Show password at login instead of dots

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a way to force the OS to show the login password while it is typed during login? I have a 25 character password with caps and numbers and it is essentially a random string of letters. I am too old and lazy to memorize another. Meanwhile my 'h' key has started causing problems. Sometimes an 'h' does not appear when typed and sometimes multiple h's appear. Unfortunately, my password contains h's. I am willing to use the terminal as needed to change the login screen.

(Only needed to fix four 'h' related typos in this post!)

Thanks for any ideas provided.

jhmiii

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Whilst there are ways to show letters and numbers instead of dots or asterixes, these seem only to apply Safari and other Browsers - loads of examples from a Google search (Show password at login instead of dots on Mac) -

- unfortunately this is not possible for your Login.

Here is a direct quote from Apple Communities where the same question was posted last year -

Q."I'm at home on my iMac, High Sierra still. No one is ever around. I don't need the password that I type in to be hidden on the login screen upon startup or wake-up. Is there a way to set it to show the characters for the password as I type them in instead of the dots? I'm skilled enough to use Terminal or whatever. I've seen solutions for web browsers, but not the computer's actual startup screen. Actually, this hidden password industry standard is a big pet peeve of mine. "

A. "Apple would have to rewrite the Login panel to provide alternation between dots, and plain text characters, so no fix for your peeve."

Ian

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If this is your login password to your machine, there is no reason to make it extremely complex if you are sure that it's in a secure place. Make it a short but strong password that you can actually remember.

If you make it too complex, you're just going to end up writing it down somewhere to remember which defeats the whole idea of having a password in the first place.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
In addition to the above comments, if your problem is largely a consequence of the 'h' key failing, why not change the password to something that does not have an 'h' in it? Aside from that, what exact Mac do you have? If it's one of the models with a butterfly keyboard, it's eligible for a no-cost repair outside of warranty.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Have you considered using a different keyboard? It doesn't have to be an Apple keyboard to work; Decent replacement keyboards can be had at a reasonable price. If you're using a notebook, and aren't traveling with it, any keyboard that would work with a desktop Mac will work as well.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Sly,

It has occurred rather belatedly that we don't know what Mac the OP has. Is it a MacBook or Desktop or Mini? Two of those three require a standalone keyboard; the MacBook obviously has it built-in.

This would make a difference in how we respond. Eg, one could argue that a Desktop well secured in a house might not necessarily need a log in PW (excluded in System Preferences); or a more simple, easily remembered PW for a Desktop/Mini and for the MacBook.

However one looks at it a 25 character PW to log in is OTT??

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
And a twenty-five character, random, is really OTT!

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the responses. I had hoped a path was available to show the password via some arcane command in the terminal. I have a MB Pro 15" 2016. I will look into Apple repair, especially if they will do it for free. (Maybe even if I have to pay!) The problem with changing my long password is that for me it is memorable. At my age that is all important.:)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Jake that occurred to me as I was writing that post. I should have asked that question.

If the keyboard repair is going to be costly, consider using an external keyboard. There are several wired and wireless options available that will likely cost less than a keyboard repair. Not a great option for traveling but works nicely if the laptop is home most of the time.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Info regarding the keyboard repair:

Apple will repair or replace the butterfly keyboard on those machines which are eligible. The free repair/replacement is good for four years from date of purchase.

The OP's machine is one of those that are eligible, so he has four years from the date of purchase to get it repaired or replaced.

In order to replace that keyboard, Apple replaces the entire top case. It's an involved repair. The only problem is that he will have to send the machine to Apple or take it to an Apple store if one is open in his area. The repair may take more than several days or even a week or two.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
In order to replace that keyboard, Apple replaces the entire top case. It's an involved repair. The only problem is that he will have to send the machine to Apple or take it to an Apple store if one is open in his area. The repair may take more than several days or even a week or two.

I can't speak for everyone's experience, but I had to send in the 2019 MBA that I last had for a keyboard repair and the turnaround was something like 4-5 days from the time I dropped it off at FedEx until it came back to my door. It was obscenely fast! If a local store option is available, it should take only a day if scheduled in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
So, if the keyboard is fixed, there's no need to see the characters of the password as you type them? In the meantime, how about this: install a clipboard app that remembers things through a restart, then create a file that has your password in it and Copy it to the clipboard. When you log in, Paste it.

I used to save several things this way. I could just paste from the appropriate saved clip instead of typing it out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
So, if the keyboard is fixed, there's no need to see the characters of the password as you type them? In the meantime, how about this: install a clipboard app that remembers things through a restart, then create a file that has your password in it and Copy it to the clipboard. When you log in, Paste it.

I used to save several things this way. I could just paste from the appropriate saved clip instead of typing it out.
It may work after a login, but prior to login, the clipboard should not be loaded.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

I had a MBPro I used to use, and now at 79, I wouldn't want any extra brain draining procedures happening, but even years ago I just used a single character as a username password.

I used it for years and it was easy to remember and use.

25 characters for a user login password is absurd. :rolleyes:

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.