Slow Mac Mini

Reaction score
Hi,
My late 2014 Mac Mini is running very slow. I have run 'First Aid' and it tells me "corruption" and to run in Recovery mode. This I did without effect.
I'm wondering if this is something a new SSD would fix. Should I perform a back-up before I install? I have already used a 500gb external drive to do a previous OS update. Will this be sufficient to do another back-up? At present I'm running High Sierra Version 10.13.6 Can I update to a more up to date OS?
A lot of questions I know!, But grateful for any advice. Daibhin

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums.

A corruption from First Aid usually indicates your HDD is failing, so you should promptly backup your important data. If you were just going to replace the current OS and data onto a new drive, then a SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner backup would be fine, but you likely should replace the HDD in that Mac Mini with an SSD.

Once the SSD is installed, do a fresh install of macOS Catalina, the latest OS version, since your Mac supports it. While upgrading the drive, you should also max out of the RAM if you haven't already.

Then, you can restore the documents that you previously had and re-install apps that you want.

The other option is to backup your current system as it is, installed the SSD, restore the backup and THEN upgrade the OS.

Generally, I like the idea of doing a clean install once in a while to avoid carrying over a lot of clutter from upgrade to upgrade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Just a reminder that if you go to Catalina any application you have that is 32 bit will not run. You might want to check that before you upgrade.

krs

Reaction score
Just a reminder that if you go to Catalina any application you have that is 32 bit will not run. You might want to check that before you upgrade.
Not only that (Catalina won't run 32-bit apps), there have also been other issues related to Catalina that were discussed in this forum.
Unless you really need a capability only available in Catalina, I would just upgrade to Mojave at this time.

I upgraded to Mojave on my 2012 Mini and I'm quite happy with it.
There were no major changes from ElCapitan (where I upgraded from) - the dashboard for instance is still there the way it was previously.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for these suggestions and advice.
I have now backed-up the system. I'll proceed with the SSD install (I wonder what size i should get?)
As to "max out of the RAM", I don't know what that means!
I'll then restore the back-up. (will Time Machine do that for me?)
Then upgrade to Mojave as krs advises.
Grateful for the tips...here goes!!
D

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for these suggestions and advice.
I have now backed-up the system. I'll proceed with the SSD install (I wonder what size i should get?)
As to "max out of the RAM", I don't know what that means!
I'll then restore the back-up. (will Time Machine do that for me?)
Then upgrade to Mojave as krs advises.
Grateful for the tips...here goes!!
D

If you had a 1TB HDD in your current Mini and used up say 70% of the space, you likely want to go with a 1TB SSD. If you used less and are not seeing a huge increase, then you can go with smaller.

The Mac Mini came with 4GB of memory from the factory, but it supports a maximum of 16GB with 2 RAM slots. You can go to OWC to find the upgrade kits and videos to show you to upgrade. If you are already in there upgrading the HDD->SSD, the RAM should be a cinch.

OP
D
Reaction score
I have 500GB storage at present, 432GB available. I guess that should be enough. Perhaps I can add a second 4GB to the memory in the spare slot.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, a 500GB SSD should work for you. The Mac MIni has 2 slots and the default config is 2x2GB sticks. So if you upgrade just one of them to 4GB, you'll end up with 6GB total. If you are going to upgrade to Mojave or Catalina or whatever, I strongly recommend a minimum of 8GB (2x4GB) and ideally 16GB (2x8GB).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
The 2014 Mac Mini ram needed to be upgraded at the time of purchase. It was soldiered in.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The 2014 Mac Mini ram needed to be upgraded at the time of purchase. It was soldiered in.

Oh oops, thanks for that Bob, missed that. Odd that you could upgrade 2011, 2012 and can again 2018 onward..too bad.

krs

Reaction score
Odd that you could upgrade 2011, 2012 and can again 2018 onward..too bad.
Yes, there seems to be no rhyme or reason to that.
On the 2018 Mini one can upgrade the RAM again but now the storage is soldered in.

I have been trying to plan what my next Mini upgrade will be after the 2012 one I use now and both the 2014 and 2018 ones don't provide the future RAM/Drive upgrade possibility I'm looking for

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have been trying to plan what my next Mini upgrade will be after the 2012 one I use now and both the 2014 and 2018 ones don't provide the future RAM/Drive upgrade possibility I'm looking for

You may not get the chance since the next Mini will no doubt be configured with Apple Silicon. Apple is already providing special Mini machines that are equipped with Apple Silicon to developers in order to prepare for the changeover.

It very likely that everything will be preconfigured (soldered) with regard to memory and storage.

That's only my opinion which has on many an occasion been wrong. ;)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, there seems to be no rhyme or reason to that.
On the 2018 Mini one can upgrade the RAM again but now the storage is soldered in.

The storage is not a big deal, you can always configure it with more storage like I have for my new Mini, but having the upgradable RAM is important. For storage, if price is an issue, you can always go with external storage, so no biggie.

krs

Reaction score
You may not get the chance since the next Mini will no doubt be configured with Apple Silicon. Apple is already providing special Mini machines that are equipped with Apple Silicon to developers in order to prepare for the changeover.

It very likely that everything will be preconfigured (soldered) with regard to memory and storage.

Unfortunately - you are probably right.
I better "baby" my current Mini so it will last...and last

krs

Reaction score
The storage is not a big deal, you can always configure it with more storage like I have for my new Mini, but having the upgradable RAM is important. For storage, if price is an issue, you can always go with external storage, so no biggie.
I was thinking more of what one does when the storage fails.
Instead of just replacing it for $100 or less, depending what capacity one has installed, one now has to replace the whole Mac (or the mother board which is priced at the same level or even more)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

I would say that you are probably spot on and stating a very logical conclusion and very typical of the directions Apple has been heading.

- Patrick
=======

OP
D
Reaction score
I was just about to order the SSD and Memory when I read that there is Memory compatibility with 2011 and 2012, but no mention of 2014.
Am I right in thinking the SSD cannot be replaced either, or would it even be any use without the memory upgrade?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was just about to order the SSD and Memory when I read that there is Memory compatibility with 2011 and 2012, but no mention of 2014.
Am I right in thinking the SSD cannot be replaced either, or would it even be any use without the memory upgrade?

Looks like everything is soldered onto the logicboard for this vintage of Mac Mini. The prior versions had both upgradable and the version after has upgradable memory but the SSD is soldered on like most of the Macs.

Your Mac Mini did come with an SSD, and presumably it wasn't slow when your first bought it.

So, my recommendation is to back up all of your current data, then do a fresh install of Mojave or Catalina OS and restore the data you want back on there.

krs

Reaction score
Looks like everything is soldered onto the logicboard for this vintage of Mac Mini.
RAM is soldered to the logic board but not the drive.

Your Mac Mini did come with an SSD, and presumably it wasn't slow when your first bought it.
The 2014 Mini came with a 500 GB 5400 rpm spinner or a 1 TB Fusion Drive, not with an SSD.
It can be upgrade with an SSD

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.