple issue, not the network, and Apple has no suggestions to fix it. I have a couple in awkward spots, so when they drop out, it's a PITA to get them going again. But as I said, I don't know how the bulbs work.

Maybe for the overhead lights it would be better to put in a smart switch for them? At least that would be reachable, and my switches have not (yet) dropped out like the wall warts. (I probably just doomed myself, but the "fix" would be to pull the circuit breaker for that switch, wait ten, then reset it. That is a real PITA as well.)

Your idea on emergency crews is great. I may need to think about that a bit. That's the first really cogent reason I've seen for the multi-hue bulbs. I don't need varying color schemes. SWMBO isn't impressed by them...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I would have thought of Google Search would have turned up several sources and suggestions but I'll have a look when I get a minute or two as I'm sure they are still out there and available.

EDIT:
Just to add to Jake's excellent comments and to help KRS with their Googling for sources, you might want to even forget the MacBook control and consider just using a setup that you could purchase cheaply from Ikea:

ie:
Smart light switches, remote controls & power cords

and

This comes to mind considering you are located in Canada and not relying on any of your Apple products for control.

Just a thought...

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Patrick, the problem with those kinds of solutions is that they are proprietery and dead-ended. The first Ikea product is one hub for up to 10 LED lights, all proprietary to Ikea. And the lights are wired in to the hub that controls them and provides the power. So, if you want to light a cabinet, that might work. For general use, not so much. And the Ikea pricing is a bit deceptive in that it looks like you buy the controller, hub, wires, and lights separately from Ikea.

The challenge with the second Ikea solution is that the controls sets up to 10 devices, but they are all the same setting, all on, all off, as far as I can tell from the manuals. True home automation allows individual settings for each individual device. I can, for example, dim one light, turn another off or on separately, set a scene where some are on and some are off. Also, I can set a time for an event. My flagpole light, for example, is set for sunset, whatever time that is each day. The system gets that information from the internet and sets the light for me automatically. Same for the Dawn even that turns off the flagpole, nightlights, and brightens the mantle light. The system gets the sunrise time and executes it at the right time. None of that is in the Ikea solution.

If you really want to go exotic, you can use an iPhone and geofencing to have your house turn on lights for you as you get to your neighborhood, or turn them off if you are the last person (iPhone) to leave and pass that geofence location. Or, as I already described, you can remote control from anywhere with internet access. I've even seen folks who program, using geofencing, for their HVAC to adjust the home temperature based on how far from home the owner may be based on that same geofencing approach. There are a lot of very creative things you can do with HA.

So, the "cheap" solution from Ikea might be the right product for a very limited use, but it's not really "home automation" in any real sense of that word.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So, the "cheap" solution from Ikea might be the right product for a very limited use, but it's not really "home automation" in any real sense of that word.

Sometimes just a "cheap solution" is all that some people need for some situations and they have a choice whether they want to go that route or not.

Personally, I'm not a super huge fan of Ikea products, but I do respect that they have their place and work well for many people. Probably an indication of their vast success.

I just posted the suggestion as an alternative source for the member who asked the question, and their needs seemed to be very minimal, so why not keep the solution that way as well???

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I have been looking, on and off, for a simple way to control an LED bedroom ceiling light using a 2017 MacBook Air.
Functions req'd are just on, off and dim.
Either a control wired into (or replace) the existing wall switch or a bulb with integrated electronics.
If the LED is dimmable (Not many of them are), then you can get a smart switch to replace the wall switch for about US$50 from Apple ( home automation - Apple ) or from Amazon ( Amazon.com : smart wall switch dimmer ). If you want to control it with your iPHone, look for one that has software for you, or that is Homekit-compatible. If you go with Homekit, there needs to be a hub in your home to control it, which can be an AppleTV or the HomePod. There are brands with their own software, independent of Homekit, if you are just looking for one. As I said, Wemo and Leviton are two I know of personally. If you have an Alexa system, lots of them work with that, too.

All it takes is that you pull the breaker for the switch, swap it out with the smart switch, power on again, pair it to you iPhone and run the software.

As for controlling with an MBA, the Home app from Apple (Free in the Mac App Store) will let you control Homekit devices, set scenes, etc., although it won't allow you to create scenes, automation, etc. I have no idea why Apple limits that function to the iDevices, but it is what it is.

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can't speak for bulbs, as I said, but when a Homekit device "drops out" of Home, I have to unplug/wait 10 seconds/replug and let it reconnect to the network and to Home. And I have to do that EVEN IF, as is the case most of the time, it's already in the network. It's an Apple issue, not the network, and Apple has no suggestions to fix it. I have a couple in awkward spots, so when they drop out, it's a PITA to get them going again. But as I said, I don't know how the bulbs work.

Maybe for the overhead lights it would be better to put in a smart switch for them? At least that would be reachable, and my switches have not (yet) dropped out like the wall warts. (I probably just doomed myself, but the "fix" would be to pull the circuit breaker for that switch, wait ten, then reset it. That is a real PITA as well.)

Your idea on emergency crews is great. I may need to think about that a bit. That's the first really cogent reason I've seen for the multi-hue bulbs. I don't need varying color schemes. SWMBO isn't impressed by them...
The wall switch is a good idea. The circuit breaker box is outside though so I will have to think on that a bit more. I thought about using a lamp instead of the overhead light but then you're likely to have the same wall wort issue.

I would have done this a while ago but Mrs. Slydude was a bit reluctant initially but has started to rethink that a bit. Normally turning on an overhead light is not an issue for me assuming that the bulb has not blown out. The exception to that is when I am out of my wheelchair and the switch is out of reach from where I'm setting.

There are several duplexes along the same driveway and people sometimes have trouble reading the specific addresses to deliver things like pizza so it might be an issue for first responders if someone were not outside directing them to the appropriate unit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sly, don't let the drop-out issue scare you off of the wall switch. I had mine installed by an electrician, just to be sure it was done totally correctly. It has not dropped out at all in over a year of service. The Wifi signal next to it is really strong, which may be a contributing factor. In my case, if it drops out, I'll flip the breaker that is inside my house, which is easier than it would be for you in your circumstances. It is on/off for the porch lights, so it doesn't control color. For that you would need one of the smart light bulbs because the "smart" is in the base of the bulb, not in the power supply. So maybe a Phillips HUE, or someting similar that is Homekit capable, would be a good solution?

EDIT: Just a wild thought, but you could write an automation in Homekit to control a switch to flip the lignt on and off like a lightning bug as a signal? I don't know if you can write an automation for seconds, like 5 on, 5 off, but if it can, that might be a way to go?

EDIT2: Just looked at Home and I don't think it will make a light flicker fast enough to stand out. Bummer.

Last edited:
OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sly, don't let the drop-out issue scare you off of the wall switch. I had mine installed by an electrician, just to be sure it was done totally correctly. It has not dropped out at all in over a year of service. The Wifi signal next to it is really strong, which may be a contributing factor. In my case, if it drops out, I'll flip the breaker that is inside my house, which is easier than it would be for you in your circumstances. It is on/off for the porch lights, so it doesn't control color. For that you would need one of the smart light bulbs because the "smart" is in the base of the bulb, not in the power supply. So maybe a Phillips HUE, or someting similar that is Homekit capable, would be a good solution?

EDIT: Just a wild thought, but you could write an automation in Homekit to control a switch to flip the lignt on and off like a lightning bug as a signal? I don't know if you can write an automation for seconds, like 5 on, 5 off, but if it can, that might be a way to go?
I read a bit about the Philips bulbs when they first came out but they were new enough at the time that I wanted to see how they would hold up. From what I have read in the last day or two they seem to use a "bridge" device but that's not a huge issue. The starter kit is reasonable and would be enough to get us started.

That HomeKit automation idea to blink the lights in some kind of pattern is an excellent one. I had not thought of that. I wonder if that is possible.

Every time Mrs. Slydude thinks up a project I turn it into something requiring endless trips down a rabbit hole so to speak.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That HomeKit automation idea to blink the lights in some kind of pattern is an excellent one. I had not thought of that. I wonder if that is possible.
Not possible, as far as I can see in a quick look. I'll do some research, though, it could be handy in ANY neighborhood.

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too bad. I thought that was interesting.

krs

Reaction score
Just to add to Jake's excellent comments and to help KRS with their Googling for sources, you might want to even forget the MacBook control and consider just using a setup that you could purchase cheaply from Ikea
For my application. control using a MacBook is actually a "must"

Ideal would be a way to have an application on the Mac that controls the X-10 system since I have a bunch of X-10 modules in a drawer gathering dust.

I haven't yet read the rest of the thread, will do so today.

krs

Reaction score
If the LED is dimmable (Not many of them are),
It is - I use a normal wall dimmer now
then you can get a smart switch to replace the wall switch for about US$50 from Apple ( home automation - Apple ) or from Amazon ( Amazon.com : smart wall switch dimmer ). If you want to control it with your iPHone, look for one that has software for you, or that is Homekit-compatible. If you go with Homekit, there needs to be a hub in your home to control it, which can be an AppleTV or the HomePod. There are brands with their own software, independent of Homekit, if you are just looking for one. As I said, Wemo and Leviton are two I know of personally. If you have an Alexa system, lots of them work with that, too.

All it takes is that you pull the breaker for the switch, swap it out with the smart switch, power on again, pair it to you iPhone and run the software.

As for controlling with an MBA, the Home app from Apple (Free in the Mac App Store) will let you control Homekit devices, set scenes, etc., although it won't allow you to create scenes, automation, etc. I have no idea why Apple limits that function to the iDevices, but it is what it is.
Thanks, I have to check this out.
I was previously, when I looked at options, considering getting an Alexa system - then I could control the light with just a voice command.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.