Sell me a Macbook!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blackbook, iPod Video, iPod Nano Chrome 16gig
Ok, don't worry, I don't want to buy you're Macbooks from you.

Instead, I want you to explain to me why I should get one.
I've been considering a Macbook for my journalism course at Uni, I reckon I need a computer that can help me with all the editing of my broadcasts as well as writing my pieces.
I've been around the forum for a few days and had a number of questions answered (thanks by the way - you've all been very helpful) but now I want a definitive list of reasons why I should get one.

You all seem very passionate aboutyou're own Macs and I hope you can convince me to join the Apple fold.

Cheers

OP
Clueless
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the links, but I was kinda hoping for some more personal experiences.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black 2.2 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, Super Drive
Thanks for the links, but I was kinda hoping for some more personal experiences.

It all depends on what you need it for? Will you be gaming? If so how much/often? I don't recommend Mac to gamers. The occasional game can be run on bootcamp which allows you to install a windows OS on your mac.

Will you be doing graphic design? If so how much/often? I'd recommend the macbook pro if this will be your primary use.

Will you be using it to download stuff/browse the web, check your email, and check write an occasional word document? I'd look at the regular macbook if this will be your primary use.

Personally, I fall in the latter group. Nothing to graphic intensive but still fast enough for my daily uses.

Some of the things I like in Leopard:

Spaces offers numerous work spaces, which is helpful on the regular macbook, which has 13.3" WS. You can have your programs open up in different "spaces" and it will automatically switch to that space.

Leopard also comes with a built in preview function. You can view any document/video/song by hitting the space bottom. You can even make changes without ever having to open it up. You shouldn't have any problems finding the necessary hardware for whatever your needs.

Mac's also come with a built in camera and mic. So it's handy if you need it.

Things I don't like about Leopard:

Stacks, basically useless to me. And I hate the fact that it uses the icon of the last modified item. Since it isn't static you never really know what that folder is. This is by no means a deal breaker. I just don't use it.

That's about it really. I like everything else about leopard.

When it comes down to it, you need to fulfill your needs. So far my 2 week old macbook has done just that for me.

OP
Clueless
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would use it mostly for writing, some basic video editing, surfing the net and listening to and downloading music. There are desktop Macs (I dont know what specs) available to use at the Uni, I figured that I could use one of them if I had to do anything intensive and just save the Macbook for any work that I can do elsewhere plus personal use. I figure that I should get a Macbook to keep the continuity between the Uni's facilities and my own.

Thanks for all the help so far!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Stacks, basically useless to me. And I hate the fact that it uses the icon of the last modified item. Since it isn't static you never really know what that folder is. This is by no means a deal breaker. I just don't use it.

10.5.2 fixed that. You can edit the stack so just the folder shows as it did in 10.4 but with the 10.5 styled folder of course. Just right the stack and choose display as folder. And you can chose to open the folder in a grid, fan and 10.4 styled list now too by right clicking the folder and choosing the option you want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black 2.2 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, Super Drive
10.5.2 fixed that. You can edit the stack so just the folder shows as it did in 10.4 but with the 10.5 styled folder of course. Just right the stack and choose display as folder. And you can chose to open the folder in a grid, fan and 10.4 styled list now too by right clicking the folder and choosing the option you want.

I didn't realize they fixed this. I'm currently running 10.5.4 if i remember correctly. I'll have to look at that when I get home. Thanks for the tip.

OP
Clueless
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See, this is why I like this forum (thus tempting me into looking at Macbooks), it's the fact that everyone seems willing to help each other with this stuff. Surely it must be a great machine if the people that use it are like this.

Keep any info you reckon will help me coming, and thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First gen Mac Pro, Dual 2.66
I think the only way you'll truly appreciate a Mac is to sit down and use one. The only advice I can give is, if you get a macbook and end up not liking OS X, you can just install Windows on it and still have a very nice laptop

OP
Clueless
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's even possible to have both isn't is??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First gen Mac Pro, Dual 2.66
It's even possible to have both isn't is??

Very much.. you can dual boot the two, and Windows works very well on Mac hardware. I was just saying that if it turns out you can't stand OS X (which I don't imagine will happen), you can use it exclusively for Windows. That kind of choice can completely eliminate buyers remorse

OP
Clueless
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I'm about 95% convinced. All I'm worried about is cost (although I can get some help with that - although I'm not sure how much, plus there is a student discount??) and I'm not sure how easy it is to to pick up and use. However, I'm sure that that can be solved by asking a few questions on here.

Thanks for all the help you guys have given me over the past few days.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.