Sleep Light--what's the point?

S

Stevejac

I know it isn't important, but I've got to ask about my new iBook 12.1... Why did Apple put the weird pulsing light on the case near the latch? I don't see the point. Not that it matters, of course, but it does draw a tiny bit of energy.

Does anyone understand the reason for this 'feature'?

OP
P

PC HATER

you know it is supposed to be a signiture thing that only macs have,just another reason to buy a mac, have you ever had another mac before? oh it just means that your computer is on and that you can open it and it will turn back on

this is like 10 days later from the response above, I just wanted to apoligize if I was sounded like I was attacking you for your question, and It is my fiirst mac too so were coming fromt eh same angle.

OP
S

Stevejac

you guessed it...

This is my first mac.

PC HATER said:
you know it is supposed to be a signiture thing that only macs have,just another reason to buy a mac, have you ever had another mac before? oh it just means that your computer is on and that you can open it and it will turn back on

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
The pulsing light is to let you know the comupter is sleeping.

OP
W

WilliS

but most of all....its to let you know its purdy.. :) lol

the amount of power to make 1 light glow is far less than any other operation your computer could perform... it doesnt use much....although i wish the battery lives were longer.....like...6 hours would be nice! some chemical engineer....plz design me one!

OP
S

s3pt1k

DualG5Lova said:
but most of all....its to let you know its purdy.. :) lol

the amount of power to make 1 light glow is far less than any other operation your computer could perform... it doesnt use much....although i wish the battery lives were longer.....like...6 hours would be nice! some chemical engineer....plz design me one!

After looking at PC battery life, I about dropped a load in my pants when I saw my iBook run for 5 hours straight.
:)

OP
T

TylerMoney

Well, I wish my pb ran that long. I can get about 4.5 hrs out of it if I'm not doing my school work...or using other heavy programs...but on average I get 2.5-3.5 hrs out of it...it is a powerbook though. And the light is breathing....it just lets you know it's sleeping..makes it more like a person...makes it cooler..makes you cooler....makes everything around it cooler....I'm done.

OP
M

msSwitch

In addition to the cool factor, the "snoozing" light is supposed to indicate that it is safe to move your Powerbook. According to my PB documentation, once you close the lid or put the PB to sleep, the indicator light lets you know that the hard drive has stopped spinning. Moving it beforehand could damage your hard drive.

OP
R

Ray

It also serves as a landmark (like a lighthouse). When I am returning from the bathroom at 3:00AM trying not to wake my wife, I use the throbbing light as an inidcator of where my night stand is, so that I can get back into bed without stubbing a toe.

Thanks iBook! :)

-Ray

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.