shared server and Netflix?

PJS

Reaction score
A few days ago I signed up to watch streaming videos on Netflix. Right after I did this, something new started appearing in my finder window: under the "Shared" heading, it now shows a server that had never been there before. At first I panicked because I thought this meant that someone had hacked into my computer, but now I'm wondering whether it's related to my signing up for streaming videos on Netflix. Is the shared server the way Netflix gets the video content to one's computer?

Thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
A few days ago I signed up to watch streaming videos on Netflix. Right after I did this, something new started appearing in my finder window: under the "Shared" heading, it now shows a server that had never been there before. At first I panicked because I thought this meant that someone had hacked into my computer, but now I'm wondering whether it's related to my signing up for streaming videos on Netflix. Is the shared server the way Netflix gets the video content to one's computer?

Not sure? We are Netflix 'streaming only' members w/ 2 screens in our account; my wife usually uses a Roku in the bedroom when on Netflix and I one in the den, i.e. I don't stream to my computer (MBPro) nor is there a 'server' in the 'Shared' area in Finder referenced to Netflix (do 'share' our iMac).

First, what does the icon state (mine says 'David's iMac')? Second, if you have a 'sharing' plan w/ Netflix, it might allow others on your network to share streaming content, so might want to check your plan. Finally, Netflix has a 'Help Center' where you can pose a question. Please post back if you have an explanation - might help others. Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.