Slow loading web sites

Reaction score
Safari 16.5.1 - I had AirPort Extreme for years in our house as our WiFi router. It finally died one day so I purchased a Linksys router. I am running a desktop iMac and a MacBook with Safari. Both are at macOS Ventura 13.4.1. My wife is using an old Dell laptop Windows 11 and connecting via WiFi. Her web sites/Internet is working as fast as always. Both my iMac and MacBook have slowed to a crawl when loading web sites. I've tried everything I can think of.

Reaction score
If you have your MacBook within a few feet of the router, is performance back to normal? If not, then the problem isn't weak Wi-Fi or bad reception. If it is, let us know and I can offer several ways to boost the Wi-Fi signal.

Have you tried changing the DNS settings? Switching to CloudFlare (1.1.1.1) might help.

Go to System Preferences --> Network --> unlock the lock at the lower left --> choose Ethernet in the far left column --> click on the Advanced button --> delete whatever is under DNS Servers and replace with CloudFlare's numbers.

Have you tried a different Web browser? Brave will have better performance than Safari:

Brave browser (free)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
If you are on Ventura (and the version of Safari sort of indicates you are), the setting is in System Settings, Enter "DNS" in the search bar and then DNS Servers. Click the "+" to add a server. You will then be asked for an admin password to approve the addition. There isn't any choice for WiFi or Ethernet, the DNS settings are for TCP/IP, which affects both, AFAIK.

OP
B
Reaction score
The desktop iMac is hard wired to the Lynksys router so it's not a WiFi issue. And if there was smoothing wrong with the DNS then my wife's Windows would be having the same issue as me. Correct?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
My Router/Hub was upgraded by my ISP, however I found my WiFi was not as good as it should be, an ISP engineer came round (part of the service), checked and added an extender, however she did also disable IP6 protocol as she informed me it can slow things down. Now 4 months later, my service and connection to devices is generally quicker - just a thought.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The desktop iMac is hard wired to the Lynksys router so it's not a WiFi issue. And if there was smoothing wrong with the DNS then my wife's Windows would be having the same issue as me. Correct?
No. DNS settings are unique to the machine.

OP
B
Reaction score
Solved. System Settings>Network>Ethernet>Details>TCP/IP> changed Configure IPv6 from "Automatic" to "Link-Local Only" on both machines and now I have blindly fast Internet on both. I never changed or tinkered with this setting so I must have been in an Apple update or has something to do with my ISP which is Xfinity. Just for my own education - why did changing it to Link-Local Only make a difference?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It may not have. I have the same settings for Xfinity, and it's blindingly fast with that setting in Automatically. What may have happened is that in changing the setting the TCP/IP stack got reset, which can make a difference as it is like "turn it off, then back on" you get from tech support all the time.

OP
B
Reaction score
Good 'ol Xfinity. (Comcast) "Unplug it and wait. Then plug it back in". So can this happen again? That the TCP/IP stack gets "full"?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So can this happen again? That the TCP/IP stack gets "full"?
The TCP/IP stack is a series of layers that perform certain functions to allow the communications. They don't get "full" but can sometimes get "confused" about what is going on. Rebooting, or resetting the network connections, can get the stack going again. If you really want to know more:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.