should I buy an eMac?

A

AstralZenith

I'm going to college this fall, and I need to buy a computer...

should I wait to see what the new iMacs are gona have? or just get the eMac considering I'm not going to spend much over $1000 anyway?

OP
M

MoltenLava

If your budget can stretch to $1500, it may be worthwhile wait and see the new price for the iMacs. Since the LCD price is steadily falling, they _may_ introduce 17" LCD model for around $1500. But then again, it's not likely the new models will be introduced with lower price than the previous models, so I wouldn't hold the breath too long. Even if they don't lower the price on the new models, the current generation iMacs will become old models when the new ones come out, and they will get a nice price cut, so you might still be able to get a 17" LCD iMac for $1500.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I believe the rumor is a 17in and a 20in all in one iMac. Which amy have been delayed again due to IBM production problems.

OP
P

pedXing

Well, since you are going into college, have you considered an iBook? they have some great value and good deals...(well, if you are willing to spend the money, mabe even a 12'' pb) :)

OP
A

AstralZenith

pedXing said:
Well, since you are going into college, have you considered an iBook? they have some great value and good deals...(well, if you are willing to spend the money, mabe even a 12'' pb) :)

good point, but I define tight-wad :/

I'm just afraid of buying an eMac now and have it be obsolete in a few years... and since the iMacs will be out soon there may be an affordable (but again, I'm pretty cheap) G5

OP
A

Anna

Perhaps you could even wait a bit until they release G5 eMacs?

I can't see it taking TOO long :eek:

OP
V

VastDeathmaster

AstralZenith said:
good point, but I define tight-wad :/

I'm just afraid of buying an eMac now and have it be obsolete in a few years... and since the iMacs will be out soon there may be an affordable (but again, I'm pretty cheap) G5

All computers will be obsolete in a few years. It's the way things are. What kind of computer do you have now?

the eMac is great if you are not big on games. It's really heavy, so it won't be falling off your desk like in the Dell ads.

The laptop is a great idea until the battery starts to wear out and then you begin to hunt for places to plug it in. At an Apple Store, I got the $799 version with the additional Base about $60 with tax (Michigan) it came out to $909

Oh, about the current iLamp vs the new G5 TiLamp ;) you may find the old one for less than a grand, but only on the web. The brick and mortar stores will still sell the iLamps for $1700 or so.

OP
A

AstralZenith

VastDeathmaster said:
All computers will be obsolete in a few years. It's the way things are. What kind of computer do you have now?

I've got a 733 G4...

I computers become outdated the minute you buy one, but look at the first G4's they still have life in them, so Id rather get a first G5 than the last G4.

I think I'm in debate right now of brining my parents old bondi blue iMac 233 and just saving myself $1000. Then I can always use the G5's that are on campus ;)

Or..

waiting to see what the new "iLamps" :D are like. cause what is money anyway?

OP
M

MoltenLava

AstralZenith said:
I computers become outdated the minute you buy one, but look at the first G4's they still have life in them, so Id rather get a first G5 than the last G4.

The last rainbow iMac was 700MHz G3. The first G4 PowerMac was 350MHz. I don't know where you get ideas about G3 becoming more outdated than the first PowerMac. That iMac is about twice as fast as 350MHz Sawtooth in real world applications.

OP
A

AstralZenith

MoltenLava said:
The last rainbow iMac was 700MHz G3. The first G4 PowerMac was 350MHz. I don't know where you get ideas about G3 becoming more outdated than the first PowerMac. That iMac is about twice as fast as 350MHz Sawtooth in real world applications.

because applications (development, graphic and games for that matter) quickly required a G4.

sure it may have ran faster, but if you bought a G3 iMac when the G4's were introduced you'll have to look back for software to run, not forward.

OP
M

MoltenLava

You've gotta change your incorrect perception. There is no software that requires a G4. You seem to have an impression that when a new hardware comes out all the new softwares will require that hardware. It's simply incorrect.

What you need to focus on is finding best value for the buck. Sure, everyone would want a G5. But at what price point? What'll bring you the best performance and at the same time do not break your bank?

OP
A

AstralZenith

MoltenLava said:
You've gotta change your incorrect perception. There is no software that requires a G4. You seem to have an impression that when a new hardware comes out all the new softwares will require that hardware. It's simply incorrect.

so shake (and in the case below: lightwave 8) isn't software?

The Newtek Website (Requirements) said:
Macintosh:
System configuration: G4 or higher (G5 recommended)
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.3.3 (Panther)

but you got a point, not EVERY thing is outdated and I do need the best value.

are you suggesting that a 1.25 GHZ G4 eMac will be close to the "new" G5's?

OP
P

PinkPhishDoors

NO!!! the G5s are SO much better then G4s basicly only because of their Front side bus... I have a feeling that the iMacs and eMacs will be "READY" at the same time... but because the eMac is not a big seller.. that apple will probably not release it until they are out of G4 models. What college are you going to... they have G5s already :O

OP
I

Icarus

the only purpose for a G5 is if you are doing crazy editing. Otherwise, a g4 will suit you just fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
"There is no software that requires a G4."

Actually doesn't even iDVD require a G4?

I would also just get an iBook and forget about the whole G5 discussion for the time being...

OP
A

AstralZenith

Aptmunich said:
I would also just get an iBook and forget about the whole G5 discussion for the time being

laptops get stolen, and if i brought it to class i'd just play games all day...

any word on G5 eMacs soon?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.