Should I switch from a LG G3 back to an iPhone 5s?

Reaction score
Hello everyone! New to the forum so I apologize if this is in the wrong section.

To start off I had been an iPhone user for about 4 years and still use an iPad, iMac and Macbook Pro for personal/business use. Over the Summer I needed cash fast and had to sell my beloved iPhone 5s (I used an older android phone in place of it which sucked!). So when it came time to buy a new phone I was more research conscious to the possibilities of switching to an Android. I still have unlimited data with Verizon and because I wasn't patient enough to wait another month for the iPhone 6, I went ahead an purchased the LG G3 which is still a great phone!

I really like the G3, especially its screen but the 5.5 inches is just way to big for my somewhat smaller hands. Mainly only an issue one handed, which I tend to try a lot but when Im texting one handed the phone sometimes gets too top heavy and falls out of my hand. Also the strain of reaching for things with my thumb one handed is even more annoying. Point blank my thumbs do not reach over the whole screen. I also realized that I make my customizable software look like iOS software. I have the same lock screen, use the same photos for backgrounds and my home screen is extremely similar looking to that on an iPhone. Sometimes a little buggy but never lags. Overall its a great phone with a good look to it.

What I miss about my 5s is the iOS software. I originally thought I was bored with it but when Im trying to make my Android look like an iPhone, somethings gotta give. The look and feel. With the 5s’s all metal body and durable light feel, I still think it is the prettiest phone. The G3 is sharp but iPhones are just sharper looking IMO. Touch ID was always a nice little bonus and the camera always worked really well!

What I’m struggling with is if I do switch back to a 5s am I going to miss the screen size too much or will I get used to it. After playing with the “6”, I found the 4.7inch display to be the perfect screen/phone size for me. I am not currently ready to invest in an iPhone 6 outright nor do I think it has vast improvements on the 5s except for size. Also I like the 6+ software more except for is 5.5inch display.

So has anyone downsized that significantly before and what were your thoughts.

Should I get the 5s and use it for about another year until the 6s, 7 or whatever Apple chooses to name the next iPhone comes out.

Or wait a couple more months, sell the G3 and just purchase a 6 (even though I think I would rather wait for the next iPhone upgrade)

Sorry for the long rant and but I appreciate the opinions and thoughts everyone!

C

chas_m

Your next-to-last line implies that you only have "a couple more months" on your current contract. If that's actually the case, you could wait that short period of time and sell it and get the iPhone 5s. If you can do that now without penalty (ie you're planning on staying with Verizon as you indicate you are), you could go ahead and do that.

Having Touch ID that actually works consistently is actually a VERY big deal I find -- I was planning to wait until the next round of iPad upgrades before moving up from my iPad 3 but the combination of how mandatory I find Touch ID on my 5s plus a good deal on selling my iPad 3 = new iPad Air 2 and I'm *loving* it.

The big advantage of the iPhone 6, apart from the usual (and significant) processor and camera improvements is its ability to use Apple Pay. I'm tied to my iPhone 5s until close to the release of the 2015 iPhone (iPhone 6s/6s Plus presumably?), but this works out fine for me as my US credit union doesn't yet support Apple Pay, but this feature is VERY high on my list of wants, so I'm getting an iPhone 6whatever as soon as I'm out of my current contract.

If you think you're going to make use of Apple Pay over the next year or two, then you'd want to get a 6. Having owned the 5.5inch G3, I should think you would get used to it easily, almost as much as the 5s. If you think you can wait up to two years for banks/merchants/everything to make wider use of Apple Pay, then you could go with the 5s in the meantime.

Reaction score
Being an ex iPhone user (had iphone 4 previously) and currently own both LG G2 and Samsung Note 3, here are my thoughts.
Unless you want or need to wait until your contract is up, why don't you sell the LG G3 and get the iPhone 6. You can still get a good buck for the G3, and the longer you wait the less it will be worth.

I am going from a 5.7" screen on my Note 3 to the 4.7" on the iP6. I kind of wish it were 5", but think I will be happier with 4.7" than 5.5". Aside from surfing the web and watching video, my Note 3's 5.7" screen makes for a very large phone to handle. Certainly it is not one you can use one handed. I've watched several YouTube videos on iP6 and lots comparing it to Android phones of varying sizes and I think I will be happy with it overall.

My reasons for switching are different. It boils down to ease of syncing, with the top priority being my pics being recognized and sync'd within iPhoto which is currently giving me headaches trying to do same with my Note 3.

Have you gone into a store and handled the two sizes of iPhone 6's? That might help you decide.

OP
S
Reaction score

Im actually month to month on Verizon so I could upgrade to the 6 anytime but that would mean losing my unlimited data with Verizon which I am not willing to do. When I was saying wait a couple months I was referring to my tax refund so I could just purchase the 6 outright. But I think I am going to do what you suggested. Sell the G3, purchase the 5s and wait another year for the 6s or 7 (Or whatever they decide to name it).

Ive been playing with friends 5s's and I think I would get used to the smaller screen, I never had one issue with it before so I'm sure I would be able to go back to that fairly easily.

Thanks for your input!

OP
S
Reaction score
Being an ex iPhone user (had iphone 4 previously) and currently own both LG G2 and Samsung Note 3, here are my thoughts.
Unless you want or need to wait until your contract is up, why don't you sell the LG G3 and get the iPhone 6. You can still get a good buck for the G3, and the longer you wait the less it will be worth.

I am going from a 5.7" screen on my Note 3 to the 4.7" on the iP6. I kind of wish it were 5", but think I will be happier with 4.7" than 5.5". Aside from surfing the web and watching video, my Note 3's 5.7" screen makes for a very large phone to handle. Certainly it is not one you can use one handed. I've watched several YouTube videos on iP6 and lots comparing it to Android phones of varying sizes and I think I will be happy with it overall.

My reasons for switching are different. It boils down to ease of syncing, with the top priority being my pics being recognized and sync'd within iPhoto which is currently giving me headaches trying to do same with my Note 3.

Have you gone into a store and handled the two sizes of iPhone 6's? That might help you decide.

If I were to sell the G3 I could maybe get $400 max which is enough to get a mint 5s 16-32gb. I dont really have an extra $300 to throw in for a new 6 (holiday time) and would probably want to wait for the next one anyways if its anything like the 5 was to the 5s.

I have played with them and I do think that 4.7-5in is the perfect screen size for me personally and for my hands.

Thanks for the input!

Reaction score
The LG G3 has the smallest overall body dimensions of any 5.5" screen phone and the iPhone 6 Plus has the largest. There is quite a bit of difference between the two in terms of ergonomics so going to the 6 Plus is not a level switch. While you would probably miss the comfort of reading from a 5.5" screen moving down to a 4.7", I don't think it would be as hard as going all the way down to a 4.0" screen. 4 inch screen phones all look like toys once you adjust to a phablet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.