.sit is an antiquated format.. what about 7zip??

Reaction score
I'm on Windows currently but switching to Mac soon. I use 7zip on Windows, because it is hands down the best compression format out there. Better than zip, rar, sit, I've done the comparison tests.

The sad thing is, there's no nice graphical 7zip utility for OS X that I've seen. This is a shame. Even RAR format beats SIT with compression ratios. So why do people continue to use SIT?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
It's hard to get people to use technology that's on the bleeding edge.

SIT has been the standard on Macs for a long time and will continue to be for a long time to come (just sent a pre-press document to a printer in SIT).

For the same reason I think Mac OS X is a better operating system, but people still continue to use Windows. It's an antiquated system, but it's the standard work station at most jobs.

OP
C
Reaction score
Well, true.. I see your point. If I sent someone a 7z file, even in the Windows world, they'd be like "what the heck is this?" ;) But at least RAR is becoming a more popular format on Windows. I just would've thought Mac would've had something relatively more up to date than SIT format. It's a little disappointing but not a huge issue.

Actually it looks like there is a somewhat graphical 7z app: http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/19139
It looks pretty slim on features but better than nothing!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo 2Ghz 768M RAM
It's not so much 'Mac' that is propogating the sit format, it's the makers of Stuffit, software developers and end-users that continue to use the sit (and the bane of my existence, sitx) to distribute their software .

I have and always will use zip or rar, as both formats are cross-platform (win, lin and os x).

It's because of those aforementioned developers that I begrudgingly keep a copy of StuffIt Expander to open those sitx files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
1. Compression is much less important than it used to be. We no longer have to fit files onto a 400K (or 1.4MB) floppy. We have 60GB iPods and cable modems, which have grown much faster than file sizes, so it's less of an issue. Also, so much of our files are already compressed (in MP3 or QuickTime or whatever) that a file-compression utility is unable to gain any savings.

2. Compatibility is more important than compression. This is why ZIP and GZIP are built into the Finder, and Stuffit is not. Same goes for other formats.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.