Skype with Yosemite

Reaction score
I am about to install the latest version of Skype on my iMac, but I am forewarned of possible problems (e.g. "libflavors", etc.) that may cause the unit to crash, Furthermore, the installer wants access to keychain and I am getting adware popups so I am reluctant to grant access. Skype community is terse and divided on what best to do. Any thoughts?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Please post back with the specs for your Mac and which version of OS X it's running. As for the pop ups, you probably need to install AdBlock Plus for Safari (assuming you're using Safari which you do not say.....)

OP
D
Reaction score
@ cschag

OSX v10.10

iMac 21.5 inch ca 2011

2.5 Ghz Intel Core i5

4 GB Memory

Do you need more specification?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First, did you install AdBlock Plus as we advised you? Next, you're missing an update to Yosemite 10.10. Yosemite is now at 10.10.1, so be sure to download and install the update before doing anything with Skype.

Your 2011 iMac 21.5" is perfectly capable of running Skype as your iMac has a built in HD camera. And there should be no problem with allowing access to your keychain to store the password.

OP
D
Reaction score
@ chscag

I have not done the adblock yet, up to my neck in other alligators today. But I will.

Re the Yosemite version, I do not, as a rule, use the iMac dowbstairs, and I am not sure about the "automatic updates" I get with Windows...and I know Windows spews new forms of itself from time to time, but I gather Yosemite does not do automatic updates. I gather I and my careless progency should be aware of that lack of notification and do manual updates as we find new versions ... for example, as you have just informed me now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.