slow Ipad air

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2014 rMBP, 2.5,16g, video card
My wife complains about some games being slow on her Ipad Air. She also has over a thousand unopened emails (yahoo). Do unopened emails consume any memory and could this be the source of her problems?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
My wife complains about some games being slow on her Ipad Air. She also has over a thousand unopened emails (yahoo). Do unopened emails consume any memory and could this be the source of her problems?

Hi Rondog.. - welcome to the forum! :) For clarification, 'memory' is a vague term often confused when used in discussing an iPad - there is 'storage' (16 GB to 128 GB) which is like an internal HD or a SSD (of course, the iPad has SS storage) and then there is RAM which is 1 GB on the more recent iPads.

So, by 'memory', are you asking about storage and/or RAM - if the latter, then the emails mentioned will not be stored there; however, if these 'unopened' emails are mostly spam/junk, then why not just delete them?

BUT, for starters, I would suggest a 'Reset' of the iPad, if not already done, i.e. press the ON-OFF & HOME buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears; release both and wait for the iPad to reboot. Let us know if this helps. Dave

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for your reply Dave. I do understand the difference between storage and ram. I do not understand how my wife can let over 1000 emails (unread) just sit in her inbox. Perhaps a female member could explain that to me (just kidding ladies). I will try the full reset and see what happens. Is there an app to read how much memory is being consumed (like Memory Clean on my Macbook)? One gig of memory doesn't seem like much capacity if you have a lot of apps running.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
thanks for your reply Dave. I do understand the difference between storage and ram. ........ I will try the full reset and see what happens. Is there an app to read how much memory is being consumed (like Memory Clean on my Macbook)? One gig of memory doesn't seem like much capacity if you have a lot of apps running.

Hi again - well, I assumed that you knew the difference, but others might be confused about the two so just a general opening statement.

On the iPad, 'storage' can be checked in Settings -> General -> Usage, as you probably already know, but there is no 'Activity Monitor' like in OS X; however, iOS & OS X are completely different operating systems - iOS just does not require the resources needed on a Mac (e.g. I've got 8 GB RAM in my MBPro & 16 GB in the iMac). Now my iPads are stock devices, i.e. not jailbroken which likely offers different monitoring options.

Let us know if the 'Reset' helps (and a good cleaning of unopened emails?) - good luck. Dave :)

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I did the reset and wifey deleted most of the emails -no joy. Her ipad goes blank periodically for no apparent reason. It happens when she is playing one of several games. Any idea what could be the problem?

C

chas_m

Are these games actually apps on the iPad, or accessed through a web browser? Is the iPad being allowed to disperse heat when playing the games?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
usually an App game (Cookie Jam) but sometimes on Safari (Ancestry.com). She also thinks she loses the wifi connection. I checked our router and we get close to 75M/sec. I have no problems on my phone, Ipad or Mac. Her stuff has all the latest software updates. I am out of clues. Pilot error?

C

chas_m

Almost certainly pilot error.

Do you experience these problems when you use the iPad Air for (whatever you might use it for)?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have my own Ipad, but I've checked her settings and they are the same as mine. I suspect that she may inadvertently touch the wrong part of the screen which may cause a problem. The screen is very sensitive (especially with my fat fingers). Did I mention she has very little patience? I have run out of ideas for fixing her issue, sorry if I offer little help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.