Shift click to select not like windows

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook (refurb), 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo, 2 GB Memory, 60GB HDD
I've done some basic research on this and couldn't find anything on this.

In windows, when you shift click on a folder, it will highlight all items up to that shift from your original clicked folder/item.

But in os x, shift just adds that one folder to highlight....

I noticed that in list view, the shift function works fine. But in thumbnail view, it doesn't work at all.

How can i get the same function in thumbnail view?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Looks like that's one of those 'this is one of those ways Finder is different from Explorer' kind of things. I've never thought to do shift-click to select up to a certain number of items when in icon (thumbnail) view. Even in Windows I've always done that by click/drag to highlight the subset of items in a window, including in OS X Finder.

Plus Finder has this little quirky habit of sometimes putting items to the right out of sight until you drag the 'highlighter' thing off the side. Pretty sure that's one of those things that some Mac users (old and new) dislike about Finder. The random putting of things out of sight thing, that is; not the click/drag to highlight a subset thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Hi StevenH, thanks for noting that it DOES work in list view. I will have to try that. I was just looking for a workaround to this very problem last night. Thanks for the tip!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
I think that the "shift = select all to here" function doesn't work in thumbnail view for safety purposes. Since thumbnails can be out of view, and there's no telling what method you have your thumbnail view sorted by (name, date modified, etc). As has already been mentioned, shift-selecting works in list view, and I actually think that would be the safer route for selecting a larger number of files at once...say for deleting or whatnot.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook (refurb), 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo, 2 GB Memory, 60GB HDD
I think that the "shift = select all to here" function doesn't work in thumbnail view for safety purposes. Since thumbnails can be out of view, and there's no telling what method you have your thumbnail view sorted by (name, date modified, etc). As has already been mentioned, shift-selecting works in list view, and I actually think that would be the safer route for selecting a larger number of files at once...say for deleting or whatnot.

Great reply snoslicer8, that is probably the reason.

Oh well, I guess I'll just change my habits to.....Switch to list view using Cmd + 3 (or mouse), then shift click my heart away.

Thanks anyway.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.