Sleeping MBP overheating over night

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2012 MackBook Pro, 2.53 GHz i7, 16GB Ram, 512GB SSD MacOS 10.14.6
Rod,

I suppose hibernate the proper term. What ever it is the light on the front is out in the morning and it takes a few seconds to wake up where if just sleeping it wakes up immediately.

Cliff

Reaction score
I am no expert here - but my experience of MacBooks is that they don't go to sleep easily - I have the PleaseSleep extension loaded to try and help mine to nod off. I also find that 9 times out of 10 the problem when my MacBook starts heating up is a googleChromeHelper thread running amok - so either kill off google chrome or add "The Great Suspender" extension to power down all those google tabs when they are not in active use....

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Nah. The vast majority of MacBooks, MacBook Pro's, and MacBook Air's have no problems being put to sleep.:)

I can almost guarantee that the "sleep issue" in almost all case's (when it does happen)...is a software issue. If the computers storage was "nuked & paved" (completely erased/wiped & a freash install of the OS)...the computer almost alway sleeps fine.

The difficulty is...this approach is pretty drastic/radical...and in many case not worth it. And the difficulty can be tracking down exactly what the software conflict is causing the sleep issue.

Bottom line is. Vast majority of Apple computers have no issues sleeping.:)

- NIck

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Nick, I get what you are saying but given that we are so isolated here, and that my wife runs a business remotely from her laptop the "nuke an Pave" method does not appeal to her. I have done it myself and i know it takes weeks to get everything setup again and that's if you know how. Even then as you suggest tracking down the culprit may not be easy.

bcarteruk, I have downloaded and installed "Please Sleep" to no avail. It still refuses to sleep via the energy saver settings but I do note that there are 5 instances of Google chrome helper running in the Activity Monitor. I will consider The Great Suspender if I have no luck today.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Nick, I get what you are saying but given that we are so isolated here, and that my wife runs a business remotely from her laptop the "nuke an Pave" method does not appeal to her. I have done it myself and i know it takes weeks to get everything setup again and that's if you know how. Even then as you suggest tracking down the culprit may not be easy.

I hear ya Rod...that's why the "nuke & pave" is not always the best idea. I'm betting something is installed on the computer & it's interfering with the process that puts the computer to sleep. I hoped running Oynx would have helped.

One way to confirm this would be to boot the computer from an external drive (with just a fresh install of the OS on it)...then put to sleep & wake it up a couple times. If this works fine...then it shows something software related is messing up the sleeping process.

- Nick

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Worth a try Nick. I'm running out of ideas.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.