Sharing screen, keyboard, mouse with mac minis 2014

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2014 OS Sierra, Ipad 6th gen. IOS 14.4.2, Mac Pro 1.1 Dual Core OSX 10.6.8
I recently added another mac mini, 2014. I have limited space. Is it possible to share these with each other? Is there a work around?

Thank you.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I did this for a while with a laptop and a Mac Pro. I got tired going room to room to check on apps running on the Mac Pro. I finally set up screen sharing and allowed the laptop to control things on the Mac Pro. When set up correctly I could look at the Mac Pro screen in a window on the laptop and clicking in that window mouse and keyboard activity was directed to the Mac Pro.

OP
Faqua
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2014 OS Sierra, Ipad 6th gen. IOS 14.4.2, Mac Pro 1.1 Dual Core OSX 10.6.8
Thank you Slydude,
I watched the video. Very informative. Don't have another monitor or keyboard but do have another mouse. Will that matter with the sharing?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If you have a single set of monitor, keyboard, mouse and want to share with two computers, get a KVM.

My current setup:
  • 2x Viewsonic 27" monitors
  • Logitech MX Keys keboard
  • Logitech MX Master mouse
  • JLab Microphone
  • Logitech C920 webcam
My Computers:
  • Mac Studio
  • MBP
KVM & Hub:
The video cables go directly between the Mac Studio and KVM since I bought the appropriate ones. For the MBP, I use the Hub to give you the option to unplug and walk away with the laptop.

I have my microphone and webcam plugged into the USB hub and into the KVM and then into the computers, so that it can be shared with both of them.

I used to use the Magic keyboard and trackpad, but those only connect to a single computer at a time and that wouldn't work here. If you have a set of wired keyboard and mouse, the KVM will support that. Since I didn't want to go wired, I went with the Logitech keyboard and mouse that support pairing with up 3 computers at a time and with a quick button press I can switch between the computers.

OP
Faqua
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you Razor,
I have a wired keyboard and 2 magic mice. Haven't visited the website yet. Is the KVM a big deal to connect? My work area is limited which is why I am trying to use only the one screen and keyboard.

OP
Faqua
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you have a single set of monitor, keyboard, mouse and want to share with two computers, get a KVM.

My current setup:
  • 2x Viewsonic 27" monitors
  • Logitech MX Keys keboard
  • Logitech MX Master mouse
  • JLab Microphone
  • Logitech C920 webcam
My Computers:
  • Mac Studio
  • MBP
KVM & Hub:
The video cables go directly between the Mac Studio and KVM since I bought the appropriate ones. For the MBP, I use the Hub to give you the option to unplug and walk away with the laptop.

I have my microphone and webcam plugged into the USB hub and into the KVM and then into the computers, so that it can be shared with both of them.

I used to use the Magic keyboard and trackpad, but those only connect to a single computer at a time and that wouldn't work here. If you have a set of wired keyboard and mouse, the KVM will support that. Since I didn't want to go wired, I went with the Logitech keyboard and mouse that support pairing with up 3 computers at a time and with a quick button press I can switch between the computers.
Just checked those sites. Too much $$ for this old man. Looking for an "alternate plan B"...

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Thank you Razor,
I have a wired keyboard and 2 magic mice. Haven't visited the website yet. Is the KVM a big deal to connect? My work area is limited which is why I am trying to use only the one screen and keyboard.
Without a KVM, you'll have to manually swap cables constantly. A KVM (Keyboard Video Mouse) makes that automatic.

Do your research to see what other products will fit your budget/needs.

If you only have a single screen to share, look for a 1-screen KVM which is cheaper. You don't need the Hub since you'll just have a HDMI cable going to each Mac Mini and 2 USB cables (for keyboard and mouse).

The Magic Mouse won't work in this situation, you'll have to get a wired mouse.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thank you Slydude,
I watched the video. Very informative. Don't have another monitor or keyboard but do have another mouse. Will that matter with the sharing?
Before you invest any money in extra gear try the screen sharing suggestion.

I haven't done this in over a decade but IIRC I used one keyboard and mouse to control both systems. The computer being controlled appears in a window on the "main" computer. When you want to control the secondary computer click inside the window.

Setting this up requires making a few changes in addition to screen sharing. I think remote management, and remote Apple events both need to be on.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.