Significant Slow-Down

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Last edited:
Reaction score
Well this is a few of the articles I read and although 2 years old I don't believe anyhing has changed much in this regard.

Like I said, the iPhone is designed so that you don't have to close apps.

However, my experience is that when you find yourself with way too many apps open, that memory usage has to come from somewhere, and you will find that your iPhone has slowed to a crawl.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.5 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I "look after" a very good friend in his eighties who asked me to "sort out" his iPad. Not only was it very slow to do anything, he found that he was having to charge the battery more often than previously.

He had 15 apps running, including Safari with numerous websites open including 3 logins to the same site. Quitting these had a dramatic effect on speed of operation and his iPad went back to requiring a once daily recharge.

Admittedly, the iPad was around 6 years old running iOS 12 - the maximum possible.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
That was me Randy, I stand corrected, Big Dunce Cap for me.:[
Some research on the topic reveals that storage is not used in iPhones as a part of integrated memory like it is on a Mac.

I think I should shoulder part of the blame for such comments as well with my #8 post and no Dunce Cap needed Rod.
It was mentioned as a "I wonder if" reason for the slowdown and I couldn't find anything immediately with a Google search.

Anyway, thanks for the updated info about iOS speed and storage space.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I "look after" a very good friend in his eighties who asked me to "sort out" his iPad. Not only was it very slow to do anything, he found that he was having to charge the battery more often than previously.

He had 15 apps running, including Safari with numerous websites open including 3 logins to the same site. Quitting these had a dramatic effect on speed of operation and his iPad went back to requiring a once daily recharge.

Admittedly, the iPad was around 6 years old running iOS 12 - the maximum possible.

It does depend on the apps that are running, or "not quit". Apps that don't need to be doing anything in the background should go into standby and not be hitting the battery. Some apps do have to do things in the background (music for example). Then there are those that are abusive, like Facebook has been. My Ex was seeing heavy battery drain several years ago and she talked to Apple. One thing they said was to close Facebook when not using it. Some time later, I read an article where they were abusing an api to stay active full time... I can't recall what exactly, I think it was "pretending" to be playing audio or video in the background, forcing iOS to keep it alive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13" 2020 (M1) iPhone 14 Ipad 8th gen ATV 4K 2nd gen
Well this is a few of the articles I read and although 2 years old I don't believe anyhing has changed much in this regard.

I close all my apps on iPhone every night. It looks like I should stop that!!
Does the same apply to iPad?

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.5 Ghz i5 with 16GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD.
@kribensis12

Thank you for your honest follow-up and comments.

I don't think any of us were aware that there had been water damage. You relate that to Face ID not working which is logical; but I'm not sure that one can completely omit that accident from the other problems your iPhone has.

Granted, there are storage issues and collectively, we've suggested ways to deal with that, apparently without success.

I gather that you have tried to free up the storage available? It would be worth checking to see if this is reflected on your iPhone.

As before, could you > Settings > General > iPhone Storage. Then alongside "iPhone" it will tell you "x GB of 64 GB Used".

Would you mind doing this again to see if your endeavours have diminished the amount of GB used of the 64 GB available?

Ian

Hey, thanks for the reply!

The slowness predates the water issue, so I would think that they are unrelated (stopped workin July 10th). TBH I'm not even sure how water damage occurred - it was barely submerged and for a small period of time (there is no damage to the enclosure, so presumably it's watertight) and the faceID just bit the dust.

I now have 15GB of free storage and I have not seen an improvement (which seems to match the replies since yours).

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
My daughter's iPhone XR FaceID failed and I called Apple which allowed me to run a hardware diagnostic which showed that there was hardware failure. Due to that, she ended up getting a replacement phone.

Recent iPhones should be able handle being underwater without any damage to them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
FaceID not working is a sign that something is going on with the hardware. The immersion in water should not be the reason for either FaceID or slowdown. I think the water is a red herring. I would recommend taking the iPhone to have it tested by Apple technicians to see if there is a more fundamental problem. Not having AppleCare could be expensive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Sometimes hardware failures have a cascading effect. One part fails; eventually another fails, possibly due to electrical issues that are caused by the part that failed originally. I would spread a tab of butter on this thing. It’s toast.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My daughter's iPhone XR FaceID failed and I called Apple which allowed me to run a hardware diagnostic which showed that there was hardware failure. Due to that, she ended up getting a replacement phone.

Recent iPhones should be able handle being underwater without any damage to them.
I'm out of warranty (manufacturer, I don't have AppleCare+).

I do know that my CC company will double the manufacturer warranty on electronic device purchases - but if Apple determines that the water is the cause (as well, FaceID stopped while it was in water) then I would be billed for the repairs. I can't afford the repairs if they need to occur.

It sounds like there is not much I can do here but wait until I'm ready to replace the phone.

Reaction score
It sounds like there is not much I can do here but wait until I'm ready to replace the phone.

You can drop by an Apple store and have them test your phone. They will do that for free. You may not be able to afford the repair, but at least you will learn what the source of the problem is.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I'm out of warranty (manufacturer, I don't have AppleCare+).

I do know that my CC company will double the manufacturer warranty on electronic device purchases - but if Apple determines that the water is the cause (as well, FaceID stopped while it was in water) then I would be billed for the repairs. I can't afford the repairs if they need to occur.

Previously, any water damage was deemed a warranty voiding event and all repairs were out-of-pocket. With the recent iPhones being "waterproof", that requirement has become a little lax. Additionally, with AppleCare you can pay a deductible for up to 2 events and have the device fixed under warranty.

All of this doesn't help you much, but yeah stick with the phone as it is for now and then upgrade it when it comes time knowing that you'll take a hit on trade in due to at least the failed Face ID.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can drop by an Apple store and have them test your phone. They will do that for free. You may not be able to afford the repair, but at least you will learn what the source of the problem is.

Thanks, Randy! My phone tells me that there is a problem with the sensor.

I was told by a Best Buy rep (nearest Apple store is 3 hrs away) that newer iPhones have water sensors all over the inside of the iPhone - not just near the port. He said that the likelihood water being the problem (since well, it stopped working right after being submerged) means that even if the part failed, the water sensor near the FaceID portion of the phone would make the cost of the repair my responsibility.

I'd love for Apple to fix it.... I forgot how annoying not having it is!!!! I'm half tempted to nix a passcode... (but I won't...).

Reaction score
My iPhone XR was a full two years older than the 12 when I replaced it with the 14 plus and it had not slowed down at all. I would be interested to hear what happens if you free up another 10 gigabytes. I find that force quitting all apps and restarting fixes most problems but you have done that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.