Slide Show Application?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Stock MacBook Pro
Hey fellas, I've finally decided to apply at an Apple Store in a local mall. I dont know if everyone else had to do this but I have to submit a resume and I thought it would be clever/creative to make a slide show so I can show some of the art piece that i have done also.

Are their any free applications out their that would work nicely if I wanted to put in some music, photos, anything else? I tried using iMovie but my images come through very pixilated when I am building. I'm looking for something like Microsoft(..ewww..) powerpoint except with music capibilites. Any ideas would be helpful.

All the Best,
Ben

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Not sure what app you want... maybe iPhoto...

I will tell you this though... Resumes should be BRIEF... all of your info needs to be read/understood by the reader in around 30 seconds... any more and the person gets bored and moves on to the next resume.

Juat my $0.02.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
If your image sizes are adequate, then they shouldn't be pixelated in iMovie.
Don't enlarge them past their native resolution and you will be fine.

Also, it really wouldn't be applicable to even make a presentation like that IMO. You are applying for a job in a retail store. Your art won't have any bearing on your job duties and doesn't relate to the job you are interviewing for. Hobbies are great and knowledge of Macs are even better for your job, but a presentation like you suggest won't be necessary at all . The interviewer probably won't even have time to view it.

Focus more on your "soft" skills... being able to work with people, your character... qualities like that.
If you are still set on doing it, then do it with Apple programs and things that are included with a Mac, not a free or 3rd party application. If you want to work for Apple, then you want to promote your skill and ability with their products, not someone else's.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
Not sure what app you want... maybe iPhoto...

I will tell you this though... Resumes should be BRIEF... all of your info needs to be read/understood by the reader in around 30 seconds... any more and the person gets bored and moves on to the next resume.

Juat my $0.02.

I have to agree. A resume should cover all important info on one page.

Google, sample resumes, and take a look at their advice, structure, etc. No more than one page. Easy to read. Your name Large and in Bold at the top, then your contact info. Then Education, Relevant Work Experience, Volunteer Activities, and Three References (non-relatives).

Best,

Brian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
I think it's an interesting idea, as it'll demonstrate a passion and understanding of macs, but I'd be cautious about what you put in there. Presenting a slideshow might be more appropriate for other fields of work.

I'd keep it as a secondary focus. Don't rely on a slideshow to win points, as your resume will be a key feature, as well as your understanding of macs and personality. Even if you do present on a macbook pro, you can't walk in thinking all the hardware and software will work 100% - which is why I'm saying it shouldn't be a primary element.

Having said that, I think iPhoto could be a good app to use, as I believe you have the ability to manually control slides (which would allow the interviewer to set the pace of the interview - you don't want a set slideshow to drag on and on or end too quickly). Also, I don't think adding music is a good idea. It could be too distracting for people, or they may think it's trying to be too flashy. Like when people add music to a video on youtube, and suddenly think they're top video editors.

Keep it simple and concise. If you really want to show some examples of work, I'd also consider doing some quality prints. This can be a backup, and a quality print looks much nicer than a monitor any day. Just don't lose track of the purpose of the interview, and the kind of work you'd be expected to do in the office if you land the job. Keep it concise and as professional as possible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I'd say it depends on the position you're applying for: If you're applying to be one of their creative experts, then a demo makes sense. If you're just applying to be a regular sales person, then you're better off just focusing on making a good impression.

Remember: Most of the time you'll be selling the "basics" to newish customers, so practise by pitching the iPod or the iMac to a potential customer. They'll most likely ask for you to go through a mock sales conversation, so try to anticipate a few "curveball" questions they might throw your way (e.g. "Why should I get an iPod when you can buy other mp3 players for a lot less?").

The most important part of being a sales rep. is being able to adapt to the flow of the conversation and focus on what the customer wants, or what is best for his requirements - show you can listen and carry an intelligent sales discussion with a customer.

I'd actually go into the store and see how you're approached by the current sales staff. You can pick up a lot of the characteristics they're looking for by watching others.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.