• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Show us your Christmas lights!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
This is nothing fancy as I live in a small one bedroom Duplex in a court with 2 sets of Duplex's side by side with a walkway in between. It's always been a pain to snap a picture showing it all as some blink and are off when I take any given pic. Here is from quite a distance back. There are more lights than it looks in the pic and a lot are now LED's which cut way down on my bill! :D In case someone asks, the two glowing eyes on the porch are my one cat watching me take the pic! :D

Click for large view - Uploaded with Skitch

Here is another pic closer up showing some of the lights.

Another at a different angle showing the other end of the house. What I did not notice till I looked at the picture later is 100 lights in the hedge were out! Fixing that this year. Normally the whole hedge in front of that one windows is all lit up.

I help decorate my friends place out in the sticks. He lives in a Farmhouse outside of the city. Amazing lights. 100k of them. His bill is maybe $400 for December. People drive for miles. I will post a few of those pics in another post since I have helped him put it all up every year.

Very Nice! We usually put ours up the first weekend in December. ;D

Reaction score
Gagnerants: Ah California. The trees are still green!!

Here's my dorm window. <See attached>

Granted, my phone camera isn't the best, but it's the best I could do. Other people have Christmas trees and lights hanging in their rooms…but not in the window. And yes, that is a brick wall, so only a few people and a sliver of the street can see the lights.

1129102327.jpg

1129102329.jpg

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Actually 100K could be understating it! He has 200 AMP electric service. We had to put in a separate panel with many circuits each with separate breakers or he would blow every breaker in the panel! Last year another friend and I used a Clamp On Ammeter to measure the current. There are two 120 Volt Circuits each rated at 100 Amps. One side measured 80 Amps and the other 90 Amps! The electric company loves him! :D

There is no way I can even show half of his grounds and lights and decorations here, but there is a 100' long fence in front of his farm. It's all lit from one end to the other. Here are two quick pics of that fence. This is just part of the fence.

A close up of one small area of his fence.

There are driveways going all around the house to the back. Every inch of both sides and the back yard and barn is covered in lights.

This is one side. A lot of things in that pic are animated. I took some videos last year. Deers moving their heads, a large santa all animated with music playing. This friend goes all out for sure. It's a pleasure to help.

Another view from more toward the back.

One shot from the back by his one barn.

It takes days to get this all put up and working right and the load on each circuit optimized so no one circuit will overload or overheat!

He really has the Christmas spirit for sure! :D

That's some craziness right there. You could always take pics of fence and piece it together in Photoshop to make a huge panorama. >_<"

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That's some craziness right there. You could always take pics of fence and piece it together in Photoshop to make a huge panorama. >_<"

That really is an excellent idea. I will get all the pics of the fence together and see if I can get them all to match and into one. It's quite beautiful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
i was going to put my outdoor lights up when i returned from Florida. However, the sub-freezing temperatures and impending snow have changed my mind.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Anyone else have any pics of their christmas lights or displays they would like to post?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Anyone else have any pics of their christmas lights or displays they would like to post?

No i havnt. Where i live cant do much but i did find this ... And all can say is WOW and WOW lol

20101212-82ef3kf8f9k2888y23j1pip6qc.jpg

A Family in Delaware have built extravagant Christmas lights setups for 25 years now. How extravagant? They use 1,000,000 lights. So how much does it cost them to run the lights for a month? $82,320.

WOW

LINK

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
WOW, Thanks for posting that TattooedMac! Awesome!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
Not quite as fancy as some of you. You'll also notice my deflated Snoopy. He was up before the lights, but I had to fetch another extension cord. He's ok, now, but I took the pic before I got one.

IMG00222-20101209-1807.jpg

IMG00207-20101128-2009.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
P1000355.JPG

Small ornament...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Looks great SCP! Thanks for posting.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Paging the Griswolds, party of 4.

I just watched that movie. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation! I think this pic is a lot nicer but I get what you are saying! :D

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Humm 82k...I think I can find better things to do with that kind of money than light my house for a month. >_<"

dtravis7 you promised a panorama. >_>""

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry CR, got a really bad case of the Flu and it got to my one ear and so much pressure I have not been able to do much. Will see if I can do it later if I feel better.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry CR, got a really bad case of the Flu and it got to my one ear and so much pressure I have not been able to do much. Will see if I can do it later if I feel better.

Oh no worries. Hope you feel better soon.

Kind of weird since I've never had an ear infection before in my life before so I have no idea what that feels like. I've seen other people get ear infections before though. >_>"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.