slow MacBook Pro

Reaction score
MacBook Pro struggles to play video saved to its own hard drive. But it will play that same video file perfectly from an external hard drive. Computer is also slow to do basic things, like opening word. Just updated the ram but no change in the speed. Anyone know what is likely wrong? Thank you.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If a video file will not play a video file well from its internal drive but will play the same file much better from an external drive than from its internal drive, that suggests there may be a problem developing with the internal drive. I would launch Disk Utility (found in Applications/Utilities folder) and run Disk First Aid to see if there are any errors.

Do you have a current backup? What OS X version isi in this macBook Pro?

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks. I did the Disk First Aid, but that didn't seem to change anything. It said I still have 218GB of free space on the hard drive. My files are backed up on an external hard drive and the operating system is El Capitan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Thanks. I did the Disk First Aid, but that didn't seem to change anything.

See if there's any change or improvement if you Trash and delet the copy on the internal volume and copy the one from the external to the internal drive.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
There are many, many models of MBP{. Some with great video cards, some with mediocre, and older MBPs with outdated cards. Hard to tell which yours might be with so little model information. Is this with an SSD or platter hard rive?

M

MacInWin

Disk Utility does not detect all things that can be wrong with a drive. Example: It tests that the drive reads and writes. Great. But, it does not detect how many retries it takes the drive to get that read/write operation completed. A failing drive can require many more retries to get the job done, but because that retry is handled by the internal hardware of the drive itself, the OS doesn't see it. As long as the drive returns a success code within a fairly large time window, the OS is "happy" that the drive is OK.

So, a symptom like yours, where the internal drive is hard to use to play the video but an external is just fine, is a symptom of a drive about to fail for good.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.