Slow Mac Mini

krs

Reaction score
I was just about to order the SSD and Memory when I read that there is Memory compatibility with 2011 and 2012, but no mention of 2014.
Am I right in thinking the SSD cannot be replaced either, or would it even be any use without the memory upgrade?
Just for interest - how much memory do you have?
Not that this is upgradable.
But if you replace the 500 GB 5400 rpm spinner drive with an SSD, memory swap would be much faster and give you an increase in performance.
Although a 500 GB SSD would be adequate, if you can afford it, I would buy a 1 TB SSD since with the 500 GB drive you already have less than 20% free space.
What I did on my 2012 Mini is buy a 1 TB Crucial SSD which was less than $100.- US plus a SATA to USB 3.0 enclosure for about $10.-
Put the SSD into the enclosure, format the SSD and run it as the boot drive for the time being connected to one of the Mini 3.0 USB ports.
Very easy to do since you don't have to open the Mini and this will give you a good idea if you get the better performance you are looking for.
I have been running with that external SSD boot drive for almost three weeks - only issue is having another external box.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Standard Storage: 1 TB (Fusion*) Std. Storage Speed: N/A
Details: *By default, this model was configured with a 1 TB "Fusion Drive" (which combines a 1 TB hard drive and a 128 GB SSD).

This model also could be originally configured at the time of purchase with a 256 GB SSD (instead of the 1 TB "Fusion Drive") at no extra charge, a 512 GB SSD for an extra US$300, or a 1 TB SSD for an extra US$800. Starting January 13, 2015, Apple also added a 2 TB "Fusion Drive" as an option for an extra US$100. On October 27, 2016, Apple cut the price of the 512 GB SSD and 1 TB SSD upgrade prices to an extra US$200 and US$600, respectively. The company discontinued this model entirely on October 30, 2018.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have been running with that external SSD boot drive for almost three weeks - only issue is having another external box.

Just mount it to the mini with some good double-sided foam mounting or good duct tape... Back to a one piece Mac mini...

- Patrick
=======

krs

Reaction score

krs

Reaction score
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Post #7 in this thread says the OP has a 500 GB drive which is not even an option on "every mac"

It is for the slower GHz model:
Apple Mac mini "Core i5" 1.4 (Late 2014) Specs
Standard Storage: 500 GB HDD Std. Storage Speed: 5400 RPM

EDIT:
Odd how your #25 post finally shows up with a delay after I had replied and posted my post. It wasn't there earlier, so I guess I should learn to refresh the page before replying.

- Patrick
=======

Last edited:

krs

Reaction score
Just shows you how important it is that anyone who requests help with a problem needs to spell out exactly which Mac they have and the hardware & software configuration.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just shows you how important it is that anyone who requests help with a problem needs to spell out exactly which Mac they have and the hardware & software configuration.

You're dreaming or have had too many beers or gin drinks in some overheated heat wave I'm guessing... :D

- Patrick
=======

krs

Reaction score
It's actually pretty cool at 64F and drizzling here out East - wish it was hot enough for a few cold drinks.

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi all again,
So I have installed the new 500Gb SSD. Also the old drive is connected as an external drive.
I boot up and get a message; "The disc you inserted cannot be read by this computer" and the options; "Initialise/Cancel/Eject". I choose "initialise" and it boots up and works well.
But I'm a bit lost about formatting the new SSD and upgrading to Mojave which I decided would be best.
Any advice would be welcome.
D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But I'm a bit lost about formatting the new SSD and upgrading to Mojave which I decided would be best.
Any advice would be welcome.

As far as I know, and assuming that everything is now working well, any formatting needed will be done automatically by the Mohave installer. Nothing else you have to do or worry about.

Good luck.

- Patrick
=======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

As Patrick stated, the update to Mojave will format the drive for you. However, the format will be the new Apple file system: APFS. And that's good since APFS is optimized for SSDs.

OP
D
Reaction score
As Patrick stated, the update to Mojave will format the drive for you. However, the format will be the new Apple file system: APFS. And that's good since APFS is optimized for SSDs.
Thanks pm-r and chscag,
Would you post a reliable link for the download, I'd appreciate.
D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Would you post a reliable link for the download, I'd appreciate.

Just use your App Store.app and it should be readily available for you.

I can't do that as my old iMac is too old to use it, So it doesn't even show up even if I search for it.

Don't forget to do your backups and maybe even have a clone readily available, just in case.

But if you really need help, try this:
How to upgrade to macOS Mojave

Good luck.

- Patrick
=======

Last edited:
OP
D
Reaction score
Just use your App Store.app and it should be readily available for you.

I can't do that as my old iMac is too old to use it, So it doesn't even show up even if I search for it.

Don't forget to do your backups and maybe even have a clone readily available, just in case.

But if you really need help, try this:
How to upgrade to macOS Mojave

Good luck.

- Patrick
=======

Ooops!
"This copy of the Install macOS Mojave application is damaged, and can‘t be used to install macOS."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ooops!
"This copy of the Install macOS Mojave application is damaged, and can‘t be used to install macOS."

What can I say other than maybe get back to the drawing and planning boards I guess?

Maybe contact Apple for some help.

- Patrick
=======

OP
D
Reaction score
What can I say other than maybe get back to the drawing and planning boards I guess?

Maybe contact Apple for some help.

- Patrick
=======
I went to Apple support. They said the problem is an existing copy of the Mojave install app in the application folder.
As advised, I trashed this and rebooted in safe mode.
I successfully opened the Insall OSMojave window. When I came to the 'select the disk were you want to install the mac OS', there is only one option; the old Hard Drive!
D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I successfully opened the Insall OSMojave window. When I came to the 'select the disk were you want to install the mac OS', there is only one option; the old Hard Drive!

Well, I don't know if there's an actual reason or not for it not to install there, but assuming that everything is compatible, what about booting from the "old hard drive" and then try running the installer from there, and just maybe, it might let you install it on the drive you are wanting to install it on.

It sounds like you need a good dose of patience and persistence.

If you do happen to get the Mohave OS Installed, be sure to do ALL available software updates, including all those to do with Safari and the Security Update screwups. Yes, Apple's had a few more of those and excuse me if I don't comment on some of their testing prior to releasing software and updates, it seems to be getting a bit boring.

Good luck,

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Ooops!

That doesn't mean what it says. It means that the copy of the Mac OS that you have has an
expired certificate.

Do this, which will eliminate the problem:

1. Go into the Applications folder.

2. Find the Installer for macOS in your Applications folder

3. Right-click (or Control-click) on the installer and choose “Show Package Contents”.

4. Open the folder named “Contents”.

5. Open the folder named “SharedSupport”.

6. Delete the file named “InstallInfo.plist”.

7. Enter your administer password to confirm.

8. Now the installer for MacOS will work perfectly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That doesn't mean what it says. It means that the copy of the Mac OS that you have has an
expired certificate.

Thanks Randy,

I thought there was something like that but I was not sure.

Let's hope that fixes the problem for them.

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.