Series 7 watch question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13", 2020, 2.3 Ghz, Quad core i7, 16gb, 1 TB, Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB , Sonoma 14.1.1
I was told the Series 7 watch will not function without an iPhone. Is that accurate?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
It will "function" but only as a watch, it need to be paired to an iPhone to download apps and to use any extra functions.

Actually, the article says it cannot be set up without an iPhone, so I'm not sure it will even tell time without being paired.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Yes and No. Have a look at this link:

You definitely need an iPhone to set up your watch. It explains how you might proceed after setup.

But away from links and articles, to get the best out an (relatively) expensive watch, it's not worth the money if you don't have an iPhone.

Personal view.

Ian

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Ah, Jake and your touch typing:);)

Ian

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13", 2020, 2.3 Ghz, Quad core i7, 16gb, 1 TB, Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB , Sonoma 14.1.1

You definitely need an iPhone to set up your watch. It explains how you might proceed after setup.

But away from links and articles, to get the best out an (relatively) expensive watch, it's not worth the money if you don't have an iPhone.

Personal view.

Ian

Yep. I thought I'd just need the computer. Oh well. :-(

Personal view.

Ian
SIGH ....

I assumed the whole point of the Apple Watch was to AVOID having to keep your phone with you. The fact that your computer or even your iPad can't program it seems bizarre to me. Apple wants you to carry MORE devices rather than fewer? I was able to cancel my order.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
What were you hoping to be able to do besides the basic time keeping functions? Once you set up the watch there are several things you might be able to do. Whether its worth the cost depends upon your uses/needs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The challenge is that the  Watch diid not have connectivity to cellular until later models. It used the iPhone for conncectivity, so it was tethered to it for most of the functions.

Now, you can get a model with cellular service. You do have to pay the cellular provider for that additional connection, but the  Watch can perform MOST of the functions independently, but still have to be set up on on iPhone to do the initial connect to the AppleID that provides the services (Messages, Mail, etc.)

I know you said you canceled the order, but if you decide to try again, look at the models with cellular capability. Set it up with an iPhone to connect to the cell service and you will be able to do a lot of things. Just remember that if you want to change anything on the  Watch, you'll need that iPhone again (not any, THAT one). They are paired together in the setup process.

The  Watch is not a true stand-alone device. It's more of an extension of the iPhone.

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The  Watch is not a true stand-alone device. It's more of an extension of the iPhone.

Yep. I see that now. I should have done more research. That's on me. I just assumed it was a stand alone device and my computer was the common denominator.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It may be more independent in the future. Depends on how much can be crammed into that tiny space. I have not had a cellular-capable  Watch yet, because I always have my iPhone with me, but if it gains independence, I could be talked into one in the future. My  Watch is a Model 6, I may upgrade when the Model 8 comes out.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
The cellular capable models have quite a bit more capability without the iPhone though you need an iPhone for initial setup. I have made phone calls without my phone and IIRC have sent texts from the watch without my phone.

If I can't find a list of things that can be done without the phone I'll try and do some testing.

I'd like to see the option of completing setup on cellular-capable watches via computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.