SD Card - cannot write to

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24 w/OS Sonoma 14.2.1, iPad Mini 6 64Gb, iPhone 13, wife has iPad Pro, iPad Mini and iPhone 15
I have been transferring photos from camera and wife's computer to my iMac.

I am now unable to erase the cards after the transfer has taken place.

The lock slide on the card has not been moved, it can still be erased on the wife's MBA

Any ideas as to what is going on here? Are the SD slots on the iMac prone to failure?

Was working okay, then all of a sudden I was unable to format or erase the card.

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I have been transferring photos from camera and wife's computer to my iMac.

I am now unable to erase the cards after the transfer has taken place.

The lock slide on the card has not been moved, it can still be erased on the wife's MBA

Any ideas as to what is going on here? Are the SD slots on the iMac prone to failure?

Was working okay, then all of a sudden I was unable to format or erase the card.

Hi Dave - not sure that I can help w/o some further information - first, when you removed the SD card from your iMac, did you eject it properly in Finder? If not, that can be an issue. Second, do other SD cards work in your computer, i.e. may be a problem w/ that specific card?

Plus, please provide more information about your computer (e.g. model/year & OS X installed) - if you have used the SD slot a lot, then possibly the contacts have been contaminated - a few gentle shots of compressed air might help?

I'll stop there and let you respond - Dave :)

Reaction score
Also, you best bet is to format in the camera. At least that's been my experience.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24 w/OS Sonoma 14.2.1, iPad Mini 6 64Gb, iPhone 13, wife has iPad Pro, iPad Mini and iPhone 15
Thanks to you both.

If I am using it in the camera that is where I format it. If I am using it to transfer photos or send to another OSX user, I like to format on the iMac.

The card was ejected in the correct manner. NO SD card can be written to.

I raised the matter at the Apple Store yesterday and they had not heard of this problem. Advised to bring it in, which I will do in the near future.

Thanks once again

Dave A

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
Dave, may I suggest you try the SD Card Formatter - it's by the people, who actually developed the standard.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dave, may I suggest you try the SD Card Formatter - it's by the people, who actually developed the standard.[/Q

G'day Dave,
The issue here is not the formatting of the card. I have other ways to do that.

The issue is that the iMac has all of a sudden stopped allowing anything to be written through the SD Card slot.

That is my issue.

Thanks all the same

Dave A

Reaction score
Do you have it locked on the SD card? Or when you formatted the card do you have it so other computers can't make changes?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
What's the size of the problem SDs? What format are they?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.