Should I throw my Haswell macbook air away to buy a Broadwell macbook air ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
... they are good

Thank you chscag, following your wise advice, I deleted the unclear spelling of my question that was "Should I throw my Year N macbook X away to buy a Year N+1 macbook X' ?". I hope my question

Last edited by a moderator:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is this some sort of a math test for Algebra students? How about posting something that makes more sense? Read my signature line: "Quality Post"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Considering the Broadwell-based MacBook Air is still a rumor at this point, there's not enough info out there on its performance to provide guidance.

This is on top of the fact that you haven't told us what you're doing on your current Mac that might benefit from extra power.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
... they are good
Thanks for asking. I was using my mac for internet, text editing on Pages and PDF when I discovered iMovies and GarageBand. But actually I am a rather basical user. I am mainly wondering what will be the impact of Broadwell implementation in the MBA... if ever it happens what is, as you said, merely a rumor for the time being.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Yes Iglu I think you should throw it away immediately ~ I will PM my address to save you any trouble and will even pay for postage.

C

chas_m

The Broadwell chips advantage is not so much in faster speed but in more power-efficient and cooler operation. So no, there's little to no advantage to you in selling your Haswell for a Broadwell. Your machine is still perfectly capable and will remain so for some time to come.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.

Yes, as long as you do so G E N T L Y into my wastebasket, which I will line with goose feathers to make sure it rests easy.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
... they are good
more power-efficient and cooler operation
These are MAJOR considerations. But as you say, my medieval MBA from 2014 is working great so I am planning to delay the throw off for about 7 to 10 years. Sorry for those who didn't send me their adress before I changed my mind ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Drat Iglu don't think I can last that long!

Reaction score
Destroy it immediately. Take a hammer and just pound away at it until there's nothing left but mangled metal and dust. Utterly annihilate it and dispose of it right away.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
... they are good
Well... I don't want to spread frustration but, sincerly, there is no chance for me to swift from my current equipment to the 9h life multi-batterIES Retina macbook.

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Well... I don't want to spread frustration but, sincerly, there is no chance for me to swift from my current equipment to the 9h life multi-batterIES Retina MBA.

If you're serious about getting a new MacBook Air. Apple is announcing new MBA models as we speak at today's Apple Event.:)

- Nick

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
... they are good
If you're serious ...

Thanks for the attention ;) In fact I watched the keynote on live. That's why I was able to say I have no interest in the new "Macbook". I would have, as a mere possibility, thought different if the new device had a 20h or + life battery.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Argh Iglu you disappoint me!!!!!!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the attention ;) In fact I watched the keynote on live. That's why I was able to say I have no interest in the new "Macbook". I would have, as a mere possibility, thought different if the new device had a 20h or + life battery.

Great. You're not interested in the new MacBook. This thread has been about the MacBook Air. So the new MacBook Air models is what I was referring to.:)

20 hour battery life…where did you come up with that insane idea?? That would be a quantum leap over current products.

If this is what you were expecting…then obviously you were never serious about a new computer…and this thread was just a joke!

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 MBP Retina 8gb ram 128 gb ssd
Haswell, Broadwell, I seem to be at a disadvantage being new to mac. I can't get with the lingo.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Haswell, Broadwell, I seem to be at a disadvantage being new to mac. I can't get with the lingo.

Technically the genesis of those terms has nothing specifically to do with Apple/Mac. They are code names of the CPU's designed, created, and manufactured by Intel.:)

Which are used in both Apple/Macintosh and Windows computers.

Google search on the subject = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadwell_(microarchitecture)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 MBP Retina 8gb ram 128 gb ssd
Ok, skimmed it. Interesting.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.