Sharing internet connection?

C

chronogoof89

Hi. I have a 15in 1.25ghz Powerbook g4. I connect to the internet using a cable modem + a Cat5 cable. (it has USB support too and that works also). The other computer in my house is, LOL, a 100mhz Dell Laptop. My mom uses it for surfing since our Gateway tower died. I have heard several references from people on this board that they run their other computers THROUGH their Mac's to access the internet. Is there a way to do this? The Dell obviously has a network card (not built in). I was thinking, would it be possible to run the USB from the modem to my PB, and then Cat5 between the PB and the Dell - and then both comps couldl use the internet simultaneously? Please help me! I'm tired of having to power-cycle the modem everytime I come in to go on the web and my mom has been using the Dell.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
Compusa has the D-Link DI-604 4-Port Ethernet Broadband Router for $9.99 after rebate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
chronogoof89 said:
Hi. I have a 15in 1.25ghz Powerbook g4. I connect to the internet using a cable modem + a Cat5 cable. (it has USB support too and that works also). The other computer in my house is, LOL, a 100mhz Dell Laptop. My mom uses it for surfing since our Gateway tower died. I have heard several references from people on this board that they run their other computers THROUGH their Mac's to access the internet. Is there a way to do this? The Dell obviously has a network card (not built in). I was thinking, would it be possible to run the USB from the modem to my PB, and then Cat5 between the PB and the Dell - and then both comps couldl use the internet simultaneously? Please help me! I'm tired of having to power-cycle the modem everytime I come in to go on the web and my mom has been using the Dell.

I've never tried connecting to a cable modem via USB, but assuming you try it and the PB can connect that way (it sounds like you've already been able to connect with the USB), you can certainly run an Ethernet cable from the Mac to your Dell and it will work just fine. No router would be necessary.

OP
C

chronogoof89

Padawan said:
I've never tried connecting to a cable modem via USB, but assuming you try it and the PB can connect that way (it sounds like you've already been able to connect with the USB), you can certainly run an Ethernet cable from the Mac to your Dell and it will work just fine. No router would be necessary.

Yeah, I connected fine with USB. I dunno if its slower, but I didn't notice anything... I used to have to connect my Windows 98 PC with USB. It sucked. It would take HOURS to get the drivers and modem to work right. I usually gave up and called tech support to walk me through it, and I always did it right like they said. They'd usually walk me through it like 5 or 6 times and it would finally work.

With the Mac I plugged it in and it came right up recognizing the modem by name (Surfboard 4100)... LOL I love it... I've tried to have the Mac on USB and the Dell on Cat5 from the Mac, but it doesn't work. Are there any settings I may need to adjust on the Mac side. The PC shouldn't care where the connection is coming through. I'm basically trying to get the Mac to act like a router and still be able to connect at the same time.
Yes, I know I could get a router for $10. I work at Office Depot. I'm cheap, I'm going to college soon (WiFi saturated dorm...!) and I don't feel like spending $10 to keep me from power cycling the modem for 2 weeks. If I can do it for free though, and also amaze people with the awesome connectivity of the Mac, I will.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
chronogoof89 said:
With the Mac I plugged it in and it came right up recognizing the modem by name (Surfboard 4100)... LOL I love it... I've tried to have the Mac on USB and the Dell on Cat5 from the Mac, but it doesn't work. Are there any settings I may need to adjust on the Mac side. The PC shouldn't care where the connection is coming through. I'm basically trying to get the Mac to act like a router and still be able to connect at the same time.

Go to System Preferences, then click on Sharing. There should be a tab labeled Internet, and clicking on that tab should give you the option of enabling internet sharing.

OP
C

chronogoof89

Padawan said:
Go to System Preferences, then click on Sharing. There should be a tab labeled Internet, and clicking on that tab should give you the option of enabling internet sharing.

Yeah, I tried that. I allowed it to share the en2 Ethernet adapter (which is the USB, that's what it lists I'm using to connect when I use the USB). I allowed it to share this connection over the built in Ethernet Card. Didn't work. Its probably an issue on the PC end, and I don't feel like dealing with that, unless you have any suggestions?!

OP
P

pedrothekevin

Wouldn't he need a crossover ethernet cable connecting the two computers?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Still believe that you have to have a router to allow both computers to have access to the internet. The cable modem doesn't know how to "route" the traffic.

As far as the crossover cable your powerbook doesn't need one because it has Auto-Medium Dependent Interface Crossover (Auto-MDIX). It will sense the connection and act like a crossover if need be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I stand corrected!

It seems that in OS X you can use your Mac as the "router" via system preference settings. Of course you would always have to have the host computer on.

I would still go with the $10 router.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
pedrothekevin said:
Wouldn't he need a crossover ethernet cable connecting the two computers?

No, the internal Gigabit LAN connector has auto sensing technology means, you can use a standard Cat 5 for 10/100 Mbit connections but you MUST have a Cat 6 for 1Gbit networking. The additional shielding is required for hi-speed networking.

Hope this helps. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
chronogoof89 said:
Yeah, I tried that. I allowed it to share the en2 Ethernet adapter (which is the USB, that's what it lists I'm using to connect when I use the USB). I allowed it to share this connection over the built in Ethernet Card. Didn't work. Its probably an issue on the PC end, and I don't feel like dealing with that, unless you have any suggestions?!

Do you have OS X's firewall switched on? The controls are located in the same "Sharing" menu, under the Firewall tab. The internet sharing won't work if the firewall is on, so you'll have to turn it off first. I just tested everything again using my iBook and an old Toshiba laptop, and the sharing works great using a standard ethernet cable.

OP
C

chronogoof89

Padawan said:
Do you have OS X's firewall switched on? The controls are located in the same "Sharing" menu, under the Firewall tab. The internet sharing won't work if the firewall is on, so you'll have to turn it off first. I just tested everything again using my iBook and an old Toshiba laptop, and the sharing works great using a standard ethernet cable.

No. Its switched off. I have restarted the old computer after the cable is set up and the PB is running off of USB. I'm going to see if I can get it to work.
Firewall is off. There shouldn't be any adjustments to the Dell right? Because it doesn't know/care if the service is coming from a router, powerbook, directly from the modem, etc when using a network card.

OP
C

chronogoof89

It worked! Cool guys, thanks so much! Saved me $10! I don't know what I did, but I shut off the Dell until the network was setup, then I started it up with everything going. It didn't work at first. I ran winipcfg and it listed an IP address under the Network card, so I was like... this SHOULD work?! I released that IP and renewed it. I then opened up IE 4 and it loaded yahoo right up! Thanks again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
chronogoof89 said:
No. Its switched off. I have restarted the old computer after the cable is set up and the PB is running off of USB. I'm going to see if I can get it to work.
Firewall is off. There shouldn't be any adjustments to the Dell right? Because it doesn't know/care if the service is coming from a router, powerbook, directly from the modem, etc when using a network card.

I can't imagine that you'd need any adjustments for the Dell (as long as it was working via a direct ethernet connection in the first place). My ancient Toshiba laptop running Windows 98 didn't need any settings changed. Just plugged it in and it worked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
chronogoof89 said:
(see the post above yours)

Thanks for your help!

Oops. Guess I took too long to type it. Glad it works. :D

OP
N

nayda

Internet sharing issues too!!

Padawan said:

Hi. You sound like you may be able to help me as well. I have a g4 and am trying to share my internet connection to connect via BT with my new palm zire 72. I cannot for the life of me understand why my sharing wont enable. It just says that I have not chosen a port through which to share, so I cannot start sharing my internet. I have a port chosen, as far as I know, and it still wont let me. The port, by the way, doesn't offer BT, but I assume airport will take care of that (I hope). Can you help me?

thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.