Should I install the new iTunes version?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac High Sierra Mac OS 10.13.6
Hi,

This may be in the wrong category for this thread - should it be in apps and games, not sure? Please move it to the best place, if necessary.

I have an older MacBook (identifier 3,1). Earlier this year, I upgraded the memory and operating system as far as my hardware of this machine was capable of. I now run OSX 10.7.5 and am quite happy with this.

I've been getting messages from Apple to upgrade my iTunes program to the fairly new version 12.0.1. I am now using iTunes 11.4 (18). Normally, I would just do this but I have a question first:

With another Apple product I have (iPod Touch - 2nd generation), I was unable, after awhile, to upgrade the iOS software due to the limitations of the 2nd gen iPod Touch hardware. If I upgraded the apps I was using, they would start to work less and less well on my iPod Touch because they were meant to be optimized for the latest iOS system, which I was unable to run.

I'm wondering if I download the latest iTunes version, which is probably optimized for Yosemite operating system, will the iTunes program start to work less and less well on my OSX 10.7.5 machine? Am I better off just using the iTunes version I have now (iTunes 11.4) or will the new version work better on this older MacBook and give me more desirable features? I guess there might be a point sometime where newer software versions work less well on older Macs, but have we reached that point yet? Will there be a benefit in using iTunes 12.0.1 for me on my older MacBook or should I just stick with what I have now?

Thank you, sorry I'm not more computer-smart,

Bob M.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Thread moved - it indeed belongs in the Apps and Games category..

Yes, as you upgrade your versions of iTunes, it will require newer versions of iOS to communicate with and vice-versa. If your current version of iTunes is working with your iPod, I would leave things be and not mess with it..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Stick with iTunes 11.4 until Apple does more work on iTunes 12. In my opinion, they need to go back to the drawing board on iTunes 12. Lots of complaints about it in all the forums. Don't update until they do "repairs". If yours is not broke, don't fix it. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
+1!!! Another vote to avoid installing iTunes 12!! Especially for older OS X versions!!!

If anyone can tell me how to get rid of the stupid red update badge from the App Store running Mavericks, I'd sure appreciate it. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
Another vote for staying with 11.4 - I'm running Mavericks 10.9.5 and have actually gone back to iTunes 11.4 after upgrading to v.12 ... not a straightforward process, I might add.

@pm-r - you can select "hide this update" or something to that effect, in the list of available updates, and the red number thingy will disappear (you might need to quit and restart).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another vote for staying with 11.4 - I'm running Mavericks 10.9.5 and have actually gone back to iTunes 11.4 after upgrading to v.12 ... not a straightforward process, I might add.

@pm-r - you can select "hide this update" or something to that effect, in the list of available updates, and the red number thingy will disappear (you might need to quit and restart).

Thanks Dvid, but I've tried that and several suggestions using the option key, but the stupid &%&$# red #badge remains (for iTunes 12).

I thought I was smart by removing the App Store from my Dock so I didn't have to see the stupid reminder which worked - until I started to get %$#&% Notifications!! Ahhhhghhhh!!! But I finally got them stopped.

Why on earth they removed the "do not show" option we had with SL 10.6.8 I don't know. Another of Apple's "New and Improved" stuff I guess, but I digress… so back to the subject.

C

chas_m

For the record, I think iTunes 12 is the biggest improvement in iTunes in possibly as long as a decade. Beautiful design, excellent functionality.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
Thanks Dvid, but I've tried that and several suggestions using the option key, but the stupid &%&$# red #badge remains (for iTunes 12).

That's unfortunate, it certainly worked on my system (10.9.5), after I went through the whole "remove and clean-up" with v.12 ... :\

The v.12 update was paired with system/security update, once I separated them, I was able to mark iTunes update, and it hasn't come back ... yet ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's unfortunate, it certainly worked on my system (10.9.5), after I went through the whole "remove and clean-up" with v.12 ... :\

The v.12 update was paired with system/security update, once I separated them, I was able to mark iTunes update, and it hasn't come back ... yet ;)

My guess is that worked for you because I gather you actually did download the iTunes 12 version, and then removed it.

I had a snoop look and the iTunes "update" seems to have all kinds of files associated with it and too many to fool around with.

I'll just keep the App Store off my Dock, and the badge doesn't show when it's in its Applications folder, and I think I got the annoying Notifications stopped.

Apple's attitude and direction lately - for the last few years in fact - is really starting to P.. me off!! Why remove the option to not show I had with SL 10.6.8??? Gheese!!

Anyway, thanks for your info.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.