Seeing Scanner on a wifi Macbook Pro

Reaction score
Hello. Probably a dumb question, and I'm missing something obvious, but...

MacMini, SSD.
Partner's machine: Macbook Pro.

We share a Canon 7700 Pixma Printer/scanner.

Connected by a LAN - not permanently.

When partner wants to print, all she has to do is print. Not sure whether our shared connection to the Router enables this, or her Wifi connection to the Canon.

When she wants to SCAN, then she has to do it on my MacMini, as her Printer/Scanner preferences don't list any scanners. On my machine, Canon is listed as a scanner, so is our other machine, an Epsom.

What am I missing? I want the main scanner, i.e. the Canon, to be visible on her Printer/Scanner prefs, so she can at least access it through the 'Open Scanner' option which would give her access to basic scanning, from her Macbook.

Did I set up the Canon wrongly in the first place (by getting it to set up with a USB connection)? Have I got to do it all again, or is there a work-round?

Thanks.

Allen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
Has she tried scanning using the Image Capture app?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I've had Canon All In One units in the past and the scanner did not show up until I used the Canon Network Software to add it. Not sure if that is true for this model. Mine were Pixma 980 vintage so that may not still apply.

OP
A
Reaction score
nicky. No, but as no scanner listed on Print/scanner prefs, I have doubts.

Slydude. I think that means I’ll try a simple re-install from the CD and do a wifi connection.

A

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
That's what I had to do but as I say that was some time ago. What happens if you go into the Printers/Scanners preference pane, and try to add it? you may have to remove the curent one first.

OP
A
Reaction score
Can’t see any scanners at all from her pane, try to add, still none. The all-in-one only shows as a printer, not a scanner.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Check Cannon's web site for updated software, specific to your All-In-One?

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks all, I’ll have another go in the morning - bedtime here for elderly Englishman...

Allen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7
This is probably a driver issue, the mac is only recognizing it as a printer and not as an AIO device. Try adding the device again with the latest drivers from Canon or try using the Airprint/Bonjour driver of the mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Thanks all, I’ll have another go in the morning - bedtime here for elderly Englishman...

To get that Canon's scanner to show in the System Prefs > Printers and Scanners, use it to add the scanner with the Canon AIO powered ON, but use the Bonjour method, not the Network or whatever the other option is, and follow directions.

The Bonjour option may take a bit before it shows and then just follow directions.

That fixed my own problem with my Canon AIO for wireless work when the "recommended" methods didn't.

Hopefully that will fix her problem.

- Patrick
======

OP
A
Reaction score
This is what I did.

I know far less about Macs etc than might be obvious at first sight (a little learning is a dangerous thing).

Our two Macs, my Mini, my partner's Macbook, are connected to the www by a router. We each have a separate Ethernet line, but for no good reason, keep our wifi connections turned on as well. In my partner's case, it means she can unplug her machine and take it to another room. In my case, no reason.

Our common printer/scanner, the Canon 7750, is connected to my Mini by USB. My wife can print to it by simply hitting Command P and printing. She can also print to it from her iPad, again just by hitting the print button.

So, back to what I did.

I downloaded new drivers for the 7750 from Canon, both a general driver for the 'whole' machine, and a specific driver for the scanning part of it. I installed these as far as I could on the Macbook - as far as I could, as MP drivers wouldn't be found or downloaded, but as the Macbook still printed, I ignored that. As for scanning, well, for the first time we got somewhere. I could access the 'scan' function and then 'Open Scanner'.

First time, worked fine. Second time, said there was a 'communication error'. If I still drank, I'd have had one.

Restarted the Macbook yet again, and then it scanned fine, ten times or more, so I'll chalk it up as a success.

Now I want to learn about local area networks, and how I've set mine up (accidentally), just so I know for the next time.

Allen.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
OP
A
Reaction score
Ferrarr. Sorry, yes. I HAD posted saying how it had all turned to dust, then tried restarting, and it was all okay, and maybe you saw the FIRST posting, which I rapidly changed when it all came good again. Life, eh?

Anyway, my Mini is on High Sierra, on an SSD. Partner's Macbook is El Capitan, as it's a 2008 model and won't take High Sierra. Also running on an SSD.

I used your first Canon link - the second one seems to be for earlier OS levels.

Allen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I used your first Canon link - the second one seems to be for earlier OS levels.

Allen.
I posted two links, because they were for different model printers, and I wasn't sure which one you owned, as 7750, was within each models products supported.

As for adding the scanner, see this Apple Support Article, https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204790, and also, look near the bottom for "How to connect to a network shared printer" section.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
… … …
Our common printer/scanner, the Canon 7750, is connected to my Mini by USB. My wife can print to it by simply hitting Command P and printing. She can also print to it from her iPad, again just by hitting the print button.
… … …
Allen.

That printer/scanner will work very well as a wireless printer with all your Macs or iDevices, and no need to "share" it or connected to your Mac mini.

https://www.canon.co.uk/support/con...14-1296185&os=OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)&language=

PS: I find it handy to keep the Print Queue in the Dock for quick access.

IE:
Screen Shot 2018-06-04 at 10.00.21 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-06-04 at 9.59.33 AM.png

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
OP
A
Reaction score
Right-**, so this is where we are (and thanks for the links, everyone).

It WAS a driver issue. Once I'd loaded the latest scanner and printer drivers from Canon into her Macbook, I had some sort of connection.

But when I was working on her machine, I pulled out the ethernet lead, so I was working only on wifi.

And had all sorts of 'communication' problems with the scanner.

Once I had put her ethernet lead back in the communication problems disappeared, and she had scanner access.

Now, is this because my original setting up of the Canon was wrong? Did I choose the wrong type of connections? I would have chosen 'USB' as the connecting option, because it was on my machine, and that's how I'd always connected my scanners.

Should I have chosen some sort of wifi connection during that set up process? Should I do it all again, and if so, would it be better? (Blimey, lot of question-marks).

Our machines live in the same room, so why are we on a network? Well, sometimes she wants a file that I have, and the easiest way seems to be to Connect to Server, connect to her Mac, and drop it onto her desktop.

Our Mac set-up has evolved rather than been planned. Should we start again?

Thanks.

Allen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Since it is a portable computer, I would confirm everything will work using Wi-Fi. Unless, it never gets used at home away from this room?

OP
A
Reaction score
Yes, it's a portable, and sometimes gets moved from its static location to other rooms in the flat, hence her keeping it on Ethernet and wifi, so she can just pull out the Ethernet cable if she needs to.

Anyway, development on that front: this morning, first thing, her scanner was fine. An hour later, it wasn't. I thought it might be something to do with the networking, so turned my machine off completely, so it was just her Macbook versus the Canon. Worked a couple of times, then stopped.

Latest, not working - still throws up that super-annoying 'communications problem' panel.

Tried restarting her Macbook, etc., several times, but nothing works.

All this is very silly, of course. Things either work or they don't work - this one has a mind of its own, which of course it doesn't!

Any ideas?

Allen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does the printer power down? Maybe there is a setting on the printer, to not power down?

OP
A
Reaction score
No, no power down. In fact we leave it on permanently to save ink (consumes a bit in the on/off process).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.