• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Shout out for OWC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac with OS X 10.11.2 -16GB memory
My new iMac didn't come with a DVD player so I needed to buy and external one
On the recommendations from several people here I called OWC. The woman I spoke with was very helpful in advising me on a model that would work for me. It is a tray model with a manual eject slot in the event the tray doesn't open . All I would need to do is put a paper clip in the manual eject hole and the tray will open .
OWC's DVD price was very good and it arrived quickly. I will definitely do business with them again

Most of us share unpleasant experiences, but I also believe in sharing good experiences too :Cool:
Barbara

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
My new iMac didn't come with a DVD player so I needed to buy and external one
On the recommendations from several people here I called OWC. The woman I spoke with was very helpful in advising me on a model that would work for me. It is a tray model with a manual eject slot in the event the tray doesn't open . All I would need to do is put a paper clip in the manual eject hole and the tray will open .
OWC's DVD price was very good and it arrived quickly. I will definitely do business with them again

Hi Barbara - as you likely know, Apple has not put an optical drive in their iMacs for 4-5 years - bought mine in 2013 along w/ Apple's external Superdrive (the slot loader). OWC is a great online Apple site and is often recommended here - I've ordered a half dozen products from them over the last 2 years and have never been disappointed - last night I purchased a 1 TB Thunderbolt external HD to do Time Machine backups on the iMac (had a USB Seagate that kept getting ejected!) - good luck w/ your optical drive - if you do have a problem, then you should be impressed w/ their service. Dave :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Glad to see you got that resolved so easily Barbara. My first encounter with OWC was more years ago than I care to remember. I was doing a processor and ram upgrade on a Blue & White G3 tower. Wasn't sure I had the right parts so I called their support department. I think I was on the phone for about half an hour. It took a while for the parts to be delivered but everything worked exactly as expected. Been dealing with them off and on ever since.

Reaction score
I recently ordered a SSD from OWC and ended up with a double order (my fault) I was amazed when I accessed their site to find a phone number and better yet someone answered! My dilemma was solved in a few minutes, excellent CS I will be doing business with them again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A1286 MBP5,3 running 10.9.5, iphone6, Mac mini1,1 A1176 120/2gb
OWC is a great company to deal with. Tech support is stellar and the sales people are friendly and knowledgeable. I have purchased from the many times, and have no reservations about recommending them. Truly a rare company!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
+1 on OWC's CS and other services provided.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
+1911 OWC. There have been times I haven't even bothered shopping around, because their service is excellent and their prices are usually great, or within an acceptable amount of whatever other store has the item.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
No doubts what the reference is here! It's not the first running of the Indianapolis 500!;)

- Nick

I appreciate the classics. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.