Simple question-simple answer for simple soul?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Ok, somebody else mentioned this in a previous reply, but in System Preferences > Time Machine, under "Exclude these items from back ups", you should also add your startup drive to that list. This should stop TM from asking if you want it to back up to any drive you connect.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Don't give up just yet Keith. It has been a while since I delved into the workings of Time Machine and things have changed since the last time L looked at its behavior. I'll see what I can dig up.

OP
sllewk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 inch iMac - Ventura. iPhones 8 and MacBook Air - Catalina.
Hi Bob, sorry but what do I type in the box to add my Startup drive and could this be elusive answer?

Very best regards from Keith in Derby England.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Click the (+) at the bottom, and navigate to your hard drive, which is usually named "Macintosh HD".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
And just to correct something said earlier, you can still "turn off" TM, it's just that the label was changed to make it "Back Up Automatically," and you UN-check it to turn TM off. The net result is exactly the same, namely, TM doesn't run to make backups or take snapshots. That's how I have mine set and I use Time Machine Scheduler to make backups just twice a day.

Drives listed in the "exclude" pane are excluded from being backed up. By making EVERY drive excluded, you are saying to TM, "there are no drives to back up."

From the screen prompt, the simplest way to make it stop is simply to click "Don't use."

So, Uncheck the box, exclude all drives and Don't Use the drive and TM should leave you alone.

OP
sllewk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello Bob, Exclusions now read "Macintosh HD and Super Duper". Many thanks Bob, now I hope I can rest peacefully knowing the TM is switched off - or can I? Will have to wait until Wednesday AM to find out, that is when SuperDuper does the next backup. Can I step back to Sierra as installed on my Mac when delivered? That way maybe I can turn TM off completely!

Very best regards from Keith in Derby England.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you want to test it, you can eject/unmount/trash and unplug the drive Super Duper. Then plug it back in, it should not ask, if this is a fix.

If this does not fix it, I would ask that you run Onyx, https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html. I'm not sure if you already have it, please be sure to get the correct Onyx version for your macOS version. After installed, select the Automation tab, I usually run the default set.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
In support to your reply to sawday, if you are running High Sierra it is no longer possible to turn TM off. The on/off button has been removed and replaced with the Auto Backup option tick box.

Thanks for the HS heads-up Rod, and BTW: I didn't find sawday's post to be sarcastic at all. A nice straight forward "simple answer", just as requested!!

BTW: Which Mac or OS X is having the TM problem???
OP's Specs:
21inch iMac 2017 high Sierra.
MacBook Pro 13 inch El Capitan.

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
OP
sllewk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello all who offered solutions, with the help of a number of knowledgeable members yet another problem has been solved. Thank you all so very much.

Very best regards from Keith in Derby England

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Glad you got that sorted out. What fixed it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Thanks for the HS heads-up Rod, and BTW: I didn't find sawday's post to be sarcastic at all. A nice straight forward "simple answer", just as requested!!

BTW: Which Mac or OS X is having the TM problem???

- Patrick
======

Thank you Patrick. It wasn't meant to be sarcastic in any way, shape or form. I just thought the OP was being rather pedantic for no good reason. Glad it's all sorted now though.

OP
sllewk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good afternoon Sawday, I am so sorry I took you to task over FFS, as I said I am aware of it's meaning and I do not like swearing in any shape or form. As a result I got my back up and lost all control of common sense. That is most unlike me but I feel my frustration level must have been quite high; so sorry my friend as I am normally quite placid. Lost it big time - sorry.

Very best regards from Keith in Derby.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
@sllewk
Very best regards from Keith in Derby.

OT, but…

BTW sllewk: I like your sig:
You failed to prepare, now prepare to fail.

Sort of a takeoff of the various "P Rule" I gather??
ie:
6 P - Proper Planning Prevents **** Poor Production
7P - Proper Prior Planning Prevents **** Poor Performance

etc…

And I see they are up to the 12 P mark now…
http://simmymart.blogspot.com/2012/07/5ps-6ps-7ps-10ps-and-12-ps.html

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.