Should I buy it NOW !!?

Joined
Mar 30, 2007
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Points
1
Hi..

I'm a new member here and I'll be a new user of mac soon..!

i just want to ask if should i buy Mac Book Pro now with Tiger OS, and then when Leopard is released I'll just upgrade it !?

or

Wait till June to buy the Mac Book Pro with Leopard in it !!?

and do u guyz think that the shape/style of the mac book pro will be changed when leopard released ? or it will stay with the same style !?

am really confused and dont know what to do ..!!

any help plz !?


Regards,
Imad Hasan.
 
Joined
Nov 25, 2006
Messages
199
Reaction score
8
Points
18
There are alot of people saying the MBP is due for a rev change, but those are just rumors. Apple has planned a "special event" at NAB on April 15th, but no one really knows what if any things will change. There are many that say leopard is still "very much in a beta mode".
 
Joined
Nov 18, 2006
Messages
4,934
Reaction score
207
Points
63
Location
Anytown, USA
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
If they deliver Leopard in spring season, as is supposed to happen, you will get a free upgrade. However, things aren't looking good and those who scoffed at Microsoft for delays in Vista will be eating crow. The funny things is Vista is being blamed for the Leopard delay. Who knows what the real story is. Let's just hop it comes out on time.
 
OP
I
Joined
Mar 30, 2007
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Points
1
thank you guyz .. :)

the thing is i dont want to buy it now and then after just 3 months a new look of MBP will be in the market ..!!
so its better to wait .. i guess !!

but am also afraid that in June the price will go very high !!

thats why am confused, i got a good price for it now .. and am afraid that if i wait till June and after Leopard comes, the prices will be very expensive to me :(


so .. again .. what should i do !? :D:p
 
Joined
Nov 2, 2006
Messages
663
Reaction score
31
Points
28
Location
Bournville, UK
Only you can decide. The Macbook Pro isn't that old, and is a stunning machine. With Apple, something new is never too far off, and new things can sometimes bring problems.

I still say buy it now. You'll be hard-pressed to find any negative comments on the MBP.
 
Joined
Jan 11, 2007
Messages
69
Reaction score
2
Points
8
After owning a IBM Lenovo, the Rolls Royce of PC laptops,
I traded it in for my first MacbookPro.

Just received it this week. I'm in love! This laptop outshines
the very best PC laptop.

You will not regret the purchase.
 
Joined
Feb 2, 2007
Messages
130
Reaction score
6
Points
18
It's a popular dilemna for many people.
A case can be made for either option. I decided to wait after I solved a minor issue with my current laptop's HD. I don't NEED the MBP right away, so I'll wait a bit longer for Leopard and see if there's an upgrade.

I'm sure you won't regret buying now though. It's not easy putting off buying that new Mac. I swear I think they whisper to you, "Buy me! Buuyyyyy meeee!!!"
 
Joined
Apr 29, 2006
Messages
4,560
Reaction score
366
Points
83
Location
St. Somewhere
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM
Here are my thoughts on this frequently asked question: to summarize though, I would wait if you can, for the simple reason of dollars. Let me explain:

Firstly, you shouldn't have too much longer to wait. Leopard has been planned for release in the first half of 2007. There are only three months of that half left, so the maximum wait *should* be about three months, and possibly less. That is not that long to wait. Admitedly, there are no guarantees that Leopard will be released in that time frame, but it is a good bet. I wouldn't be surprised to see it released any day now. I am rather surprised that it is not out already actually.

Secondly, remember that if you get a machine now with Tiger on it, and you want Leopard when it comes out, you have to buy the upgrade. I am guessing, based on past experience, that this will be about $130. So you will be out an extra $130.00 right off the bat. You also need to consider the time and effort it takes to install the new OS. This is not huge, but depending on your level of comfort with doing this sort of thing, having it come pre loaded could be quite a benefit.

Finally, and this is just a guess on my behalf, I am suspecting that iLife 07 will come along for the ride on new Macs sporting Leopard. This is just a guess, but a reasoned one. If this is the case, waiting for Leopard before buying the new Mac makes quite a bit of sense, since I have heard that, for example, when you buy Tiger, you don't get iLife 06 included - you have to buy it separately. Thus, waiting for Leopard before buying may save you not just the $130 for the OS upgrade, but also the $xx.xx (not sure what the price will be) for the iLife upgrade.

For myself, I am waiting to buy a new MacBook Pro until Leopard comes out, for all these reasons. I realize that this means that I may have to wait for a few months, but I see it as worth it.

In the end, this is a VERY personal call. How badly do you want a new Mac? Getting the Mac now, with Tiger, is not a bad move. We are all of us, by definition, currently using Macs with Tiger on them, and we are all generally very happy with them. There are some perhaps tangible benefits to waiting for Leopard, but these must be weighed against the benefit of having your shiny new Mac right now! As I said, a very personal weighing of priorities is in order I think.
 
Joined
Jul 7, 2005
Messages
604
Reaction score
39
Points
28
Location
North Boston, NY
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
I waited, mostly for reasons Mac57 brings up...but ended up ordering due to it becoming more of a need than a want.

Will end up spending the extra cash on the iLife and Leopard upgrades eventually, but have gotten by without them for awhile now and will now be in no hurry to purchase them when released.
 
Joined
Apr 3, 2007
Messages
94
Reaction score
1
Points
8
Location
Montreal
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15.4 core2duo 2.16 2gb
Here are my thoughts on this frequently asked question: to summarize though, I would wait if you can, for the simple reason of dollars. Let me explain:

Firstly, you shouldn't have too much longer to wait. Leopard has been planned for release in the first half of 2007. There are only three months of that half left, so the maximum wait *should* be about three months, and possibly less. That is not that long to wait. Admitedly, there are no guarantees that Leopard will be released in that time frame, but it is a good bet. I wouldn't be surprised to see it released any day now. I am rather surprised that it is not out already actually.

Secondly, remember that if you get a machine now with Tiger on it, and you want Leopard when it comes out, you have to buy the upgrade. I am guessing, based on past experience, that this will be about $130. So you will be out an extra $130.00 right off the bat. You also need to consider the time and effort it takes to install the new OS. This is not huge, but depending on your level of comfort with doing this sort of thing, having it come pre loaded could be quite a benefit.

Finally, and this is just a guess on my behalf, I am suspecting that iLife 07 will come along for the ride on new Macs sporting Leopard. This is just a guess, but a reasoned one. If this is the case, waiting for Leopard before buying the new Mac makes quite a bit of sense, since I have heard that, for example, when you buy Tiger, you don't get iLife 06 included - you have to buy it separately. Thus, waiting for Leopard before buying may save you not just the $130 for the OS upgrade, but also the $xx.xx (not sure what the price will be) for the iLife upgrade.

For myself, I am waiting to buy a new MacBook Pro until Leopard comes out, for all these reasons. I realize that this means that I may have to wait for a few months, but I see it as worth it.

In the end, this is a VERY personal call. How badly do you want a new Mac? Getting the Mac now, with Tiger, is not a bad move. We are all of us, by definition, currently using Macs with Tiger on them, and we are all generally very happy with them. There are some perhaps tangible benefits to waiting for Leopard, but these must be weighed against the benefit of having your shiny new Mac right now! As I said, a very personal weighing of priorities is in order I think.

very interesting post, im thinking of buying a new mac, infact i just realized that i posted in the wrong forum, so what ur saying is that we shouldnt buy it for software reasons? no real hardware changes? cuz i found a pretty sweet deal, a 15" mac book pro, core 2 duo 2.16 1gb ram for 2298 canadian dollars, tax in. is this a good deal? should i go ahead and buy it? i dont realy mind ill update later when leopard comes out.

i just wanna know if apple are going to release an upgraded macbook pro? with a quad core or something?

thanx
 

bobtomay

,
Retired Staff
Joined
Dec 22, 2006
Messages
26,561
Reaction score
677
Points
113
Location
Texas, where else?
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
very interesting post, im thinking of buying a new mac, infact i just realized that i posted in the wrong forum, so what ur saying is that we shouldnt buy it for software reasons? no real hardware changes? cuz i found a pretty sweet deal, a 15" mac book pro, core 2 duo 2.16 1gb ram for 2298 canadian dollars, tax in. is this a good deal? should i go ahead and buy it? i dont realy mind ill update later when leopard comes out.

i just wanna know if apple are going to release an upgraded macbook pro? with a quad core or something?

thanx

Personally see any type of hardware upgrade as unlikely. The MBP already has the fastest mobile processor currently being made. They could maybe put an X1900 in it, but the X1600 with 256MB vram has run everything I've thrown at it without any lag or dropped frames so far.
It already has FW 800, it has wireless n capability. The DVD burner could definitely be upgraded, but is plenty adequate for a notebook. The hard drive could move to a 7200 rpm and we'd have to deal with a little more heat. I just don't see any type of hardware upgrades that make any real sense for the MBP. It already has better specs at the same price point than most of the competition. I certainly wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a quad core in a notebook.

I guess they could change the appearance??, but it's one sexy looking machine already. Apple could have some secret up their sleeve, but just don't see any kind of major hardware upgrade they could make at this time that would A) make it worth waiting for and B) not drive up the price.

If you're in need of a notebook now, don't see any reason for waiting. If you don't need one now, mac57 has already presented sound advice about waiting for the release of Leopard.
 
Joined
Apr 4, 2007
Messages
34
Reaction score
0
Points
6
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.33Ghz 2 Gig Ram 120GB HD
I too have fallen into the debate. I'm wanting one (MBP that is) to return to school starting on May 22nd, so prior to that the only thing I'd be doing with the mac is familiarizing myself with it. Should I just put aside my "kid in a candy store" desires when I'm looking at them and unleash them once the picture is a little more clear? I'm guessing that Leopard should be out by that time and if not I'd have no more excuses for waiting! And a little advice too while I'm waiting... for the 300 bucks is it worth it to upgrade from the 15.4" to the 17" MBP? Pros/Cons anyone? Thanks
 
Joined
Feb 2, 2007
Messages
130
Reaction score
6
Points
18
It's worth it if the extra screen space is important to you and if you're not going to travel with it too much. It's definitely a bit larger to be hauling around. Of course, there are some performance benchmarks that show the 17" model actually being a tad slower than the 15" on some apps (not sure why).

If you can afford it and you're not going to haul it around all the time, go for it.

I'm one of those folks who has been waiting. My current laptop works just fine after recent HD replacement, I'd love to just have Leopard right off the bat rather than upgrade later, I could pay off a few more bills in the interim by waiting, MAYBE there would be an upgrade on the MBP line (even a minor one). I could just get one now, but since I don't NEED it, I'm ok waiting just a bit longer. It's hard to resist just jumping on one, but I'm able to resist the temptation for now.
 
Joined
Mar 21, 2007
Messages
134
Reaction score
0
Points
16
Location
London
excuse the ignorance, (PC user for 15+ years until last week) but everyone is making a fuss about Leopard and iLife '07. Surely you can just download it/get a serial for when it comes out? No need to buiy it?
 

Shop Amazon


Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Top