simple setup that just won't work

Reaction score
Hello

What I am trying to do is have my gen 1 time capsule connect to my wireless router then connect my mac pro (no airport card installed) to my time capsule via ethernet in order to give my mac pro internet access. Seems simple yes? Problem is that something doesn't want to play ball, presumably I have something wrong in the settings.
I have spent several hours scouring through various forums and couldn't find anything, I even tried chatting to apple, they said call us tomorrow :S

Can someone please tell me how to pull this off?

Cheers

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I feel your pain. A couple of years ago I spent many hours over several days trying to get this to work for the same reason. As far as I could tell it isn't possible. Here's what I concluded:

1. If the Time Capsule is hard-wired to a third-party router then the Mac Pro should be able to connect to the Time Capsule via ethernet. I know that works because until recently I was running my MacBook Pro that way.

2. If the Time Capsule is connecting to the third-party router wirelessly that also works but the Time Capsule's Ethernet ports are deactivated. In short, that model Time Capsule does not appear to do what you seem to want to do.

If I remember correctly the ethernet ports continue to work if the Time Capsule wirelessly joins networks created by other Apple gear. Later generations of Time Capsules may not have had this issue.

I solved the problem by getting a dedicated wireless bridge. It would join my network wirelessly and the ethernet ports remained active.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.