Should I exchange my new MacBook Air?

Reaction score
I purchased a new 11 inch Mac Book Air on March 4th. On March 9th Apple released a new Mac Book Air with a faster processor and upgraded graphics. I'm still in the 14 day window to exchange the Mac Book, but is it really worth it? Will I see an appreciable difference? I finally have the Mac Book set up the way I like it. What do you guys and gals think? Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm still in the 14 day window to exchange the Mac Book, but is it really worth it? Will I see an appreciable difference? I finally have the Mac Book set up the way I like it. What do you guys and gals think?

In depth professional reviews haven't been released yet (or could be any day now)...since the new models were announced only 2 days ago.

If you're bumping up against a 14 day return window…and have concerns…return it. This is the best we (or at least I) can advise at this point.

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I agree with Nick, return it. Also, a quick review of the HD 6000 GPU that the new MBA uses is available on line. It's about 25% faster than the older model. Nothing yet (as Nick pointed out) regarding speed and other specs.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Just checked…and pricing on 2014 11" MacBook Air's and the new 2015 MacBook Air's is the same ($899 and $1099).

So if the Intel HD 6000 graphics hardware is 25% faster the previous Intel graphics hardware (as chscag mentioned). If that translates to 25% better graphics performance on the new 2015 11" MBA (or even 15-20%) faster…that would be enough justification for me to return the 2014 MBA and get the 2015 MBA!:)

Why not…same price!:) Assuming there are no serious negatives to the 2015 11" MBA.

Plus there could be other improvements as well that reviewers with help us out with.:)

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice! I thought I would just keep the early 2014 Mac Book Air, but the more I thought about it the more I wanted to exchange it. I took it back and Apple exchanged it no questions asked! I haven't seen any appreciable difference but it's the peace of mind knowing that I have the latest Mac Book Air made it worth it! Thanks again!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Good move. I guaranty that you will see a nice increase in graphics speed when playing certain games or rendering. The HD 6000 will produce a 25% increase in the average frame rate for most games. Anyway, it's always nice to have the latest model. ;)

C

chas_m

If you stuck with the 11-inch model, then there's really no significant update in the newer model other than the slightly-improved graphics. It is, essentially, the same machine as before (just more energy efficient, which means you might get an extra hour of battery life).

The 13-inch MBA, on the other hand, got very notably upgraded to the new, faster (100 percent faster!) flash storage, which features a 1.3GB/sec read speed (that's right, GB not Gb). Also, the battery on the 13-inch is rated for 12 hours (!) compared to the 11-incher's "mere" nine hours.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.