Settings to Avoid Upgrade to Mac OS Sierra

Reaction score
I'm still not use to the Mac update system. I want to avoid updating to Mac OS Sierra when it is released. Are these setting right to avoid the download and update? Do I need to do any other setting changes. TIA.

Screen Shot 2016-09-05 at 3.01.02 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Mac OS Sierra will be considered an Upgrade, not an Update. The Mac App Store will tell you when it becomes available, and it will even recommend installing it, but you will need to ok the download, and also authorize the upgrade procedure. You will be able to cancel the upgrade before installation even if it accidentally gets downloaded. Although, it is not a bad thing to have access to the file when you want to install it. Some users will create a bootable USB drive to upgrade when they are ready.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's a good idea to follow what Bob recommended. Download the installation file for macOS Sierra and move/save it to a USB flash drive where you can later create a bootable installer from it. You do not have to install macOS Sierra if you choose not to. Although, I can see no reason why you wouldn't want to install it? You have the latest hardware and are already running El Capitan, so what's the problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As a beta tester for macOS Sierra it is a very solid and fast operating system. What do you have against it, or heard if it concwrns you?

Works just great on my iMac.

OP
ProTruckDriver
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply's. Great information. There isn't any problem, I'm just undecided to wait about a month or two after release date before installing. Maybe I'm use to Windows upgrades with a bunch of bugs, I'm still shell shocked with their Windows 10 bugs.LOL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Well if that is the case don't download it until you are ready. A couple of months is fine, but when people come here and find out they can no longer get a particular OS for their Macs because the OS has been pulled from the Mac App Store, they get upset.

They way I lookout upgrades is, I can usually install it on my MBP upon release, because it is not a machine I need for work, just something to use to pass the time.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thank you for the reply's. Great information. There isn't any problem, I'm just undecided to wait about a month or two after release date before installing. Maybe I'm use to Windows upgrades with a bunch of bugs, I'm still shell shocked with their Windows 10 bugs.LOL

That's why we strongly recommend making a clone backup of your hard drive before applying an upgrade to a new version of OS X. You might be familiar with Acronis True Image from your Windows days? (A very useful utility to clone your Windows installation prior to applying one of Microsoft's updates.)

For OS X, we recommend Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper, two great utilities which will clone your hard drive to an external and render the external bootable so you can always return to your prior state (just like the Acronis utility does for Windows). Make a backup before upgrading to the new version of OS X and then you have nothing to worry about if Murphy's Law gets to you. ;D

OP
ProTruckDriver
Reaction score
For OS X, we recommend Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper, two great utilities which will clone your hard drive to an external and render the external bootable so you can always return to your prior state
Yes, I've been looking at both of them. Don't know which one I'll be using. I have to do a little more reading up on both of them. But I will clone and backup before the upgrade :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another option is to install the new OS to a separate partition or an external drive.

OP
ProTruckDriver
Reaction score
For OS X, we recommend Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper, two great utilities which will clone your hard drive to an external and render the external bootable so you can always return to your prior state
I've decided to go with CCC. I'm using a Seagate 1 TB SSD for Time Machine. What do you here on the Forum recommend for size and type SSD for CCC on the 27" Mac? I read somewhere some types of SSD's don't work with Mac.

M

MacInWin

Some Samsungs have had problems, but most of those were internally installed. I haven't heard of any problems with external SSDs, but then, not many folks use external SSDs, either. As for size, maybe a bit larger than your USED space on the internal, unless you know you plan to add a lot more to it. My clone backup from my 1TB internal SSD is to a 1TB external SSD. I do have archiving turned on on the external, as a backup to TM's archives, but I let CCC be aggressive in cleaning out what it needs so that archive probably doesn't go back very far. If you don't use archiving, and if you don't think you'll grow much on the internal, you can use any drive larger than your USED space.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.