Sharing Parrallels partition with Bootcamp

Reaction score
I am using Parrallels for the occasional times i need to access Windows XP. HOwever i recently got a copy of a game and want to set xp up in bootcamp. I'd rather not have a seperate install of xp just for that. Is it possible to set bootcamp up and let it use the same partition thats used in Parrellels? How would i do that?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I am using Parrallels for the occasional times i need to access Windows XP. HOwever i recently got a copy of a game and want to set xp up in bootcamp. I'd rather not have a seperate install of xp just for that. Is it possible to set bootcamp up and let it use the same partition thats used in Parrellels? How would i do that?

You can share a Windows XP partition between Parallels and Bootcamp, however, you must create the Windows XP partition using Bootcamp first. By default, Parallels creates a "virtual hard disk" file that acts as your XP partition during the XP installation process. This file is stored on your OS X partition and is not accessible from Bootcamp.

When you install Bootcamp, the Bootcamp assistant literally splits your existing disk structure into two actual partitions. Parallels is capable of accessing that partition instead of using a virtual hard disk file.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for that....if the HD is split, will i still be able to see my OSX file from within Parrallels using shared files folder? Are there any adverse effects of setting it up this way as opposed to a straight Parallels install?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, you'll still be able to use the shared folders when running XP via Parallels. The biggest problem is that the size of your Windows XP partition will now be fixed, so it can't grow as you add files and data to your XP partition. It will also need to consume more space on your drive. By default Parallels creates a smaller hard disk file that is dynamic in nature. In this manner, you don't have to take 30GB from the OS X partition right off the bat. Instead, it will simply grow the file as needs dictate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB RAM, 22" Samsung WS monitor, Apple Bluetooth KB & Mighty Mouse, Airport Extreme BS
So does this mean you will get into an even bigger problem if you want to install Bootcamp later on after Parallels? The Bootcamp real partition will be different than the Parallels virtual one, so you will still need that 30GB (or whatever) and a 2nd install of XP?

What I'm trying to determine is that if you think you might need both, it is better to install Bootcamp first and then Parallels? And you need still need two installs of XP?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So does this mean you will get into an even bigger problem if you want to install Bootcamp later on after Parallels? The Bootcamp real partition will be different than the Parallels virtual one, so you will still need that 30GB (or whatever) and a 2nd install of XP?

What I'm trying to determine is that if you think you might need both, it is better to install Bootcamp first and then Parallels? And you need still need two installs of XP?

Bootcamp can't read Parallels partitions, but Parallels can read both Bootcamp and Parallels partitions. So, the best course of action would be to kill off your existing Parallels installation of XP, install and configure Bootcamp and install XP under Bootcamp. Then, set up a new virtual machine with Parallels and tell it to use the exisitng Bootcamp partition.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.